Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just got the Front end Repainted

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got the Front end Repainted

Just got the car back from a custom painter. Repainted the OEM WS6 hood, headlamp doors, and bumper. Turns out the liscense plate cover was not repainted, but it doesnt need it. Its just dirty in the pics. They did a quikie wash job.

Im posting to get some ideas. The painter guy only charged me half odf what he quoted me. He had to fix the hood since it was from a junkyard. It has some fisheyes in it that he pointed out from previouse work on the hood that came through he said. He told me to bring it back in 3 weeks after the paint cures in the florida sun. He said at that time, he will determine if he will just wetsand and buff out those fisheyes or strip the hood down and do it all over again if it gets worse as the paint shrinks. My question is, can these really be sanded out? Isnt that buble under the clear? I took a pic of one of the fisheyes. There are about 6-7 of them. He said I can pay the other half when I am happy.

Old 08-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Teching In

It depends on how bad the fisheyes are. If they are too deep you won't be able to sand them completely out. The bubble in the pic won't sand out. That's usually a sign of paint lifting or any body filler under the paint lifting. Usually this happens when there isn't proper adhesion like when the panel isn't scuffed good enough or if it wasn't cleaned enough with grease and wax remover. I would just tell him to strip it down and do it again. I wouldn't pay him until the job's done right. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

probably going ot have to redo it.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Tell him to add a product called "Smoothies" to the paint. It's a fisheye preventer. If he's even a 1/2 way decent painter he will have heard of it.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure he used the reducer, but he will probley have to strip the hood, prep it and repaint it. Normally fisheye's like that dont come out with color sanding.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:13 AM
Teching In

You have to watch with fisheye eliminators because sometimes they can even cause fisheyes. The eliminator itself contains much silicone (which causes fisheyes) and it allows the new paint to expand over the contaminants. Problem is once you have used a fisheye eliminator your paint gun is contaminated and fisheyes will always be a problem. If he preps it, thoroughly cleans it, and does it right the second time you shouldn't have a problem
Old 08-18-2005, 06:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm. I'll drive it back today and let you know what he says. I also found out that when I flipped up the headlights, that they just masked off the headlight doors in the down position to spray the bumper. The part of the bumper that is hidden when the doors are closed is all hazy and rough. I don't think he personally did that and that job was passed off cause he knew that there were problems in there. Grrr!
Old 08-18-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

At the body shop I work it, if we get a car from paint that has some fisheyes, we then go get some clear, then dap some clear on the fisheye, let it dry. Then sand the spot and that seems to get rid of the fisheye.

Quick Reply: Just got the Front end Repainted