Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4 Port Heat extractor hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 01:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4 Port Heat extractor hood

Does anyone have this 4 port heat extractor ram air hood? do you like it? is it worth the price....? anyone got pix?????thanx..
Old 04-18-2005, 01:55 AM
NKAWTG...N

i believe its made by mecham...and to my knowledge aren't the ports fake? i forget, i think i recall seeing it where the back looks like it has these bigs holes in it but they are filled in
Old 04-18-2005, 08:08 AM
12 Second Club

No, the heat ports acually work ive seen pix before and an article about it.. but i was wondering if any of the members had it just wanted to know if it was worth the $900...
Old 04-18-2005, 08:17 AM
Launching!

I've heard nothing but bad things about the quality of Mecham's hood, everything from fitment problems to splitting around the sides, plus the fact that the hood is not finished from Mecham when you get it.

There is a place that makes a 'replica' hood for a much lower cost (and much better quality), but I don't have the link handy and I'll be damned if I can't remember the name of the place right offhand...it may come to me later. I think the price was $500-600.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Mecham hoods suck for quality. (Had one on my 99 - some pics at link in sig). The extractor ports are real, but they are baffled to help reduce the amount of water that gets into the engine bay.

Hadn't heard of anyone making a replica of them... :shrug:

I wouldn't buy another one...even at half the price...
Old 04-18-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

heard nothing but good things about the look of a mecham, and nothing but bad things about the quality, especially for the price
Old 04-19-2005, 02:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shane
Mecham hoods suck for quality. (Had one on my 99 - some pics at link in sig). The extractor ports are real, but they are baffled to help reduce the amount of water that gets into the engine bay.

Hadn't heard of anyone making a replica of them... :shrug:

I wouldn't buy another one...even at half the price...
Well thanx, looks like thats a negative on the hood ! now i want the raptor... anyone know where i can get it cheap...?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Teching In

I have that 4 port extractor hood (however not made from Mecham) and the fiberglass job was botched! I was hoping that the body shop could fix it by blocking and sanding it and it ends up that they really couldn't do much to help. So I'm left with a paint job where it looks really wavy and the edges aren't smooth. Paid $1060.00 for it too. Talk about getting screwed. I didn't know much about the history of Mecham's products and had called them up to found out about the quality of their stuff. Good thing I ran into this site or I would have ordered another botched hood. Comp TA, if you can remember the place the makes the replica (hopefully in metal) let me know.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

I recently looked in mechams web site and even called the guy. he told me that as the company has gotten bigger they have upgraded their molding thus giving them better quality. www.mechamperformance.com I think it even says it on their web site. Let me know if anyone has bought one that comes out bad after knowing this.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mecham Performance
Due to demand we have been able to invest in improved layup and bonding methods. This results in better quality and a stronger, lighter hood. The economies provided by these improvements allow us to reduce our price! $745.00
Well I'm not sure if I would still take a risk with them.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pheonix
I recently looked in mechams web site and even called the guy. he told me that as the company has gotten bigger they have upgraded their molding thus giving them better quality. www.mechamperformance.com I think it even says it on their web site. Let me know if anyone has bought one that comes out bad after knowing this.
I must point out that he said almost the exact same thing when I called and asked about their hood quality...5 or 6 years ago. I suppose it could be true this time...*shrug*
Old 02-27-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CompTA
I've heard nothing but bad things about the quality of Mecham's hood, everything from fitment problems to splitting around the sides, plus the fact that the hood is not finished from Mecham when you get it.

There is a place that makes a 'replica' hood for a much lower cost (and much better quality), but I don't have the link handy and I'll be damned if I can't remember the name of the place right offhand...it may come to me later. I think the price was $500-600.

let me be the first to say that the ver 4 hood, (the one on my car) is much better quality than their older hoods..... they stepped up their game. I had virtually no fitment issues as well as prep issues.....

and to the person that asked.... the hood is fully functional.

as you can see the airbox through the front grills.....also if you look the new version, the rolls are enlarged much more than a raptor hood or even the older mecham hoods.

and also here are a few others

Old 02-27-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

^^^fitments do look pretty damn good.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Good looking car Raven. I think I'm gonna try and sell my hood and purchase a Mecham one.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

like i said, im very happy with what i have. i admit i was very skeptical after reading all the posts about quality.... however. this was 5 years ago when i bought the car.......(wow.....it just dawned on me my car is now 5 years old.....) anyway i bought a regular TA rather than the firehawk sitting next to it for the sole purpose of buying this hood (and that it was going to get VERY modded) if i bought the hawk.... it would still be stock.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Launching!

F@ck that fraud!! Don't touch any of his crap! He told me that same line about improving the quality, too. So what are the chances of me getting a new hood for free from his "much improved" pile of **** since I ordered one of his "less the shitty" piles of **** before? Probably the same chance as me posting without PICTURES!!! UH!!OH!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/518658/2

Also, I will update all of you in a few days on the better hood from the better company, just got computer fixed...
Old 02-27-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

01ls1lover are you still planning on getting one of these? I plan on it i dont care how much i have to spend on it i love it. Youre the one from yuba city right? lol this place is too small for us both to have that hood! nah im jj i dont care. I have been wanting this hood for like 5 years and keep putting it off but i dont care any more i want it too bad im gonna do it i dont care if i spend 2k in prep alone. It is by far the best looking hood ever for a trans am. I have searched and searched and searched and i have never found a replica. If you can pin one down let me know but im telling you, ive never found anything after countless hours of trying to so i doubt there is one. All mechams other stuff is alright including camaro hoods and even trans am spoilers so whats with the one fluke hood design?
Old 02-28-2007, 02:20 AM
TECH Resident

I like everything about it except for how the very front of the hood is, right in between the nostrils where it dips down. The firehawk badge doesnt even seem to help it much.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by matt6822
F@ck that fraud!! Don't touch any of his crap! He told me that same line about improving the quality, too. So what are the chances of me getting a new hood for free from his "much improved" pile of **** since I ordered one of his "less the shitty" piles of **** before? Probably the same chance as me posting without PICTURES!!! UH!!OH!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/518658/2

Also, I will update all of you in a few days on the better hood from the better company, just got computer fixed...
Matt, what company is working on your hood? I see that Rex commented on your cardomain, was he supposed to make a knock off mecham hood for you?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dementia
I like everything about it except for how the very front of the hood is, right in between the nostrils where it dips down. The firehawk badge doesnt even seem to help it much.

please ignore that on my car. anyone else who has it doesnt have that gap problem to my knowledge the reason i do is because i have no foam or metal bumper supports in the bumper at all so it sags in the top middle rather than being bulged up from the styrofoam support....

Quick Reply: 4 Port Heat extractor hood