Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Does anyone make the ss spoiler light cover in clear plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 01:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Does anyone make the ss spoiler light cover in clear plastic?

I was wondering if these already exist and buy one off the shelf if they do?

Want to try something different by using my ss spoiler light as reverse light and spray all of tails red.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You talking about getting rid of your third brake light? I would rethink that of its a street car, expect to receive a few tickets for it. As far as an actual clear piece, I don't think it exists solely because it would be illegal unless you change the leds in the spoiler red.

Last edited by jaxcam02; 03-23-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
You taking about getting rid of your third brake light? I would rethink that of its a street car, expect to receive a few tickets for it. As far as an actual clear piece, I don't think it exists solely because it would be illegal unless you change the leds in the spoiler red.
correct. if the car came with a 3rd brake light it must retain it. my 92 dakota for example doesn't have one from the factory so it is exempt from this.

If you made it clear, it would have to be a red bulb, and would HAVE to be a brake light
Old 03-24-2015, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

uh what?

Never knew something like this existed, I figured since the actual rear tails are still there and functional the spoiler brake light in clear white would be fine.

I figured the clear spoiler light would be OK as reverse light, in case I cover the entire tail lights in red.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It's federal law for all passenger vehicles to have a third brake light to compensate for a burned bulb in the other two. And companies won't produce something without DOT approval, unless there's a large enough off road market. And for something like this there is not. But I have seen clear lenses for the third brake light but I believe it's a whole module and the lights are still red.

If you take a ride around town. Look at every single car truck and van on the road. They all have a third center brake light.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

No, I believe you Just a lil surprised by it.
I thought I had a good solution to having a reverse light and still have all red tails.

Last thing I want is someone driving into me when I'm pulling out of a parking spot and they claim the obvious that I didn't have reverse lights.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
No, I believe you Just a lil surprised by it.
I thought I had a good solution to having a reverse light and still have all red tails.

Last thing I want is someone driving into me when I'm pulling out of a parking spot and they claim the obvious that I didn't have reverse lights.
Haha yeah unfortunately, you cannot. You'd have to install auxiliary reverse lights somewhere .

Like we've said, if the car came with a 3rd brake light from the factory, it has to retain it. Older cars do not. I think it started in the early 90s. again, my 92 dakota doesn't have one, so the law doesn't apply to me lol.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm currently designing a clear brake light housing for the TA high rise spoiler. maybe when i'm done with that i'll work on one for the SS, but i'd have to get my hands on one for measurements.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98TAjwh
i'm currently designing a clear brake light housing for the TA high rise spoiler. maybe when i'm done with that i'll work on one for the SS, but i'd have to get my hands on one for measurements.
If you make one, please post it!
Old 03-25-2015, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have one partially made that i'll be test fitting this afternoon. I don't want to post any pics till it's finished . but this will happen
Old 03-31-2015, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should check your state law first. In NJ, title 399 clearly states that a vehicle is required to have only 2 stop lamps or more.

"39:3-61. (a) Every motor vehicle other than a motor cycle and other than a motor-drawn vehicle shall be equipped on the front with at least two headlamps, an equal number at each side, and with two turn signals, one on each side; and on the rear with two tail lamps, two or more stop lamps, as prescribed by section 2 of P.L.2013, c.230 (C.39:3-66.3), two turn signals, and two reflectors, one of each at each side; except that a passenger vehicle manufactured before July 2, 1954, and registered in this State may be equipped with one stop lamp, one reflector, and one tail lamp and is not required to be equipped with turn signals. In addition, every motor vehicle shall be equipped with adequate license plate illumination, and with one or more lamps capable of providing parking light as required in R.S.39:3-62. Turn signals are not required on the rear of a truck tractor equipped with double-faced turn signals on or near the front and so constructed and located as to be visible to passing drivers."

Also, you could wire up a switchback led setup in the 3rd brake light. White when in reverse and red when on the brake.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
You should check your state law first. In NJ, title 399 clearly states that a vehicle is required to have only 2 stop lamps or more.

"39:3-61. (a) Every motor vehicle other than a motor cycle and other than a motor-drawn vehicle shall be equipped on the front with at least two headlamps, an equal number at each side, and with two turn signals, one on each side; and on the rear with two tail lamps, two or more stop lamps, as prescribed by section 2 of P.L.2013, c.230 (C.39:3-66.3), two turn signals, and two reflectors, one of each at each side; except that a passenger vehicle manufactured before July 2, 1954, and registered in this State may be equipped with one stop lamp, one reflector, and one tail lamp and is not required to be equipped with turn signals. In addition, every motor vehicle shall be equipped with adequate license plate illumination, and with one or more lamps capable of providing parking light as required in R.S.39:3-62. Turn signals are not required on the rear of a truck tractor equipped with double-faced turn signals on or near the front and so constructed and located as to be visible to passing drivers."

Also, you could wire up a switchback led setup in the 3rd brake light. White when in reverse and red when on the brake.
It's federal law to have a high mount third brake light and has been on the books since 1986. Lots of states don't really care if it works or not and only require the main two to work to pass a state inspection, but the third brake light is there none-the-less.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

From what I read, it is a federal law that manufacturers must equip a vehicle with a 3rd brake light. I'm not sure what year, but it is odd that my 92 Dakota doesn't have one from the factory haha.

I'm sure if you disable you third brake light and you get rear ended, the person who rear ended you can blame your non-functioning 3rd brake light. Somehow... lol.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TechCam97
It's federal law to have a high mount third brake light and has been on the books since 1986. Lots of states don't really care if it works or not and only require the main two to work to pass a state inspection, but the third brake light is there none-the-less.
Ok? Here's a simple example.

http://norml.org/laws/item/federal-penalties-2

So like I said, check your local state laws as the federal police won't be pulling you over and writing a traffic citation for your federally required 3rd brake light.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Ok? Here's a simple example.

Blah

Blah

Blah
Calm your ****, bro. Just explaining why it's there. Did I ever say you were wrong? Did you even read my post? I agreed with you. I said some states don't even care. Again: Calm. Your. Damn. ****.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Calm your ****, bro. Just explaining why it's there. Did I ever say you were wrong? Did you even read my post? I agreed with you. I said some states don't even care. Again: Calm. Your. Damn. ****.
It was worded very poorly, still doesn't read the way you explained, and I don't have ****, bro.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ThoR294
Haha yeah unfortunately, you cannot. You'd have to install auxiliary reverse lights somewhere .

Like we've said, if the car came with a 3rd brake light from the factory, it has to retain it. Older cars do not. I think it started in the early 90s. again, my 92 dakota doesn't have one, so the law doesn't apply to me lol.
Fun fact - it started in '86. A prime illustration of this is the F-Body. Look at an '85 Fbody - no CHMSL. Look at the CHMSL on an '86 Fbody. It's plopped on top of the hatch glass (external). In '87, it was integrated into the interior shining through the glass. Basically in '86 they just scrambled to meet the requirement and bolted it on.

FWIW, I was hoping to find a clear lens that I could lightly smoke and use red LEDs. Haven't found anything yet.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess a whole ton of manufacturers were breaking federal law then since many cars didn't come with 3rd brake lights even in the early 90s. My parents had a 91 Ford that didn't have one for example.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO

I guess a whole ton of manufacturers were breaking federal law then since many cars didn't come with 3rd brake lights even in the early 90s. My parents had a 91 Ford that didn't have one for example.
yeah. like i said my 92 dakota dont have one lol
Old 04-03-2015, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThoR294
yeah. like i said my 92 dakota dont have one lol
It wasn't extended to trucks until the early 90s. 1994 I believe.

Quick Reply: Does anyone make the ss spoiler light cover in clear plastic?