Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question!! - Regarding plastics

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question!! - Regarding plastics

Anyone know how to do DIY Clear plastic molding? I wanna see how feasible mocking up a set of non-popup headlights would be... I'm not wanting to spend $1k on ones that aren't that attractive and don't do what I want... (Thinking dual 90mm Hella projectors, HID Low's normal Highs) I think they'll fit still need to do some measuring.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone?
Old 12-27-2004, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

No one at all?
Old 12-28-2004, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you are exploring unknown territory . . . .
Old 12-28-2004, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

I think it's very do-able if you've worked with fiberglass. I myself tried to make some flush mounted headlights for my camaro, and initially I was going to have a clear lexan cover with the hella's. I would start by making a mold of the stock housings when the lights are down (not open). Then run to Home Depot (or whatever is in your area) and buy a piece of lexan (plexiglass). I paid about $3 for a piece that was roughly 1'x2' (i'm guessing). If you heat it with a heat gun, SLOWLY, it will become flexible enough to shape. I would gently heat the lexan and press it into the fiberglass mold you made. The mold needs to be as perfect as you can make it (again, assuming you've worked with fiberglass). This should do it as far as the covers go. The inside housing that holds the lights will need to be fabricated to whatever style you like. I'd suggest fiberglass for this also. I dont think what you're wanting to do is impossible, but it's going to take some trial and error and definitely time. Since starting my project, I've decided to make my housings but without the lexan cover. Hope this helps out a bit.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ritchie
I think it's very do-able if you've worked with fiberglass. I myself tried to make some flush mounted headlights for my camaro, and initially I was going to have a clear lexan cover with the hella's. I would start by making a mold of the stock housings when the lights are down (not open). Then run to Home Depot (or whatever is in your area) and buy a piece of lexan (plexiglass). I paid about $3 for a piece that was roughly 1'x2' (i'm guessing). If you heat it with a heat gun, SLOWLY, it will become flexible enough to shape. I would gently heat the lexan and press it into the fiberglass mold you made. The mold needs to be as perfect as you can make it (again, assuming you've worked with fiberglass). This should do it as far as the covers go. The inside housing that holds the lights will need to be fabricated to whatever style you like. I'd suggest fiberglass for this also. I dont think what you're wanting to do is impossible, but it's going to take some trial and error and definitely time. Since starting my project, I've decided to make my housings but without the lexan cover. Hope this helps out a bit.
sweet thanks when I get the money to do it I'll let everyone know how it goes... How much interest is there in a fixed dual 90mm setup for the 98-02 Birds?
Old 12-29-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

id buy it, but not for anything close to 1k...maybe 100. lol
Old 12-29-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You Got My Interest In It To...............
Old 12-29-2004, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd go for it depending on looks,quality,and price
Old 12-29-2004, 10:37 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am working on a custom set myself. Except, I am working with carbon fiber, not fiberglass

Quick Reply: Question!! - Regarding plastics