Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MEGUIARS Cleaner Wax

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MEGUIARS Cleaner Wax

stupid question - but I bought this stuff yesterday. I basically just wanna get rid of all old wax off my car and rewax it... Was this the right stuff to buy? are u supposed to rewax after this? Im hesitate to use Dawn on my car. Wat to do? Wat to do? Thanks guys.

Last edited by Summer; 12-30-2004 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

The best way to remove old wax is to use dawn, and then clay bar it. Don't use it every wash because it is very harsh on your wax. You can get the clay bar at autozone or orielly's. after you have the old wax off save yourself some time and get zaino Z1 Z2 and Z5. got to zainostore.com to get all the crap. It really is as good as they say it is.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

would a ghood wash with dawn alone get rid of the previous wax and such?...i want to avoid the clay bar as much as possible....

would it be best to dawn it or take it to a detailer shop for my next wash?
Old 12-30-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm not a big fan of using Dawn to wash cars. The alkalines in Dawn are pretty hard on paint and clearcoat. When I want to strip off all the wax on my car, I put a 50/50 mix of alcohol and water (distilled or filtered water, if possible) in a spray bottle, then mist and wipe a small section at a time. This will remove any wax buildup and prep the surface for clay, polish, or whatever you want to do next.

I'm curious, why do you want to avoid clay?

-Mike
Old 12-30-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think dawn can remove wax but i dont think it can remove sealants. When i had used some sealant on my car then tried to dawn it it still beaded and was slick to the touch after drying it off w/out spraying any qd onit. Your best bet would be to start w/ a good wash then clay then as the first step use a cleaner wax. Unless your going to be doing some swirl removal then id do that cleaner wax as the 2nd step.
Wash
clay
swirl removal (i.e light compound/fine polish)
cleaner wax
glaze(if necessary)
wax/seal
Old 12-30-2004, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

well ive been told claying and rubbing compounds....if not used correctly...or with a slight mistake can destroy a paint job
Old 12-30-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
well ive been told claying and rubbing compounds....if not used correctly...or with a slight mistake can destroy a paint job
No real danger with the claybar. Just make sure that you keep that area that you're working on wet. After using the claybar the first time, I could believe all the **** that was stuck in my clear coat. Especially the rear bumper.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

Thank guys for your opinions! I was reading the back it doesnt say anything about rewaxing afterward....? Im still confused. Unsure if I am supposed to or not.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

I would, but then I'm really picky about shine and protection. 6']['9 offered a good plan in waxing after the cleaner wax. Cleaner wax is more aobut removing old material than offering really good protection. Following with a good sealant (Blackfire, Zaino, etc) or wax (like Meguiars NXT, Meguiars Gold Class, or Meguiars #26 Hi-Tech Yellow wax) will ensure that your hard work will last. The waxes I mentioned are readily available at Autozone and the like, which is never a bad thing.

-Mike
Old 12-31-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Summer
Thank guys for your opinions! I was reading the back it doesnt say anything about rewaxing afterward....? Im still confused. Unsure if I am supposed to or not.
The cleaner/wax does just what it says, it cleans SOME of the impurities off of the paint and waxes at the same time.So to answer your question, no you do not need to wax after using a "cleaner wax".I have used that particular brand on at least one of my show cars and have had no prob's.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default dawn soap

Hey guys,
I just thought I would add my .02cents on this idea. I did use dawn soap on my old 93 formula and it WILL remove your clear coat. It might not if you get all the water out of every crack and crevice but inevitibly those taillights always save a little water for later. The water runs down and rests on the top of the rear bumber and that is where you will find the clear coat working up. It did it to my 93. If you think about what dawn is designed to do then logic would tell you not to use it. It is designed as a degreaser and to penetrate the surface of what your cleaning to remove the contaminates e.g. your clear coat. It has pores so it can "breathe" correct. The dawn soap will get in there! Use the cleaner wax or whatever products you prefer and clay bar the car for best results. Just my .02 though. Good luck. Chris
Old 12-31-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

well zaino reccomends the use of dawn before application. I think that they are pretty edjucated on the lines of what will make the car look the best.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:11 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Be sure to buy a soap that's made for cars so you can wash your car properly after you've stripped off the old wax and then re-waxed it. If you don't, then you'll just be stripping all your hard work back off the car. I'd hate for you to spend hours polishing and waxing only to use a harsh detergent to clean your car the next time it needs a wash.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jammon46
well zaino reccomends the use of dawn before application. I think that they are pretty edjucated on the lines of what will make the car look the best.
I know they are more educated about car shine than I am, but I still feel like there are better alternatives to Dawn.

-Mike

Quick Reply: MEGUIARS Cleaner Wax