Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

preventing swirl marks

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default preventing swirl marks

i just got some paint work done on my black camaro and i was wondering how to prevent swirl marks when drying the body after washing???
Old 07-21-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get yourself some MicroFiber towels. These are excellent for drying and if kept clean you shouldn't havy any problems with swirls. You can pick these up in the automotive section at WalMart or try a search on-line.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

ya those work nice
Old 07-22-2005, 05:23 AM
Teching In

Use Meguiars NXT wax to remove and prevent swirls from waxing as well..think you will like it!
Old 07-22-2005, 06:35 AM
TECH Resident

what about the "Absorber" towel, that rubbery thing they sell at Pep Boys, is that good?
Old 07-22-2005, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use 100% cotton towels to wash and dry the car. Plus, give the car a good rinse prior to washing it. Waxing regulary also helps.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Yup wax it.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i like the waffle weave towels. they are much more absorbant than the "super" absorbers and will not leave swirl marks or scratches like the absorbers tend to do once they get dirty. the micro fiber towels work well also but i think that they are more fore detailing than for drying. but either way, here is a link that you can get a lot of good products from as well as good detailing information www.autopia-carcare.com
Old 07-22-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SLPHawk300
what about the "Absorber" towel, that rubbery thing they sell at Pep Boys, is that good?
I used one for about a year.

Pros:
* Absorbs water very well
* Machine washable

Cons:
* If it gets dirty, it WILL cause swirl marks. Since it has no nap, the dirt isn't drawn away from the surface.
* Hard to move around on the surface. Like you said, it's rubbery, so it tends to stick to the surface, rather than move over it.

In the end, I got pretty frustrated with trying to move it across the surface, as well as having to be REALLY careful about swirls. I switched to a waffle weave towel and a large microfiber towel and am much happier with the results. I still use an Absorber around the cracks and crevices (around the rear window, around the lights, etc.), and it works really well for this because of how it wicks water away from whatever it's touching.

-Mike
Old 07-22-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 07-22-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had no problems at all using The Absorber. I started using it when I gave up on chamios cloths a few years ago. The trick is, you can't let the thing get dry. It has to be kept wet (even when stored). It will stick to the surfaces, if they are already dry. I do the "tablecloth" method. Grab the Absorber by two corners and spread it out on the car then pull toward yourself. Works like a charm. To get little left over streaks, I'll roll (or wad) up the Absorber and use the edges (kinda like a duster or paint brush) and just brush across them and… Poof! they're gone. Now, if you really want to avoid any chance at swirl marks, I suggest using an air compressor (or leaf blower) to remove 95% of the standing water and then clean up with a microfiber. Just my two cents.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Use Zaino
Old 07-22-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

an electric blower or leaf blower(be careful with this!!!), then microfiber waffle weaves to dry whats left, and keep your paint well protected, no wax/sealant=easier to create swirl marks when washing
Old 07-22-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Get a soap with high lubricity (Zaino Z7, Meguiar's NXT, etc.) and use a high quality wash mitt (Eurow sheepskin from Wal-Mart). Wash/dry/wax in straight motions, not circular.

I use 3 buckets for washing...one for whees/tires/wells, one for soap for paint, one with plain water to rinse mitt during wash.

For drying, use a leaf blower and follow up with a waffle weave drying towel (www.pakshak.com).

The less you touch the car, the less chance you have for marring.

Quick Reply: preventing swirl marks