Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

berger panel -question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default berger panel -question

Is there any special way i should take care of this thing? Other than being extremely careful of course. I got my tail panel painted flat black.... The paint is very sensitive. If u put a fingernail to it -it seems like it scratches. How do i take care of this thing? Any special rules or washing techniques? I'm paranoid about putting some certain car wash/product on and ruining it... No waxing i am assuming... Any suggestions?

thanks guys
Old 12-12-2004, 10:44 PM
Restricted User

Sounds like there's somethign wrong with how it got painted - mine is almost like there's no paint on there. it doesnt show anythign at all.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

nah. We did it right. I am just making sure of how i should wash it and if there is anything i should stay clear of.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Something isn't right. What kind of paint did you use?
Old 12-12-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't do anything special to mine. Wash it and wax it the same as I do the rest of the car. Had it for more than a year doing it this way.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine is a stock black piece off of a camaro....so its stock paint....but sounds like u didnt do somethign right
Old 12-13-2004, 12:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should not be that soft.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

I used a semigloss clear over flat black, no scratches.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like a thread about the care of this panel after being painted. Not whether it was done right or not.. just take care of it, I wouldn't use a brush on it, just to prevent scratches. Post some pics, I like to see how it looks.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:01 AM
Launching!

Ok should be getting my new/used panel pretty soon. I'm going to be painting it Satin Black, does anyone have any suggestions for paint? I'll be spray can spraying it.

Also I've never done any painting like this.. so what is involved with wet sanding? I'll need to wet sand the primer I would guess, and my thought is that I'll just have to spray water on it as I'm sanding. What grit sand paper do you suggest?

Any suggestions and tips would be appreciated!

-Jason
Old 12-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pailheadz28
Ok should be getting my new/used panel pretty soon. I'm going to be painting it Satin Black, does anyone have any suggestions for paint? I'll be spray can spraying it.

Also I've never done any painting like this.. so what is involved with wet sanding? I'll need to wet sand the primer I would guess, and my thought is that I'll just have to spray water on it as I'm sanding. What grit sand paper do you suggest?

Any suggestions and tips would be appreciated!

-Jason
Well all soft materials sand the same but don't use a rough grit or the sand scratches will show. Just mix up some mild soap and water in a plastic bottle and I would start with 800 or 1000 grit and sand it smooth. The smoother the finish the better it will look in the end if you spray it good. But don't spray one thick coat try about 3 even coats.
Just my experience with painting but everyone does it their own way.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MyersRacing
Well all soft materials sand the same but don't use a rough grit or the sand scratches will show. Just mix up some mild soap and water in a plastic bottle and I would start with 800 or 1000 grit and sand it smooth. The smoother the finish the better it will look in the end if you spray it good. But don't spray one thick coat try about 3 even coats.
Just my experience with painting but everyone does it their own way.
Mild soap as in like AJAX or a dish soap? Any suggestions as far as paint? Any manufacturer I should stay away from?

Thanks for the tips

-Jason
Old 12-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Mild soap as in like AJAX or a dish soap? Any suggestions as far as paint? Any manufacturer I should stay away from?

Thanks for the tips

-Jason
Just dishwashing soap for wet sanding thats all I ever use for sanding plastic,metal, and aluminum. Paints all vary I like Omni its made by PPG in which I love to spray but is a little high, and alot of the show car sprayers around here use it.
Just my opinion. Good Luck
Old 12-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Question

Ok and to continue this one.... got my panel but the panel has old vinyl inlays in the lettering, does anyone know of a good way to remove the vinyl? Is there any disolvent I can use or will I have to sand it till it's gone?

If ya need pics to see the vinyl I can post some...

Update: Upon further inspection it looks like it's tape, like black electrical tape that he has in the letters. It's stuck pretty good and when I try to peel it, it's sort of just crumbles apart. I can tell because I see seams where he's taken peices and cut them to fit. What the heck would be good to loosen and get this stuff out of there, I can't paint it with them in there..

Thanks...

Last edited by pailheadz28; 12-19-2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Launching!

Don't use rattle can paint on it. It wouldn't bond to the primer very well.....over time, it'll flake off. Use any good quality base/clear system and squirt it from a air gun. I like Dupont.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NC Guy
Don't use rattle can paint on it. It wouldn't bond to the primer very well.....over time, it'll flake off. Use any good quality base/clear system and squirt it from a air gun. I like Dupont.
I'd love to do it from an airgun.. unfortunately I don't have one and don't have the money to purchase one. So a rattle can will suffice..
Old 12-19-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

i think a sticky should be made on how to do this properly along with the CETA for the T/A. I dunno anything about painting, but someone out there should.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
i think a sticky should be made on how to do this properly along with the CETA for the T/A. I dunno anything about painting, but someone out there should.
Yeah I know zilch about painting a car.. that's why I bought another panel to work on. But yeah you're right I think there should be a sticky as well on painting.. it would help alot.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Yeah I know zilch about painting a car.. that's why I bought another panel to work on. But yeah you're right I think there should be a sticky as well on painting.. it would help alot.
OK........I'll start the first sticky on painting body panels.

1. Don't use rattle can paint for a lasting finish!
Old 12-20-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

finshed product. We taped in the letters.. I refused to buy silver letters lol