Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

t-top leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t-top leak

My driver's side window has started leaking, and soaks my seat. Being from Washington, rain is pretty much constant this time of year, so any time I drive the car it could get the seats wet....Its not leaking all the time, but seems when it is really coming down.

The window is rolled all the way up, and the door is shut securely. The seals/gaskets around the window and t-tops look fine.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

I hope someone replies to this because the same thing happens to me. It's not bad, just a drip, but it drips right on my arm and pisses me off.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same problem, I dont hink you can do anything about, its just the way the car is designed. My leak was improved greatly when I added my Sub frame conectors.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it out and re-install the t top This occasionally works.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Mine does the same thing, but only occasionally. I just deal with it seeing as how I live in San Diego.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blown 346
I have the same problem, I dont hink you can do anything about, its just the way the car is designed. My leak was improved greatly when I added my Sub frame conectors.
That's good news, seeing as how my UMI SFCs are scheduled to arrive on Friday
Old 01-19-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gabriel
I hope someone replies to this because the same thing happens to me. It's not bad, just a drip, but it drips right on my arm and pisses me off.
lol, I get the same exact thing....Anyhow I found the seam it was coming from and sort of "massaged" it as it looked a little misaligned and haven't had a problem
Old 01-19-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is a very common problem with the t-tops, I don't think I know anyone who hasn't had a few drops come in the car. Yours seems to be worse though. I remember seeing something on T.V. were you shut the door with a piece of string stuck between the top of the window and the t-top. With one person on the inside of the car and another on the outside of the car, move the string back and forth. Make note of where the string moves easiest, as this is where the water is leaking. Then you put some kind of a caulk behind the weatherstripping on the T-top where the string moved the easiest. I haven't tried it as mine doesnt leak too bad, but I hope it helps you.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had F-bodies for 6 years (2 cars) and this is the first leaking t-top for me.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by prince xizor
Take it out and re-install the t top This occasionally works.

Agreed, I am in washington as well i have the same problem when it happens i take off the t-top and put it back on leak is gone then comes back so on and so on.. but it works.But my subframes made it worse
Old 01-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Teching In

My car leaks when I drive thru a carwash. Never leaked it the rain.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about subframe connecters? Could this help at all.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tonyrssll
My car leaks when I drive thru a carwash. Never leaked it the rain.
aren't our cars not sposta go through carwashes? I believe it says so in the manual. something about the un-enclosed windows. I dunno.

And my car has the same issue! Mine drips occasionally right on my hand, and also drips in the backseat from the passenger side. Maybe I'll give that string trick a go...
Old 03-27-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrtf83
aren't our cars not sposta go through carwashes? I believe it says so in the manual. something about the un-enclosed windows. I dunno.

And my car has the same issue! Mine drips occasionally right on my hand, and also drips in the backseat from the passenger side. Maybe I'll give that string trick a go...
Same here, but my driver window is bad, if I have a lot of dew on my car in the morning, and I make a right turn it pours in pretty bad, and reinstalling
that top doesn't help.

Ive seen in pour in pretty bad from the pas. side in the back seat too, but thats rare.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by giant016
I remember seeing something on T.V. were you shut the door with a piece of string stuck between the top of the window and the t-top. With one person on the inside of the car and another on the outside of the car, move the string back and forth. Make note of where the string moves easiest, as this is where the water is leaking. Then you put some kind of a caulk behind the weatherstripping on the T-top where the string moved the easiest. I haven't tried it as mine doesnt leak too bad, but I hope it helps you.
I saw this on TRUCKS! on SpikeTV. The other method was using a smoke machine (no smell but you can see it) and puffing the smoke from the inside around the outline of the window to see if any exited the car. The way they fixed the problem wasn't with caulk though, they added a sliver of extra weather stripping under the weather stripping so that it would simply bulge out more and have it even with the rest.

Quick Reply: t-top leak