Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What detailing products are you using.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What detailing products are you using.

I am just curious of what polishes/waxes everyone uses that does some high quality detailing.

Currently, I am using Mcquires Cleaner Wax, Mcquires Polish, Glaze and Carnuba.

I am a little unsatisfied with the polish, however, I believe I may not be using it correctly. I was using it with the PC White Pad, I may switch to the Orange pad. I have a hellova time getting rid of marring (swirl marks, spider webs). What is the ideas/practices of those who have considerable experience with this???

I know the polish has alot to do with the result, but does the application play a bigger role?

Let's hear the Ideas from the crowd.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02transhawk
I am just curious of what polishes/waxes everyone uses that does some high quality detailing.

Currently, I am using Mcquires Cleaner Wax, Mcquires Polish, Glaze and Carnuba.

I am a little unsatisfied with the polish, however, I believe I may not be using it correctly. I was using it with the PC White Pad, I may switch to the Orange pad. I have a hellova time getting rid of marring (swirl marks, spider webs). What is the ideas/practices of those who have considerable experience with this???

I know the polish has alot to do with the result, but does the application play a bigger role?

Let's hear the Ideas from the crowd.
its more a process as opposed to application, your gonna apply the product with the pc whether its an orange,black, blue, white pad whatever. IF your looking for something that removes swirls id go with something like Menzerna, Poorboys or Meguiars professional series. Start with the least abrasive product/pad combo and if that doesnt work step it up a notch pad wise.
Marring can be a pain to remove so take your time. The meguiars system you have isnt designed to remove spiderwebs. The No9 swirl mark remover has fillers in it so swirls may come back. thats why i recommend using something with out fillers as mentioned above. if you want my opinion even with out seeing the car id hint at going with Menzerna Intensive polish and a LC orange pad, Menzerna FInal Polish II with a LC white pad. All In One Cleaner Polish then seal with what ever you want whether it be Meguiars, Zaino, Poorboys, and so on.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have heard alot about the menzerna product line. I think I will try it. I use Mcguires Carnuba liquid wax...how do you think that is for the final wax???
Old 04-03-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

I use lots of different products.

My favorite polishes are Menzerna and Poorboy's.

My *typical* routine is Menzerna IP or Poorboy's SSR 2.5 with an orange pad on speed 5-6, followed by Menzerna FP with a white pad on speed 5. Now each car will be different, and it's important to use the least aggressive method possible to get the job done.

Take your time with it and make sure that you work the polish until it is almost dry, so that it fully breaks down.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will keep trying as time permits. If my car wasn't an 02 and the paint was in worse shape, I would probably compound it then later down the road just re-paint it...but for now I think I can use polish/wax for good upkeep.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Launching!

where are u guys buying your stuff at
Old 04-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Zaino www.zainostore.com
Old 04-03-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

I buy the majority of my stuff from www.pakshak.com and www.premiumautocare.com
Old 04-03-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am trying to shop around...I really wish there was a place that carried this stuff locally.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

My current routine:

Wash
Menzerna Intensive Polish with Orange Pad at 4 on the PC
Menzerna Final Polish II with White Pad at 3.5 on the PC
Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze with Black Pad at 3.5 on the PC
Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection applied by hand
Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray

After all that, when I'm just doing a routine wash, I'll wash then follow up with the Blackfire spray to remove water spots and keep the protection going.

If you're looking for products locally, most good paint shops will carry the 3M line of products. I haven't used them personally, but I have a buddy who swears by them and his cars look great!

-Mike
Old 04-03-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i wish i had pics....i did my car this weekend. I used Mequiars paint cleaner, then Nxt liquid polish, then 3M hand glaze, damn does my pewter paint look great. At angles it loos like water, like when you look into a lake. 5 hours of cleaning and polishing were definately worth it.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wallmart has nxt stuff for the cheapest if that is what you are looking for.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

The nxt won't get rid of swirl marks and it is not the best for black or red cars.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Launching!

I love Eagle One Wet for a polish/wax, especially on my black Grand National. I was using Wet until they stopped carrying it around here. Tried their Nanowax since it came with a rebate. Glad I got the rebate, because I think it is horrible. Found out that I could order Wet directly from Eagle One, so I bought a case. As for wash, I like the Eagle One wash. Anything else, such as chrome polish, tire dressing, etc., I don't have a favorite. Mostly though I use Eagle One products though.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Used to use Meguiar Professional products, but NOW.....nothing but Zaino.

Seems like most ppl choose either NXT, or Zaino (ZFX/Z2 combo), but no exact BEST IMO. Several good products on the market.