Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

water spots on my nbm

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water spots on my nbm

i tried claying them off, i tried waxing them off, and i tried polishing them off. they absolutely will not come off of my car. i don't know what to do. the only thing all the other things did was scratch my car a little! i'm royally pissed off and i have no idea how to solve the problem. help!
Old 08-10-2004, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am sure JRP has the answer.....
Old 08-10-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you tried Zanio Z5?
Old 08-10-2004, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

i haven't tried zaino, but the products i do have are much stronger (more abrasive) than zaino. if they cannot do the job, zaino definitely does not have a chance.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

try applying wax, and then clay bar through the wax. by the way what does nbm stand for?
Old 08-10-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Navy Blue Metallic
Old 08-10-2004, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

Tuffluck...you of all people asking a question???? I thought by now you were a guru, can't believe somethings got ya stumped. You have such a beautiful car...hopefully you can get those spots out. No one on autotopia has any answers for ya? Better car care? Are you using a porter cable or just by hand?

Justin
Old 08-11-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

unforgiven, thanks for the compliments. i think you'd be suprised how stumped i really am at these spots. i've tried claybarring twice, and waxed twice as well. these spots are, more than likely, permanent. autopia is not working for me. i don't have a porter cable, but i am now considering buying one and seeing if that will solve the problem. i really only have the spots on my hood, so i think if i bought a porter cable and used the DACP i have lying around, the results might impress me...or at least make me not so angry.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kinda wonder if it's not acid rain damage instead of just water spots?
Old 08-11-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try a little bit of WD-40... it gets glue off fairly easy.. Just see what it'll do to the water spots... Let me know.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i tried claying them off, i tried waxing them off, and i tried polishing them off. they absolutely will not come off of my car. i don't know what to do. the only thing all the other things did was scratch my car a little! i'm royally pissed off and i have no idea how to solve the problem. help!
Have you tried detailing spray? ex..Z-6?
Old 08-11-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

My trick: distilled water and white wine vinegar. Mix equal parts thoroughly in a spray bottle, then wipe off with a clean towel. I do the spots/spotty areas, not the whole car. I usually follow up with a spritz of clean water and a chamois.

-Mike
Old 08-12-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black02TA
Try a little bit of WD-40... it gets glue off fairly easy.. Just see what it'll do to the water spots... Let me know.
ya, i'll be sure and try that right after the blow torch.

the white vinegar/water did not work. i'm stumped. acid rain sounds more like the key. it's not something on my paint, it's something that has stained it or tarnished it. if it were a substance, believe me, it would have been lifted by this point.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Sorry bud,
I've got a '98 with hood water spots also. Tried everything you have and the rest of the car looks brand new except the hood. I'm repainting her once we return from Italy in a couple years, then she'll stay in a garage for the most part. Something has to be up with the paint on the hoods, they're terrible. I look at all these European cars over here and the hoods are fine, but the American car hoods become jacked up over time.

Claybar, Venigar, Mr. Clean thing, washing at night, using a leaf blower, distilled water, it all did nothing to those water spots on the hood. Everywhere else on the car was good to go except for small scratches, etc.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

This could help but it also could cause you paint damage if you don't know what your doing.

1. Get one of these http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...3aa+1092442819

2. Then this http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/shopp...sh+chip+repair

3. Water spray bottle.

Fill the spray bottle with distilled water and a few drops of car soap, using the the fingertip sanding spool with a 1500 grit disk lightly sand while spraying water over the area were the damage is. The more you sand the more clear you take off, if you go too far you'll get what is known as a split coat and you don't want that. Try a couple of strokes and then polish with the Poter Cable polisher and the 3M Finesse-it Finishing Material.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

worse comes to worse, maybe u can lightly wetsand it and then buff it out.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

A few things:

Z5 contains no cleaning agents. It's not going to magically lift off water spots.

If cleaning wax and clay bars aren't pulling off the water spots, neither is a quick detailer.

WD-40 may work, at least give it a shot

White vinegar and distilled water, as suggested, would be another option, but since that didn't work, I think it would be worth the investment in the Porter Cable 7424. Contrary to the above, it is not likely to damage your paint since it is a "dual action" random orbital as opposed to a circular buffer. I just used mine for the first time last week and was impressed with the results.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

the wd40 idea scares me just a little, heh. the hood is the only thing with the water spots on it.

the only i can think of is that the sprinklers in the apt complex sprayed on the hood, and then the next day the sun baked the water onto the hood. i'm sure some chemicals were used to purify the sprinkler water, and that's probably what stained the paint. it's only noticeable if the sun if reflecting off of it very brightly, which is good. it still pisses me the hell off.

i'll probably try the wd40, and see what that does. i'm guessing it won't do anything.

if i must resort to wetsanding (porter cable option will be first), i'll just buy another hood. that's way more trouble than it's worth.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright, tried the wd40, it didn't do a damn thing. now that i think about it, i really doubt the PC will do anything because i think the clear is actually stained. to get the stains out, i believe wetsanding would be necessary, at which point i still couldn't say how deep the stains are. i dunno
Old 08-13-2004, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
My trick: distilled water and white wine vinegar. Mix equal parts thoroughly in a spray bottle, then wipe off with a clean towel. I do the spots/spotty areas, not the whole car. I usually follow up with a spritz of clean water and a chamois.

-Mike
THIS WORKS! People quit wasting time reading this thread until you try this. The white vinegar will take off wax so make sure to wax the car afterwards. Wash the car in sections and make sure to not let dry with vinegar on paint. Wash vinegar off of car as soon as possible.

Quick Reply: water spots on my nbm