Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Repairing tear in seat foam

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Repairing tear in seat foam

In the process of recovering my 2000 camaro SS seats, they are in great shape overall, but the drivers side, inside bolster has a rip in it, it doesn't go all the way through, but it needs repaired before the new covers go on.

I'm not sure how to ago about this? I'd imagine some sort of glue/adhesive and then some sort of tape??

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by 98RedBird; 11-17-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3m trim adhesive in the aerosol can is your best bet at this point since you're DIY. Make sure you "seat" the foam back on the ridge that the wire frame created (it will look like a rusty line on the foam). Spray liberally on the two surfaces. Let it dry a little and get tacky and press together. If you don't get foam back to the original area, so to speak, on the wire frame before you glue it back together , it will be lop sided. Hope this makes sense.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

If you want longevity, I would used a product specifically geared for foam like 3m foam fast 74. From expirience I would not use the typically readily available contact adhesives like 3m super 77.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Foam is breaking down and getting crumbly. Foam will pull away from the bonded surfaces no matter what 3m is used. Wrap the wire in said area to lessen the "sharpness" and delay the same happening too soon. Watching how you enter and exit the seat goes a long way on this happening or not. "Scrubbing" the seat going in and out and sitting on the edge of seat causes this. Just the way the car is built.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

We will all need new seat foam sooner or later, IMHO.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I wound up doing was super 77 (green can), gluing everything back together, after seated as previously mentioned, and then duct taping that entire bolster. It's holding very tight now that the seat covers are back on.

Plus it's the drivers side interior bolster, which is odd, but it should see very little wear/use, so I'm not too worried. The drivers side outer bolster, which is usually destroyed, was perfect.

I'm wondering if someone at some point, replaced the foam with a passengers side.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
We will all need new seat foam sooner or later, IMHO.
The drivers seat in my Firehawk is notably harder and uncomfortable compared to the passenger seat. I'd like to replace the foam, but haven't found a vendor that sells an OEM-equivalent replacement yet. And I've looked. Any suggestions would be welcome in terms of locating a vendor.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
I'm wondering if someone at some point, replaced the foam with a passengers side.
Either that or it was a big guy that sat with Detroit lean all the time
Old 11-24-2014, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

I've swapped passenger foam from donor car to my drivers. Excellent way to make seat look like it should. I've posted this before. Just cut seat foam out of the cover and pay for that part. Otherwise, you'll pay for the scrap metal(frame) when you remove whole seat. Red/black houndstooth interior getting close, pics to follow. Just gotta take care of paying customers first before finishing.

Quick Reply: Repairing tear in seat foam