Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Formula Leather --> Z28 Swap Complete! - PICS, Tips....

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Formula Leather --> Z28 Swap Complete! - PICS, Tips....

From the day I bought my car I hated my Safari-style tan cloth interior. I finally decided it was time to get some ebony leather in there, and after exploring some aftermarket companies, I decided the cheapest way to do it was to gut it and take all the pieces from another F-Body. Found a wrecked 2001 Formula donor from John at J&T Auto (TKAYRC3 on this board), who is a great guy and very helpful. Then I got to work - I replaced the headliner, carpet, door panels, seat belts and front and rear seats. Here are some things to know if you are to attempt this swap.

STEP 1: Admit you have a problem. Face it - the stock interior is disgusting and is ruining the look of your car:

STEP 2: Find a donor car. Like I said, John (TKAYR3C) gets a lot of wrecked F-Bodies and sells the parts (check the Parts For Sale section)- good guy, helped me a lot.

2001 Forumula

It took me almost 4 hours to gut this car - if you want to do it faster, here are a few tips:
  • Power the battery - this way you can move the power seats and get to those hard to reach bolts. I didnt and it cost me a lot of time.
  • Give yourself room - I obviously didn't have a choice here, the donor car was jammed between 2 other vehicles and not movable. Made for some very uncomfortable positioning of my 6'5 frame.
  • Have the right tools - You will need a full wratchet set as well as torx set, not to mention a weird tool John had to remove that disc that secures the delicate headliner between the T's.
  • Don't take short cuts - remove everything, including the console even though it's a pain in the ***. Remove the shift ****, it will help get it off.
  • Oh and don't do it in the rain (like I did)
STEP 3: Gut your Car.
Since you now have done this once, it should be easier - you know where everything is and what tool is to be used.

STEP 4: Install new pieces.

Strange as it may sound, the carpet just lays down and then you secure all the pieces around it to hold it in. Since my donor car was a Formula, we did have some issues with the door panels:
  • They fit, but only one screw in the center is really holding them in place. You could fab a bracket to match the original door panel (which I still might do if it give me problems) but right now it seems fine.
  • The power mirror harnesses do not match - John is working on making me a new harness, you'll note the Camaro harness is round and the Formula harness is flat/rectangular. Not a huge deal but be aware. That is John below working on the wiring! Its the only pic I have of the finished product right now, I will post more when it is cleaned up and my headrest decals are on!
Thank you also ot JLMoses who also did this swap - he PM'd me some info (and encouragement) to do this.

I can't believe the difference it makes in my car. Now the inside looks like a sports car instead of a Ford Windstar. More pics coming soon!

Last edited by mako22; 07-16-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome!! Make sure to post some more pics!!!
Old 07-20-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great man. See it isnt all that hard just time consumming. As soon as i get back home from W. Va I'll Show u my pics. Well hope u like it all. Enjoy. Laterz
Justin
Old 07-20-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

looks really good. we told you the door panels would fit with just a lil work. hey is that the normal T/A wing on that firehawk in the pic or is that the one that comes on certain firehawks? if so would you be willing to sell it if it is the rare one?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:59 PM
PCG
Staging Lane

sweet mako, that interior looks awesome...

That's a pretty sweet deal for $600 too, seat covers cost that much alone.

Keep up the good work.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:15 PM
Third Chrome Wheel Director

Nice Mako, it does look 1000% better, and I'm sure you'll be more comfortable in the TA seats.....
Old 07-20-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSICK
hey is that the normal T/A wing on that firehawk in the pic or is that the one that comes on certain firehawks? if so would you be willing to sell it if it is the rare one?

That wing came on the 2001 10th anniversary firehawks. For 2002 it was optional for all TA firehawks.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Hey man, I'm happy for ya. When I went to buy a car 1 thing that was a MUST...leather seats. I love them. Like you said makes your car look alot more sportier
Old 01-05-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

How is the leather on those seats holding up Mako22? I just closed the deal with two board members for some Ebony T/A seats. One is selling me the rears and the other the fronts. Both are from 02 models I believe. Seeing this post earlier this summer is what got me hooked on the Pontiac interior. Thanks for the write up.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

hahahahaha...us Bird owners gotta love this thread!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Poor hawk, at least the parts will live on
Old 01-06-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Addict

So you transferred the seats and the door panels as well? It looks amazing! I've always loved the TA/Formula seats and door panels....

I wish I could do this.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Looks good. I'm glad my car came with all that from the factory. LOL
Old 01-06-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

In that first pic does that Firebird have a Camaro dash in it? I thought the dash would look like a T/A dash.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Nice job, waiting for more
Old 01-06-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
hahahahaha...us Bird owners gotta love this thread!
You're damn right. Them Camaro guys are envious!

Looks nice. I, too, love my cheap GM leather. Your Camaro is one of my faves.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

It looks a thousand times better. Leather is a must.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Teching In

that looks amazing
Old 01-06-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by epic
You're damn right. Them Camaro guys are envious!

Looks nice. I, too, love my cheap GM leather. Your Camaro is one of my faves.

You know I really like the Hawk's and their seat's too but isn't that a "CHEVY" engine in that Hawk.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the compliments guys, I really busted my *** doing that job. Made such a huge difference in my car, I can't believe I waited so long to do it (to me 6 mos is forever).

As for the leather, it's holding up great. Even the door panels (secured only by one screw under the handle) are fine. For those who asked, I replaced EVERYTHING (carpet, seats, door panels, headliner, visors, etc) and I'm definitely happy with the results.

MORE PICS: www.mako22.homestead.com/interior.html

Also here's a pic where you can see the decals I put on the headrests - it's the same 35th Anniversary logo (I know I made it up....) that is in my sig pic. The decals have held up well for the past few months, if they come off I'll get it done by the guy on here that does embroidery - I think they really set the seats off!!!

Quick Reply: Formula Leather --> Z28 Swap Complete! - PICS, Tips....