Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LED Strip Rear Parking Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default LED Strip Rear Parking Lights

I'm always trying to update the Trans Am so it doesn't look like an 18 year old car...

Previously, I updated my headlights for the BLS HID projector kit, and converted my DRL/Signal housing to switch back LED bars. Now I've converted all my interior lights to red LEDs and my rear parking lights to LED strips. I tapped into the parking lights, disabled the low signal wire to the 3157 sockets, and removed the 194 bulb. The 5050 weatherproof LED strip is attached to the bottom and edge of the tail light housing. So now when the parking lights are on, only the strip illuminates. Brake and signal remain the same. These aren't the best shots so I'll try and take some better night time shots later.

With brake/signal light.

Interior Red LEDs and cargo area strips.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you are not asking for opinions, I don't think you need to do anything to update the car though, yours look great as is, and I still get looks in stock form. But with that being said I think (if you are open to it) you should consider doing something like this with the leds wrapping all around the tail lights and filler panel. I know most people here don't wanna imitate the mopar crowd but I really like that styling choice by them.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

This was my first try and I usually go through a few iterations before I settle on what I like. I think I need to diffuse the LEDs so you don't see the individual lights, but I haven't seen how mine look at night yet and I don't know if I want to compromise the light output. I do like the full wrap on MOPAR cars, though. I just need to figure out how to do it cleanly and still be able to remove the tail light housings when I need to.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a shot at dusk. I'm liking how it looks in general, but I feel it's missing something when it's completely dark out, like it needs to give the car more shape.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

would adding a second strip on top of that one fill it out more(wider) and make it more noticeable?
Old 10-26-2016, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Not that I thought it wouldn't look good but that dusk shot looks a lot better then I imagined it would. If you want more of a car shape then maybe just continue on the bottom across the filler panel, that way it wont look so abrupt when it ends.

Very cool though.

Edit: I wanted to ask also but clicked post too fast. Are the LED stripes on the outside of the housing outlining it, or are they in the space with the small gap?
Old 10-27-2016, 03:02 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, I'd like to see it wrapped around the entire lights.

Nice job.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bandit2000
Edit: I wanted to ask also but clicked post too fast. Are the LED stripes on the outside of the housing outlining it, or are they in the space with the small gap?
They're actually on the outside of the housing, but behind the lip. They are projecting into the gap between the housing and the bumper (thank goodness for giant panel gaps...). The problem with that, though, is that from the rear, you can't see the lights wrapping around the bend since the curve faces the light output to the sides. That's why the light seems to end toward the outside the the car. You can see what I mean in the third picture in the original post.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

as I said in the Bird section I really like this idea. I actually wanted to do reverse honeycomb lights using a set of clear lenses from 6le, but ran out of free time. this makes me think of that project and I really like what you have done here.

In regards to more shape I wonder what it would look like if you went around the outside corners of the tail light and maybe stopped at the trunk deck? would provide more curvature to the light strip without going all the way around the tails and filler panel I personally think that look would be a bit much on a bird. Not because of it being similar to the charger, I just think it would look weird since the back of the car is rounded off as opposed to how the charger has that squareish inset area for the tails and filler that compliment the look of the light strip.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm not really a fan. You did a good job but I think it cheapens the car. MAYBE if it was a complete 360. But even then, it just look like you went to Walmart and bought some cheap strip LED's and then stuck em on your car. IMHO.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
as I said in the Bird section I really like this idea. I actually wanted to do reverse honeycomb lights using a set of clear lenses from 6le, but ran out of free time. this makes me think of that project and I really like what you have done here.
I actually wanted to try and use a 6LE housing, but they're hard to get a hold of.

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I'm not really a fan. You did a good job but I think it cheapens the car. MAYBE if it was a complete 360. But even then, it just look like you went to Walmart and bought some cheap strip LED's and then stuck em on your car. IMHO.
I hear ya. One of the reasons I really want to figure out to diffuse them so they look like a solid strip. EL wire was another thought but I don't know if the would be bright enough.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's my original photoshop concept. The smoked tail lights and solid light might make be making the difference.

And this is a photoshop of a full width light.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Qcon
Here's my original photoshop concept. The smoked tail lights and solid light might make be making the difference.

I couldn't figure it out before, and I normally disliked the LT1 tail lights, but that is the vibe I get from this. It's got that same grid style with the strip. The smoked lights really made it stand out. Looks really cool because its something different
Old 10-31-2016, 09:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

isnt there a lip where the lense actually hangs over the housing for the tail lamp?

if so I cant remember if the paintwork is on the outside of the lense or not but you could see if you can remove the coloring from the lense where the lip over hangs (saddly this might ruin a set of tails though) The rougher texture would help to act as a diffuser for the red led's. something I had planned when I did my turnsignal LED's for my front bumper, but ended up not going through with as the stip had a silocone wrap on it that helped diffuse the light quite a bit.

that said you could dry these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-2x-60cm-...5Xdh5e&vxp=mtr
Old 10-31-2016, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit2000
I couldn't figure it out before, and I normally disliked the LT1 tail lights, but that is the vibe I get from this. It's got that same grid style with the strip. The smoked lights really made it stand out. Looks really cool because its something different
Yeah, that looks pretty sharp.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
I may have to check those out to see if they're bright enough.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

3 years later, I finally was able to work on the tail lights. I replaced the strips with LED tubes and went full width. I like it a lot better. Any idea how to separate the turn signal from the brake signal? I'd like to incorporate a sequential turn signal into the LED tube and use the original sockets just for brakes.

Daylight

Dusk

Before

The following users liked this post:
PhoenixPhile (08-04-2020)
Old 12-02-2019, 11:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

Needs to go around the whole light and panel. As I was scrolling down, I was hoping to see you ended up doing it that way.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks sick! Where did you get the LED tube? I have been wrestling with the idea of blacking out my tails, but I think this combination looks great and maintains visibility.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1BadElky
That looks sick! Where did you get the LED tube? I have been wrestling with the idea of blacking out my tails, but I think this combination looks great and maintains visibility.
Got them from superbrightleds. They're 15% off today for Cyber Monday.

Quick Reply: LED Strip Rear Parking Lights