Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Inspection in 7 days: What's the best way to stick a front plate without drilling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Inspection in 7 days: What's the best way to stick a front plate without drilling?

I just switched over to Geico, because I'm spending around $800 less for the same exact car insurance coverage that I had with the crooks at State Farm. Since the car is financed and I live in New Jersey, I have to get the car photographed by a Geico-affiliated inspection station in 7 days. This means that I have to put a front license plate over my SLP bowtie grill. What's the best way to attach a plate without drilling holes? I don't want to switch back to the stock grill either. Do you think I can get away with just using a double-sided tape to attach the plate to the grill? or do you have any better ideas? Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by damon_Z
I just switched over to Geico, because I'm spending around $800 less for the same exact car insurance coverage that I had with the crooks at State Farm. Since the car is financed and I live in New Jersey, I have to get the car photographed by a Geico-affiliated inspection station in 7 days. This means that I have to put a front license plate over my SLP bowtie grill. What's the best way to attach a plate without drilling holes? I don't want to switch back to the stock grill either. Do you think I can get away with just using a double-sided tape to attach the plate to the grill? or do you have any better ideas? Thanks in advance for the info.
you could take 2 eye bolts and 2 nuts and put eye bolts through the back of the plates and fasten them on with the nuts. take some of the foam weatherstripping for home's that have one side that has the glue stick it on back of the plate so you dont scratch up you grill. now the last part, take some tie wire (try to find the covered wire) and attach to one of the eye bolts. run the wire through the grill and to the other eye bolt tighten and it will be stable enough for you to drive to the inspection. this worked for me with my 85 and 95 z28's. leaves no marks if you take your time putting it on the car. it only takes about 10 min.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just drive up there, stick the plate on there with some double sided tape. Let em take the picture, after the picture take the **** off and wave as your leaving
Old 12-07-2004, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you not have your old grill, you could drill through that
Old 12-07-2004, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sux..id just...tape it on..they won't notice if ther jsut taken pictures.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Launching!

zip ties... my brother uses them for his number plate on his quad. just zip tie it down when u get there and cut it off when u leave so u dont scratch up your grille.

Last edited by scifone; 12-08-2004 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had to have mine inspected after I repaired my salvaged camaro. I went with the SLP bracket. I did have to put two holes underneath the front end. Got me by, looked like *** , but it served it's purpose. I took the S.O.B. off after inspection. I keep it in the back with the hardware in case Johnny gets me.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:50 PM

double sided tape, itll never fail!! although I live in FL and they dont do it here, but if they did thats what I would use
Old 12-07-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Why not get the SLP bracket that bolts under the bumper?
Old 12-08-2004, 02:18 AM
TECH Veteran

He probably doesn't want to drill holes anywhere.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:18 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

double-sided tape would be what I'd recommend. You could also go to the trouble of attaching short bolts to the top holes of the plate so it appears as if it is bolted on.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Another vote here for double sided tape. Get the 3M kind.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

glad we don't have that problem here.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
double-sided tape would be what I'd recommend. You could also go to the trouble of attaching short bolts to the top holes of the plate so it appears as if it is bolted on.
haha

Good idea there. I might attach those short bolts.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:54 PM
9 Second Club

that's odd...............i saved $178.00 every 6 months going from Geeko to State Farm! strange how ins. varries so much from one person to another, and one area to another.

and what the hell do you need a front plate for?!?!?!?! the plates aren't insured! it may be a state law, as it is here in Ill., which i've never been bugged about by passing cops, but the ins. co. really should not give a damn. call them and check just to make sure, but that may end up being the solving of your problem.

later,
Dave
Old 12-09-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
that's odd...............i saved $178.00 every 6 months going from Geeko to State Farm! strange how ins. varries so much from one person to another, and one area to another.

and what the hell do you need a front plate for?!?!?!?! the plates aren't insured! it may be a state law, as it is here in Ill., which i've never been bugged about by passing cops, but the ins. co. really should not give a damn. call them and check just to make sure, but that may end up being the solving of your problem.

later,
Dave
You're right. I was thinking that it was going to be something like a state-type inspection, but now you've got me thinking that they just want to inspect what they're insuring.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:26 AM
Launching!

i used magnets on the back of the bumper on my old mustang. they were strong enough to hold the plate on from the other side
Old 12-10-2004, 04:41 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

I would think the insurance company could care less if your front plate is on or not. Set it on the dash if you're worried.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have mine permanantly installed on my air dam (I call it my air dam protector )

it meets all laws, it is visible in front, ... there is no law that states specifically where to place the front licence plate on the front (at least in RI)
Just to be safe, I re-install it for inspections (just in case the shop is scared to pass) in the regular spot, then put it back on the air dam after the inspection

so far this works for me and it passed the ultimate test during my towns annual national police parade... had it parked easily visilbe in front of ~1000 + police officers, and none of them ever said anything about it
Old 12-10-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you think I can get away with just using a double-sided tape to attach the plate to the grill?
yes. i had to do that after getting a no front plate ticket right after i bought my car. had to show em at court that i fixed it so i would only have to pay court costs. worked like a charm!

Quick Reply: Inspection in 7 days: What's the best way to stick a front plate without drilling?