Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help....Leaky Tail Light (Pontiac)....

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Help....Leaky Tail Light (Pontiac)....

Hey all,
My passenger side tail light leaks and now the brake light is 1/4 full of water . I am thinking that it is the seal that goes around the reverse light section of the light cluster.

Has anyone had one of these clusters apart? Worth trying or should I buy a new cluster?

TIA,
-Nick
Old 12-18-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. Now one taillight looks dimmer than the other. Could be the reverse light. I know the water seems to accumulate there first.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Uno99
I have the same problem. Now one taillight looks dimmer than the other. Could be the reverse light. I know the water seems to accumulate there first.
Same here!
Old 12-19-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what I have read guys the tailight clusters (Pontiac atleast) are one piece sealed .

I did manage to find a replacement here though:
http://www.classicindustries.com/ ($180 bucks each )

TTT- Has anyone had these apart?
Old 12-19-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

TTT... same problem here
Old 12-19-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad I'm not the only one (driver's side). I even took mine out and dried the whole thing out, within a couple days there was moisture back inside and my car stays in the garage.

When I took the taillight out there were no glaringly obvious leak areas but when I went to a local dyno day the car was outside while I was waiting to go and it started pouring. By the time I brought my car inside to get dynoed the taillight was 1/3 full of water.

Please post any solutions because I think paying $180 (ebay or aftermarket) for 1 light is ridiculous.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT-

Getting ready to dump $180 into this as a xmas present for my dad....Anyone have any input?
Old 12-21-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

one last TTT
Old 12-22-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

on my old 96 ta, the taillight would always be filled with water. i later got a new one cause i had no idea what was wrong. i eventually found that clear part of the taillight was glued on or something, and over time i guess the adhesive wore away and moisture got in. i guess you could take it all apart and seal it all back together, but it wasnt worth the effort to me
Old 12-23-2004, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
on my old 96 ta, the taillight would always be filled with water. i later got a new one cause i had no idea what was wrong. i eventually found that clear part of the taillight was glued on or something, and over time i guess the adhesive wore away and moisture got in. i guess you could take it all apart and seal it all back together, but it wasnt worth the effort to me

IS there any easy way to take out the clear reverse light and replace it with a new seal?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by niphilli
IS there any easy way to take out the clear reverse light and replace it with a new seal?
i dont think its separated into sections like that. just pop the light off the back of the car. and then examine it to see what you can do to seal it. i know on my 96 the clear part was just coming unglued and was leting moisture in. if thats the case, and its not too bad, you could just buy some epoxy and try that by just putting a thin bead over the portion where the two parts of the light meet. ill go take a look at my lights and repost what i think.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

Its kinda a pain and I'm not sure what everyone is asking...but you can take the taillights out and examin everthing from the back if you remove the carpet in the cargo bay and undo the screws to the tail lights...
Old 12-23-2004, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

yea, you can do that. there could always be a crack in the actual housing of the light. but like i said before, mine was just the clear part was coming unglued and letting moisture in. either way, just pop the light off and check it out
Old 12-23-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
yea, you can do that. there could always be a crack in the actual housing of the light. but like i said before, mine was just the clear part was coming unglued and letting moisture in. either way, just pop the light off and check it out
Thanks guys...Mine is definately the clear reverse light section of the light. There must be a seal around it or something. I will take it apart and examine.

The car is under warrenty and they denied it because they said it was caused by pressure washers....Extended warrenties are worthless unless you have a decent dealership
Old 12-23-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

thats horseshit, goto a diff dealer. how do they know it was caused by pressure washers? you bought the extended warranty for a reason...you should go back, and when each person tells you no, go higher and higher over them and itll get taken care of. new taillights get expensive and if you cant fix it thats what youll need. but dont try and fix it and then try to goto the dealer again...
Old 12-29-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

i dont know what ever happened with the dealer situation..but i found this, copy the number, or print it out and take it to them.

Exterior Lamp Condensation and Replacement Guidelines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Info - Exterior Lamp Condensation and Replacement Guidelines #01-08-42-001
Exterior Lamp Condensation and Replacement Guidelines
1993-2001 Passenger Cars

1993-2002 Light and Medium Duty Trucks

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2000-2002 model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 63-82-06A (Section 8 -- Chassis/Body Electrical).

The following information is being provided to better define the causes of condensation in exterior lamps and includes guidelines for determining the difference between a lamp with a normal atmospheric condition (condensation) and a lamp with a water leak.

Some exterior lamps, such as cornering, turn signal, backup, headlamps or tail lamps may exhibit very small droplets of water, a fine mist or white fog (condensation) on the inside of the lamp lens. This may be more noticeable on lamps with "multi-lens" designs and may be normal during certain weather conditions.

Condensation occurs when the air inside the lamp assembly, through atmospheric changes, reaches the "dew point". When this takes place, the moisture in the air within the lamp assembly condenses, creating a fine mist or white fog on the inside surface of the lamp lens.

Most exterior lamps on General Motors vehicles use a vented design and feature a replaceable bulb assembly. They are designed to remove any accumulated moisture vapor by expelling it through a vent system. The vent system operates at all times, however, it is most effective when the lamps are ON or when the vehicle is in motion. Depending on the size, shape and location of the lamp on the vehicle, and the atmospheric conditions occurring, the amount of time required to clear the lamp may vary from 2 to 6 hours.

Completely sealed headlamp assemblies (sealed beams) are still used on a limited number of models being manufactured today. These lamps require the replacement of the complete lamp assembly if a bulb filament burns out.

Condensation
"A fine mist or white fog on the inside surface of the lamp lens occurring after a period of high humidity".
May be located primarily in the lens corners (near the vents) and SHOULD NOT cover more than half the lens surface.
The condition should clear of moisture when the vehicle is parked in a dry environment, or when the vehicle is driven with the lights ON.
A comparison of the equivalent lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle indicates a SIMILAR performance.
If the above conditions are noted, the customer should be advised that replacement of a lamp assembly may not correct this condition.

Water Leak
"Numerous & various size drops of water collecting on the inside surface of the lamp lens after the vehicle has been exposed to rain or a car washing environment".
A condition that covers more than half the surface of the lamp lens.
An accumulation of water in the bottom of the lamp assembly.
A condition that WON'T clear when the vehicle is parked in a dry environment, or when the vehicle is driven with the lights ON.
A comparison of the equivalent lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle indicates a different performance.
Any of the above conditions would indicate the need to service the lens or lamp assembly.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great folkes on this site...

Thanks a bunch for the info
Old 01-03-2005, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

i have the same problem .. i re-sealed it but yet some moisture still gets in i dont have the cash for a new tail light and i hate the way it just makes the light look all dull i wonder if theres n e thing i can do to fix it what do u guys think ?
Old 01-03-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

theres a description of 'condensation' according to gm and how its supposed to go away over a short period of time...did u read post #16?
Old 01-03-2005, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

yea but ijust was wondering cause all the reflecting silver thing inside the tail light in mine is like worn i was wondering if theres like some special paint or something that can fix that just curious

Quick Reply: Help....Leaky Tail Light (Pontiac)....