Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Wrecked 2002 Z06, help please?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Help me find a z06***

Im looking to buy this car, but I cant seem to find any good dealers of oem c5 body parts. Does anyone have any idea the ball park it would be to repair this beauty back to 100%? The asking price for the car is $16,700 its a 6speed 2002 with under 12k miles.

Ok so obviously it needs a rear passengerside quarter panel, passenger side headlight assembly, front and rear fascias, a hood, one or two tail lights, a little work on the hatch closure assembly, and a lot or praying that the frame is straight. Now if I could have my best guess i would say that just by looking, the frame should be ok. In the front it looks like the vette ran under a truck or higher vehicle, impailing the upper portion of the front, so im guessing the frame is ok there, but the rear end is a different story, i would have to inspect it closely before buying of course! Any input is greatly appreciated!

edit: I dont know if it runs or not, but the engine looks pretty much intact. Im hoping this works out, it would be too cool for my dad and I to both have C5's, but he might get jealous if Im the one with the Z06

Last edited by YoshisakaN; 08-22-2004 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I may be wrong on this, so anyone feel free to correct me. My gut instinct is that that beast is going to cost some major dough to get looking new again. Even with smoothing and massaging what I see wrong with the main body the paint shop bill is going to be tremendous. Like I said, feel free to jump in and correct me. Good luck if you decide to spring for it, though.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:14 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Well if you can get the car fixed for less than what you bought it for you'll be okay money wise.

Don't buy this looking to get a screamin' deal though. In the end, the repairs and hassles will make it not worth the trouble.

Plus, you can finance a nice Z06, how are you going to pay a $10,000+ repair bill?

(unless money is not an issue, in which case ignore that part)

Wait wait wait: you don't know if it runs?!? You need to check on this a lot more before throwing $$$ away.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Find out if it runs, a new paint job usually isnt too bad, unless you are going with an extreme design or something, flames, graphics, etc, that will cost a couple of thousand, other wise you can get it repainted yellow from macco, they usually have deals like around 500 or so, as for replacing all the body parts, that could be difficult, unless you can find a good salvage yard maybe. Otherwise you would have to go through a body shop just to get the parts unless you can find a way to cut out the middle man, otherwise try EBAY...
Old 08-21-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

If you take that car to Maaco you will recieve a severe *** beating! J/K

Anyway, you can try gmpartsdirect.com for oem parts. You will need the part number though as it is a pain in the *** to find anything on that site. A good tip that I learned to see if the frame is straight is to drive the car across a dirt field and see if you only see two tire paths, if there is more than two, something is wrong.

If the car runs FLAWLESSLY (i.e. trans shifts perfectly, engine is strong) then the drive train alone would be worth 8000-10000. Personally, I would rather restore a '69 Camaro to mint condition than that car.

Good luck with everything and let us know what you decide. Oh, and please don't take the car to Maaco after you spend all that money on fiberglass panels. A factory looking paint job with the GM Millenium Yellow paint will also cost a pretty penny. You're better off buying a good condition used one.

EDIT: One more thing, my brother has a 2002 Z06, and the one you have pictured sits abnormally high. You might also be looking at a lot of suspension work.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry man, but every time I look at the picture I see something else it needs. It looks like you're gonna a new passenger front fender (or a good amount of body work) and also some work to the driver side quarter panel (it looks out of shape in picture two). I also don't see any exhaust tips, so it will likely need some exhaust work. If the rear bumper was pushed in that far and there are not tips, it makes me worried that the the whole exhaust was also pushed forward which could cause damage at the heads or force some of the exhaust plumbing up into the floor pans (which I believe are fiberglass also).
Old 08-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Restricted User

More than likely it's a total, hence that is why this person or "yard" has it. A total on that car was probably $15,000 - $20,000 in repair. Just estimating...but if you had a competant shop to repair it correctly and at a decent price, it could be a decent car.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:03 AM
Launching!

be prepared for around $10 grand plus the cost of the car. thats also if you do the work yourself. my TOTALED SS was about $2000 and the work was done myself with about half the damage... also add the fact it is a Corvette Z06. if you do all GM replacment parts it will be more expencive, but the parts Might fit a little better.

my frame was bent also...
Old 08-22-2004, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dude, lie evey part of the body is broken
Old 08-22-2004, 03:44 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys, well I should have told you more about my situation. Basically I have a 1991 300ZX Twin Turbo right now, i completely rebuilt it, and its now for sale ($13,000) Im not really into muscle cars, so the 69 camaro is out I just respect the ls1, hell my dad has one. About financing one, that might be possible if i wasnt 17, ill be 18 in october but still. Im just looking for some kind of ls1 project here, and this one poped out, but i guess ill hide it away if its that bad..
Old 08-22-2004, 04:02 AM
Teching In

Ok well ill have to get some more input on the price of fabricated parts for this one. The same company with this car has a 2003 z06, same color 6speed etc. It was in a freshwater flood, car looks great but they havent listed wheter or not it runs, nor the price but i believe it will be a very comparable price. Whats the worst case scenario of having a flood car? Sorry for all these questions guys, im just putting things together....

Last edited by YoshisakaN; 08-22-2004 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:03 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've always been told to stay away from flood cars. They are nightmares waiting to happen. I'd feel better having a car with body damage than water damage.

See if you can buy both and part them together.... but for that amount, you can buy a 'newer' 01-03 vette.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Restricted User

Flood cars can be just as bad...or worse. Depending how much water got into the car, gear cases, engine, electrical...it can turn into a nightmare. Ask if they have documentation on where the car was and how badly it contained the water.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.. The airbags didn't deploy in that first car!! ?
Old 08-22-2004, 11:27 AM
Launching!

yep, electrical can suck even more, it may not cost as much now but sure as hell can later on.

by the way, Z06 vettes have LS6's instead of LS1's
Old 08-22-2004, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by L-SS-1
yep, electrical can suck even more, it may not cost as much now but sure as hell can later on.

by the way, Z06 vettes have LS6's instead of LS1's

yea i know but im not limited to either, id rather have an ls6 though, that prevents me from buying heads. We shouild change the title of this thread to help me find a z06 lol! I just found another one, this one is mint, was stolen and recovered. Engine is blown. What blows in an ls1? valvetrain? Think she threw a rod or something? I would love to spend a few thousand making a killer ls6 lol.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Restricted User

Is there a specific site you're finding all these Z06's on? I'd like to find one with a blown motor and put in a nicely built, all forged 400+c.i. motor with my big T-72 turbo.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by YoshisakaN
Thanks guys, well I should have told you more about my situation. Basically I have a 1991 300ZX Twin Turbo right now, i completely rebuilt it, and its now for sale ($13,000) Im not really into muscle cars, so the 69 camaro is out I just respect the ls1, hell my dad has one. About financing one, that might be possible if i wasnt 17, ill be 18 in october but still. Im just looking for some kind of ls1 project here, and this one poped out, but i guess ill hide it away if its that bad..

Thats alot of car for a 17 yr old.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Flawless
Thats alot of car for a 17 yr old.

thanks
Old 08-23-2004, 05:13 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

I'd go with the blown engine one myself.

You can buy a forged shortblock in the 3k range, and a set of heads (used LS6 heads if you just need the car running), a cam, and you'd be all set.

Then throw a shot of nitrous on it along with some DR's on it, and shoot for 10's.

If I had money + opportunity, that's what I'd do.

Hell, you could even buy a used LS1 engine cheap and put the LS6 heads/valvetrain on it.

Blown engine one is where my money would go.

The other 2 aren't worth the risk AT ALL.

Blown engine one sounds like a sure thing, and it sure gets the gears turning in my head...

Quick Reply: Wrecked 2002 Z06, help please?