Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Today's project: polished brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Today's project: polished brake calipers

I originally intended to polish the calipers, paint the pad brackets body-color, polish the ZR1 wheels, and do a couple other small things. My approach was to remove casting flash with a Dremel, sand smooth by hand with varying grits of sandpaper, then polish the surface with a drill and 4" buffing wheel along with Tripoli compound.

This took FOREVER and I only finished the brakes on one corner, front driver's side. I didn't even get to polish the winter nastiness out of the wheel! It was dark outside so the pictures are a little off; I will take better ones tomorrow:

Old 04-17-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

looks good
Old 04-17-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i need new center caps for my formula's zr1's you know where to get them from>
Old 04-17-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

looks like it's well worth the effort though...
Old 04-17-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
i need new center caps for my formula's zr1's you know where to get them from>
Which ones do you have? I'm looking for some chrome/polished SS caps. I have the Vette centercaps on mine.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are some better pictures taken in the daylight. Please excuse the water spots and stuff on the wheels, I didn't get a chance to polish them because the caliper took so long to do! I think I like the results well enough to finish off the other 3 calipers though, they really do look great behind the polished ZR1 wheels...

Old 04-18-2005, 01:18 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Wow much better pics, you did a nice job on those. They look really nice!
Old 04-18-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tech
Which ones do you have? I'm looking for some chrome/polished SS caps. I have the Vette centercaps on mine.
the corvette ones...but the corvette part is peeling off and looks reall nasty...
Old 04-18-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
the corvette ones...but the corvette part is peeling off and looks reall nasty...
You can get some adhesive remover and take that residue off. One of my Corvette decals popped off and I actually like it better this way. I plan on removing the rest of them too! I think you can order replament caps from AFS Wheels, but I plan on sending a PM to dragonZ28 if I ever need replacement caps. I'm sure he could make some polished SS ones for a decent price. The only reason I would replace them though is if the indention where the Corvette decal goes stands out too much after polishing.

Thanks for all of the compliments guys! It sure was a lot of work but I think the results were worth it. When I do the other corners I will take some before/after pictures and do a complete write-up.

-Chad
Old 04-18-2005, 02:01 PM

looks good, how long did it take?? I was thinking about it but dont know how long it would be, maybe over the summer when Im doing the engine rebuild!!
Old 04-18-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

That one caliper took about 6 hours total... BUT, this was my first time ever trying to polish one so I was trying different techniques that would sometimes reverse my progress. I had to go back over sections and fix the work that I had just undone several times because I would try something new and it wouldn't work. This time also includes disassembling and painting the brake pad brackets, back of the visible brake pad, and the rotor hats and edges plus re-assembling everything.

I'm hoping I can do the next caliper in around 2 hours, but I will be using some sort of machine to help with the sanding. Either a detail sander like the Black & Decker Mighty Mouse, or an orbital handheld sander or something... ANYTHING but doing it by hand! This was the most time consuming part by far.

I do intend to do the other calipers, and I will post a full write-up along with before and after pictures whenever I am able to find the time to do them.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good!! I couldnt talk myself into doing mine just because of the time it takes. Sure does look good though..
Old 04-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Man that looks sweet!!
Old 04-18-2005, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

holy ****, those are your stock calipers? thats ****** unreal. please do a write up so i can make mine shine. good god, its glorious.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

write up write up!!

I was just getting ready to paint my calipers red, but i'm holding off now that i've seen yours!!
Old 04-18-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used these instructions as a guide. Bambeezer did a great write up with pictures and a shopping list for supplies you will need. Make sure to have plenty of sandpaper, the aluminum calipers will chew it up pretty fast so you'll need to switch sheets frequently.

Just start the project slow at first until you get the feel for it...

I will say that I didn't have much luck with the wire wheel on the drill though. The coarse wheels I was using left some pretty deep scratches behind that had to be sanded smooth again later. The only thing I really liked it for was the heat extracting vanes at the rear part of the caliper. The wire wheel fit perfectly between the vanes and cleaned them up nicely.

Step #1
The Dremel with coarse sanding bands works great for removing the casting flash, just use a light touch and let the speed do the work. You could also use 80-100 grit paper by hand, but it will take longer.

Step #2
I started out trying to use 220 grit but the progress was very slow so I switched to 180. This worked a little better, but the progress was still very slow by hand with the rubber sanding block. Keep sanding until you've removed all of the marks left by the Dremel and you have the surfaces flat.

Step #3
Switch to some 400 grit paper and keep sanding until you get the marks out from Step #2. This will have the surface really smooth and bright. This was my final sanding step.

Step #4
Use the Tripoli buffing compound on your buffing wheel and drill and buff the surface to a high shine. It may take a couple of rounds, but it will definitely come out shiny. If you find any flat spots or un-even areas, go back and sand some more. Any areas that aren't smooth will appear wavy when polished. It won't look right at all...

Step #5
Use your favorite metal polish to put the final shine on your calipers. I actually skipped this step, and the shine is still amazing. The pictures really don't even do them justice. I'll try to capture some better reflection shots soon.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

looks great i think i just found my next mod
Old 04-19-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AltrdPrcptn
looks great i think i just found my next mod

Same here but mine were already painted nbm but i think i will do this mod also.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitely gonna do this mod now. Looks great by the way!
Old 04-19-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick Reply: Today's project: polished brake calipers