Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Almost finished cleaning up paint, but have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Almost finished cleaning up paint, but have a few questions

A while ago, I posted my plan to clean up my paint which was pretty bad. So far, it turned out great, but I'm a little unsure on what to do next. Here is what was done so far:

1. Picked up a PC7424 <---- Great investment
2. Took a claybar to the whole car
3. 3m Fine-cut RC- 1 coat yellow LC cutting pad
4. 3m Swirlmark Remover for Dark Colored Cars - 2 coats white LC polishing pad
5. Meguiars show car glaze - 1 coat black LC finishing pad
6. Meguiars NXT - 1 coat hand applied

Here is the first question... I was planning on topping it with Meg #16 for the NXT/16 combo, but I was curious if I should hit it with the NXT booster wax first or just top it off with the 16 and be done with it.

What about maintenance? The car(5k miles per year) is garaged and mostly driven at night so it doesnt really see too much sunlight or other elements (rain, sap, bird ****). The 16 is supposed to last for a pretty good amount of time but how do I maintain it once it starts to loose its luster? Should I use a pre-wax cleaner then glaze/NXT/16 or hit it with the 3m SMR then glaze/NXT/16?

Any ideas on how long the NXT/16 combo should last?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-28-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

I would go straight to the #16. No booster wax.

For maintenance, I would pick up a good QD. Meguiar's has one available locally...Mist & Shine, I believe. There are also tons of great ones you can order. Using a good wash and QD will help extend the life of you protectant.

There's no real need for a pre-cleaner with your product selections.

Durability is too dependant on the climate, etc. but I could see 2-3 months pretty easily...possibly longer.

NXT has cleaning abilities, so it may remove part of the glaze.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would simply keep applying NXT. get a few coats on and it will look fantastic. apply wax once a month since it takes so little time. between waxing i would apply some qucik wax as said above. and possibly a california duster to keep it nice and clean
Old 07-28-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Layering more than 2 coats of NXT won't get you anywhere, due to the cleaning properties.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Listen to ZaneO. He knows his stuff.

I tried to apply multiple layers of NXT and gives you an initial appearance of more shine, but it really is just an illusion, since the protection didn't last very long, indicating (to me, at least) that the second layer helped remove the first layer.

Quick detailers are definitely the way to go, but I don't really like the NXT spray wax because it tends to be splotchy.

-Mike
Old 07-28-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

NXT's booster wax is meant to be sprayed, spread, and hazed before removing, so it's not really a QD and won't work like a QD will.

Meguiar's Quick Detailer Mist & Wipe works for removing light dust, finger prints, smudges, water spots, etc. but doesn't add much gloss. For gloss, etc. you'll have to go to the internet.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the input. I'll go straight to the 16. But I guess what I was getting at is when its time to reapply wax, say 4 times per year, how many steps back do I have to do to end up with the same result as i have now.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-29-2004, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

I'm trying out the NXT/16 combo next week. I ordered the Meguiar's Last Touch for maintenance.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike00FRC
Thanks for the input. I'll go straight to the 16. But I guess what I was getting at is when its time to reapply wax, say 4 times per year, how many steps back do I have to do to end up with the same result as i have now.

Thanks,

Mike
No one can tell you that. It's really dependent on the condition of the paint. The more you take care of it, the less you'll have to redo. Work on your washing and drying technique.

It probably wouldn't hurt to go with the SMR or #7 and work up from there. Normally, once or twice a year, it's good to start at the beginning with a good claying.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Got it. Thanks ZaneO

Mike