Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

recarpeting questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default recarpeting questions

Slowly but surely my charcoal interior goes to completely black...I already painted every piece of vinyl/plastic black and I'm on to the recarpeting. I bought molded black carpet for the passenger as well as cargo areas just yesterday...

Advice? Do I need to glue anything? I know that I should triple-check fitment before cutting anything, but do you guys have any other pearls of wisdom? I've never recarpeted a vehicle before, so...

Thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Banned

I'm going to be doing the same thing here soon, let me know how that goes! I hate the charcoal interior!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2005, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

If it's molded carpet you shouldn't need to glue it. You'll want to lay it down and trim the edges with it in place and cut any holes you need. If you feel you need to glue it, you can get some 3M spray adheasive stuff that works great. I can't remember the number on it now. There's 3 or 4 different numbers depending on level of adheasion.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Can you use the stuff from like auto zone that comes in rolls for the new carpet ?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you get the molded carpet from? I was planning on trying stockinteriors.com, but always interested in seeing what else is out there to order from.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Advice lay the carpet shape to the hump tight. Then use seat-belt holes for reference.
Simple terms work from the center both ways. Then cut the excess @ the doors.
Hope this helps.
Hawk
P.M. if you need more+
Old 12-15-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by meissenation
Where did you get the molded carpet from? I was planning on trying stockinteriors.com, but always interested in seeing what else is out there to order from.
www.auto-interior.com

$200 for passenger + cargo area, not a bad deal.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does this compare to classicindustries preformed carpet or year ones? Wouldn't it now be a good idea to add some more sound deadener under the carpet before you add some more? If what I recall what I read, people use the frostking from lowes or brown butter. It just seems that w/o an carpeting down, it would be a good time to put it in.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

lay the carpet out in the sun to warm up. It will help with the stiffness when you go to put the carpet in. Or you can use a heat gun. I used glue when I put the molded carpet in my project car. I didn't use it everywhere just in some parts. The factory glue on the carpet so I did the same. I used some 3M glue and it held really well. Since I haven't taken apart the Fbody I don't know how it is. On every car I've worked on it has had the carpet glued. If you do decide to glue it just don't worry about it fitting up against every corner and like you said check every thing before you cut. Also don't cut a hole for a bolt just slit the area in an X if you can. It will look cleaner once its finished and there is less of a chance of making a mistake

Quick Reply: recarpeting questions