Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rock chip prevention

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rock chip prevention

Hey I just bought a 2000 SS with 17000 miles and it had no rock chips now it has like 4 in one month. other than wax any good ways to prevent that, that you guys know of???
Old 04-10-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

There is a clear plastic that you can apply to parts of the front end. I cant remember what its called. Its thin like tape and very durable. I dont personally use it and I dont have any personal experience with it.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:51 AM
TECH Resident

i feel ur pain when i got my SS it had only 1 in the hood scoop(not to big but as always to the owner it sticks out like a soar thumb)....and now i have alot of little ones ...cant notice at all from a distance and even up close but u stare at the hood long enough and it starts to jump out at u
Old 04-10-2005, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

I guess it comes with the territory of having a lowing riding car...
Old 04-10-2005, 02:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
I guess it comes with the territory of having a lowing riding car...
HA i wish im still on STOCK SUSPENSION!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 08:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chase_Z28
Hey I just bought a 2000 SS with 17000 miles and it had no rock chips now it has like 4 in one month. other than wax any good ways to prevent that, that you guys know of???
Yeah, don't drive it. It comes with the territory, however, MOST of mine buff out. I use like 3-4 coats of carnuba wax down there and that seems to help tremendously (sp?)!
Old 04-10-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm looking into getting a 3M clear bra for the underside of the nose of my car. From what I've read, you can wax right over that stuff and it stands up to a lot of abuse. Since it's more like Saran Wrap than a conventional bra, stuff doesn't get under it and scratch or yellow. My only fear is that a layer of plastic will take away some of the shine from the paint, which is why I'm only planning to do the "undernose", rather than the whole front end. Mine is lowered, so I scrape frequently because the Houston road crews keep adding layers of pavement to the streets, but all the driveways are still sloped for the original level of the street. Consequently, the angle is too steep and I've lost some paint.

**** happens. I bought my car to drive it, so I'm not all that upset about it.

-Mike
Old 04-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

I know exactly what you guys are saying. Mine is black and the whole front end looks like it has been sand blasted. Actually a better example is it looks like paint overspray. Ive tried all kinds of waxes/ polishes. Needs to be painted The worse thing about it is the panel between the T-tops and the back glass, the paint is bubbling on it and pops the clearcoat. The weird part is they are all in a straight line accross the top and sides?
Old 04-10-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Onez4u2bn
The worse thing about it is the panel between the T-tops and the back glass, the paint is bubbling on it and pops the clearcoat. The weird part is they are all in a straight line accross the top and sides?

There is a bulletin about this somewhere. Do a search on roof paint bubbling (or some variant of that). The problem is the glue they used releases some gas after the roof skin is attached. Since it has nowhere to go, it causes those bubbles.

-Mike
Old 04-10-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Onez4u2bn
The worse thing about it is the panel between the T-tops and the back glass, the paint is bubbling on it and pops the clearcoat. The weird part is they are all in a straight line accross the top and sides?
My guess is that it was repainted and then waxed before the paint had enough time to cure and all the solvents were released. A repaint is almost a must for this. I have seen this many times, when paintshops do not allow enough time for the car to bake or if you apply wax too early.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my front bumper looks like **** to..needs to be repainted..it looks worse if u have a black car..my front end..looks speckled..LOL...
Old 04-10-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

****, i got a crazy rock chip on my hood. about an inch long, and maybe 1/8 wide. took the paint right off. funny thing is i dont remember hitting anything...??
Old 04-10-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chase_Z28
Someone else mentioned it already and I'll second that option. If you're serious about wanting to keep rock chips and all other small stuff off like that I would suggest a clear bra. 3m makes an ok one but your best best in that dept. is from Llumar. the Llumar clear bra is actually more 'clear' than than the 3m. I was going to go that route a few months back but my car really isn't a daily driver so I figure I can spend the money elsewhere. You're best best will be to do some research and check out a few different local shops that offer it. You can probably see some cars with it installed.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xpel! I have a kit for my SS and I'm selling one
Old 04-11-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

What I do to avoid rock chips is I always ride at least 2 car lengths behind people and never ride behind semi- trucks or trucks that look like they may drop bits of dirt, sand, ect. Oh yeah, and many coats of wax and polish!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tudds
Xpel! I have a kit for my SS and I'm selling one
Thats what I was talking about up there!!!! Couldnt think of it!

Quick Reply: rock chip prevention