Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Cracking Clear Coat... Solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Cracking Clear Coat... Solutions?

Since I've had my car, the clear coat has been cracking left and right, mostly on the front fascia. I'm not sure if its from the sun or what. Any hard bump will also crack the clear coat. Someone hit my rear bumper with a garbage can and the clear coat cracked for about 8" in both directions of the impact, and the paint and clear coat at the impact is falling completely off. On the front bumper, just the clear coat is cracking so far, no paint has fallen off yet. Does this call for a new paint job?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crazy but i would say yes if you look close your bumper should have cracks in the paint so i was told to do it right new bumper.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes that's the best way.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

damn, i got rear ended by a car that was going about 15mph and it just cracked my clear in a couple of places, none of it comming off, sounds like your car has been repainted. you could try to have it re cleared... but i dont know how that would turn out
Old 12-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

did some one paint that car (not factor)
Old 12-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Launching!

If you want the paint to look good again you will have to get it repainted. It sounds like it has already been repainted and the clear was laid on in heavy coats instead of multiple thin coats. You can probably have a body shop strip the clear and redo just the clear and be lookin good again.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmmm... The dealership said my VIN came up as silver, not hugger orange when I went to get some touch up paint about a year ago... maybe I got fucked. The paint looks good everywhere except in the front. Also, the entire car is painted orange, inside and out, under the carpet, engine bay, etc... If it was repainted, they did a damn good job.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Hmmm... The dealership said my VIN came up as silver, not hugger orange when I went to get some touch up paint about a year ago... maybe I got fucked. The paint looks good everywhere except in the front. Also, the entire car is painted orange, inside and out, under the carpet, engine bay, etc... If it was repainted, they did a damn good job.

In that case I would just have a body shop strip the clear in the damaged areas and have it recleared, shouldn't be that big of a deal. I wouldn't worry about getting screwed with the color, if it is a repaint consider yourself lucky that one of the previous owners spent the time and money to have it done to the extent of removing the carpet and such. Not many people take the time and effort, let alone spend the money to get that in depth.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

They won't just strip the clear, they will want to strip the paint and repaint the whole part
Old 12-14-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Does the vin on the dash match the rpo code plate with vin in the glovebox. Just a thought or someone real through painted it.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
They won't just strip the clear, they will want to strip the paint and repaint the whole part
Your right to some extent, they will have to lay down some base coats(which I forgot about) after they strip down the clear and prep the paint underneath and then lay down the clear, but they don't have to get down to bare metal or in his case plastic to do the repair. Now most will probably tell you that because it will bring the bill a little higher because of the extra hours involved to strip down the paint as well, but you don't have to, trust me.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Banned

Did you pull the Vin and any other paint codes from the Driver's side door? Maybe there's a chance its a door off of a silver car...

And yes, if the paint is falling off, it is time for a repaint. No excuses, no shortcuts around it. If someone is going to paint it, it will be a strip, prime, paint, clear job.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:49 PM
317indy

Find someone that can do paint blend/matching and have them maybe reclear it. I recently had a kid at a Mikes carwash drop his handheld CC machine on my door and they had to pay for the repair and it was my door and blended into my 1/4 and it looks awesome. 586$ for the whole door and 1/4 so...
Old 12-14-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

The local autobody shop quoted me $200 to strip and repaint and clear the rear RS body kit piece that the paint was flaking off of. They quoted me like $600 to strip down and repaint the front fasica. They said to repair the clear they would sand the clear down. It wasnt clear if they would sand into the color or just a little into the clear. They they would lay down another coat of clear.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

The original post was cracking clear & PAINT. If the paint has cracked, you will need to
paint again. If not the paint has already 'stretched' to the point of failure. (CRACKING)
It will be easier to damage now.
My .02
Hawk
Old 12-14-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont have to strip it all off. I would da the entire thing down with some 320. Lay down some sealer. Then redo the color and clear.

Quick Reply: Cracking Clear Coat... Solutions?