Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Nxt Vs. Mothers Premium

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nxt Vs. Mothers Premium

alright guys, i read how everyone is raveing about meguires new NXT wax so i decided to pick it up and give it a shot. i have been using MOTHERS reflections premium for a while now, and in my opinion i think mothers has an edge over the NXT. the mothers seems to go on easier and wipe of easier; the shines for both products are outstanding though. is there something about the nxt that i dont know? what are your opinions?
Old 09-18-2004, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

I love the NXT. I just waxed my TA this evening and it looks sharp. Thats all i use on my Integra as well when i take it to car shows.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

What color is your car? Actually, Im a HUGE NXT fan...actually quite the fan of almost all Meguires products. However, I did pick up two mothers products recently. First I picked up their claybar system. Worked well to clean up the contaminants on my car, and the quick detailer that it comes with is pretty good stuff for quick on the spot wipes.

I also picked up Mothers California Gold 100% Pure Carnuba Wax, in liquid form. Now heres how I draw the comparison between the Mothers and the NXT:

1. NXT really seems to bring out the color of the car. It has a very deep "wet" look to it.
2. While mothers doesnt seem to be all that striking as far as bringing out the color of the car, it does seem to shine a bit better. The only way to describe it is...if NXT looks wet, the Mothers looks like glass. It just "seems" as if there is a protective coating over my car.

Now my normal all out routine when I detail my car (once a month) is:

1. Wash the car in NXT car soap (this stuff works WELL on getting old wax off)
2. Clay bar (if needed)
3. Scratch X on most swirled areas
4. ColorX (man I love how this stuff works. The color this brings out of my car is unreal)
5. NXT Tech wax (seals the ColorX work, and adds that "wetness" to my finish).

Ive read on autopia-carcare.com that it maybe a good idea to add a carnuba layer on top of a synthetic (NXT). Im so impressed with the results from the Mother's that I will probably add a 6th step to my routine, and put on a coat of carnuba on top of the NXT.

Now, I know I went off track on this...my bad...

Back to the topic...I know NXT works best on dark colored cars. As far as ease of use, I still find the NXT Wax the easiest car care product to use...period...washes, claybars, polishes, quick detailers, spray waxes, paste waxes and liquid waxes...its the easiest product to use as far as Im concerned. I was surprised you found it not as easy.

Now, I will say that the NXT Tech Booster Wax (the spray stuff) is kind of a pain in the ***. Id much rather wax my car with the regular wax every week than use the spray, but I do use the spray none the less
Old 09-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

There stuff is awesome. Who was u asking wat color was there car?? Mines Black. Ya there spray wax sucks. And have u noticed that on the black trim it leaves white spots from the overspray on the wax? I hated that and gave up
Old 09-18-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

The NXT spray wax is not my favotire product. It left too many splotches.

For a quick fix, I like the NXT wax, but when I have the time (and put the time into it), I prefer doing a good glaze, Blackfire sealant, then cover that with carnuba wax. It really adds depth to the shine.

-Mike
Old 09-18-2004, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1FastTA
There stuff is awesome. Who was u asking wat color was there car?? Mines Black. Ya there spray wax sucks. And have u noticed that on the black trim it leaves white spots from the overspray on the wax? I hated that and gave up
I was askin the first guy, because Ive noticed that synthentics tend to work better on dark colours and NXT is pretty much all synthetic. So maybe his other wax worked better for him because of the color of his car.

I dont have black trim on my Z28, but the spray is a pain in the ***. You cant spray the stuff directly onto the car because it will either spray too much at once and NEVER dry...or, if it does dry, its a pain to take off. I found it works alot better when you just spray it on an applicator pad, spread even and thin, wait a few mins, then wipe. Still, the normal nxt wax is easier to use.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

well, about the carnuba wax, i have never used it, but carnuba is a natural wax as opposed to mothers synthetic wax which is in their premium polish. from what it sounds like to me, no body is really familiar with the mothers premium wax. its awsome. im going to try to insert a picture of it, i would recommend you try picking it up and giving it a shot, to me it seems very similar to the nxt.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

yeah, my car is a 99 ws6 black.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Cool. I'm always up for trying new shine products. I might give it a try next time I detail.

-Mike
Old 09-18-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

If i come across it, I will definitely give it a shot...im already impressed by 3 Mothers products
Old 09-18-2004, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

yeah, deffinetly keep me updated when you give it a shot. good luck and enjoy!
Old 09-18-2004, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

you can find it in pep boys, and possibly autobarn and autozone.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one thing I do have to point out is that NXT is a CLEANER wax... as in it takes off coats of whatever else is on the car. So you can do the colorX, but the NXT doesn't "seal" like you mentioned, it removes it.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Did dawn, clay bar, Menzerna final polish, 1x coat of NXT, 2x Coats of Wolfgang (all over a two week period so to give enough time to set) on a Flame red paint and it turned out great.

NXT gave it alot of reflective shine but no real depth. Adding the wolfgang makes it look wet all the time (also gave it depth).
Old 09-20-2004, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Can someone explain what exactly a clay bar is? All I ever do is wash once a week, then throw on a single coat of wax about once a month. I've been using Zaino for about a year and just bought some NXT which I'll probably use next weekend. I really want my car to have that deep, wet look. What do I have to do get that on almost 5 year old paint?
Old 09-20-2004, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Clay bar.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...duct_Code=Z-18
Old 09-20-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by meissenation
one thing I do have to point out is that NXT is a CLEANER wax... as in it takes off coats of whatever else is on the car. So you can do the colorX, but the NXT doesn't "seal" like you mentioned, it removes it.
I have not had that issue come up. The color and depth that the ColorX brings out seems to stay on when the nxt goes on, NXT just adds that "wet" look to it.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmeoff
I have not had that issue come up. The color and depth that the ColorX brings out seems to stay on when the nxt goes on, NXT just adds that "wet" look to it.
well, if you accidently run the applicator pad over the black trim or what not, you'll get black all over the pad -- that's cause it's a cleaner wax. I'm sure the colorX does help bring the color out with the nxt over it, but the colorx necessarilly isn't still on the car if that makes any sense.

Quick Reply: Nxt Vs. Mothers Premium