Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to lower my car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to lower my car?

Hey everyone. I'm lowering my car this Spring, just because I don't like the stock ride height. However, there are two ways I can do this:

1.) I can get Eibach ProKit or Sportline springs and drop the whole car (ProKit - 1.5" drop front, 1.3" drop rear/Sportline - 1.7" drop front, 1.8" drop rear). This would make the car handle better and give it more of a sleek look.

2.)I can get the BMR 1" lowering springs and just drop the front of the car. This would probably be better for racing since I'd have the softer stock springs in the back for better weight transfer. I wouldn't expect much improvement for handling, but it might have the retro muscle car-type stance. But I'm also worried my car might look like kind of goofy like this.

Any opinions?
Old 01-02-2005, 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

It would probrably look best if you just to do all four springs. When it comes time to replace the shocks get coil overs for the front so you can tweek the stance alittle more if you want to go for the slammed front look. Their are plenty of quick cars that run lowering springs. I'm not sure if the Eibachs are a progressive rate spring but that's what I would look for if you want to try and get the best of both worlds.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
It would probrably look best if you just to do all four springs. When it comes time to replace the shocks get coil overs for the front so you can tweek the stance alittle more if you want. Their are plenty of quick cars that run lowering springs. I'm not sure if the Eibachs are a progressive rate spring but that's what I would look for if you want to try and get the best of both worlds.
Oh wow, didn't even think about the coilover possibility. Progressive rate? Not sure about that on the Eibachs either but I have to look into now. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:47 PM
10 Second Club

No problem. I know the Hotchkis springs are progressive and I've heard great things about them as far as looks and handling. I run Hypercoils but I don't think that they are available anymore. Get a set of drag shocks with them and you should get plenty of wieght transfer. With my rear shocks set at 3 and the fronts at 1, it feels like the car hits the bump stops on a hard launch.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
No problem. I know the Hotchkis springs are progressive and I've heard great things about them as far as looks and handling. I run Hypercoils but I don't think that they are available anymore. Get a set of drag shocks with them and you should get plenty of wieght transfer. With my rear shocks set at 3 and the fronts at 1, it feels like the car hits the bump stops on a hard launch.
I checked into the Eibachs and both the Sportline and ProKits are progressive. I've seen the Hotchkis installed before and really like them. What would you recommend for drag shocks. Thanks again.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

I run the QA1 "R" series fronts and regular QA1s in the rear. Both are 12 way adjustable but the "R" series only have an adjustable extension and the compresion is fixed. So I run mine at 1 on the street and they still feel nice and stiff yet when I launch the car it still pulls the nose good and I get plenty of transfer. The fronts are also adjustable coil overs that can be used with a stock style spring if you buy the BMR spring seats or modify the stock ones.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

I would go with the Eibach kit. I have them on my 92 and love them. The ride is still very good. Good luck!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do all 4 springs imo the back of the car is too high already and 2 diff rate springs can't be good for handling (may be dangrous even) whatever springs you go with thy to use all your susp. parts from the same co. they make everything to work 2gether i think;4 whatever it's worth
Old 01-02-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Front and rear springs already have different rates..

As for the raked look: I was thinking about doing this as well, but my friend pointed out to me that in order to look good raked, your wheels have to fill the well up. Think about it.. This made me decide to go with the Eibach Prokit, over the sportlines because IIRC the prokit is a linear rate.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Poik
Front and rear springs already have different rates..

As for the raked look: I was thinking about doing this as well, but my friend pointed out to me that in order to look good raked, your wheels have to fill the well up. Think about it.. This made me decide to go with the Eibach Prokit, over the sportlines because IIRC the prokit is a linear rate.
I'm definitely stepping up to 17's eventually, but I don't know if that would be enough to fill those wheel wells. What's IIRC?
Old 01-02-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

If I recall correctly.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the BMR springs and personally I like them, and if I lowered my car much more then my Torque arm would scrape even more.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slam that ho on all 4 corners!
Old 01-03-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Poik
If I recall correctly.
Gotcha...thanks. I feel a little humbled now. I like the look of Sportlines, but I don't know.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Banned

if you go with eibach have you thought about going with an LT1 set. the guys at gmmg said they sit alot better then ls1 springs. thats also what is ran on the stage III ZL1 cars and the stance on those things is sinister.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont think you would be happy with the sportlines. I just dont think they look good. I just picked some Hotchkis springs...cant wait to install em
Old 01-03-2005, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

if you want a REALLY slammed car and performance...look into DMS, G2, and possibly H&R is it? all are over 1.5" drop and all handle great much better then the Sportlines....sportlines are for appearance only. if you want handling but dont wanna go that far down and remain street friendly with ride comfort go with Hotchkis, Pro-Kit, Hypercoils, Ground Control and there are others whihc are all around 1.5" drop

BMR is a great all around spring...takes care of that 4x4 stance and provides handling with good spring rates

ill take up Xsta Z28's advice and say stay away from Eibach tho
Old 01-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sportlines look the best, and are not as bad as people say. For the street they handle good and they aren't that bad at the drag strip. G2 or DMS will raise the car a little bit more compared to the sportlines, but the car will handle much better at a track... and give you a little more clearance if you are worried about bottoming out. I will probably be switching to the G2 springs because they might finally be offered again (In the past they were impossible to get).

Quick Reply: How to lower my car?