Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HID Headlamp Assemblies for 98-02 Camaro's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Headlamp Assemblies for 98-02 Camaro's?

Are there are on the market? How much? Link?

Blake
Old 02-19-2006, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

TRY THIS ONE http://www.xenonking.com/index.html YOU CAN ALSO SEE THE DIFFERENT OUTPUT COLOR ON THE DIFFERENT NUMBERS
Old 02-19-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

so which kit would be the one for camaros? i looked on the silvia website and dont knowwhat i'm looking for. also wasnt there a member on this board like the LED guy or something like that that was doing a kit aswell?
Old 02-19-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I'm waiting to hear from LS1_SS and Guy2626c about this and having it done the proper way.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Here is a old thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ght=camaro+hid

And the pics of the HID Projector retrofit:
http://community.webshots.com/album/116863233uyEamc

Here is the recent thread about where the guy is considering making a retrofit:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=hid
Old 02-19-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think anyone makes a housing for HIDs. The guys with camaros that have converted to HID either did a retrofit and put projectors into the stock housing or else they did it the not so good way of putting a rebased bulb into the stock housing.

If you have any specifc questions let me know. I've been studying HIDs for a few years now.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
And the pics of the HID Projector retrofit:
http://community.webshots.com/album/116863233uyEamc
I'd be careful about doing this. With that big hole in the back of the lamp that it will probably be permanently fogged up.

-Geoff
Old 02-20-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya, I just put the 9006 hid bulb in the stock housing, kinda blinding if you dont aim it correctly but, after ~2 years I never got pulled for it, hella ballasts but dunno what kinda bulb it was, 9000k I believe, photos of the color of the bulb in my sig.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by White_Hawk
I'd be careful about doing this. With that big hole in the back of the lamp that it will probably be permanently fogged up.

-Geoff
Keep in mind that the bulb area is still sealed up. The only venting is the factory vent, so it should not develop moisture or fog up.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Keep in mind that the bulb area is still sealed up. The only venting is the factory vent, so it should not develop moisture or fog up.
The projector will be fine. The rest of the lamp will be fogged up though. You could try to RTV around the projector to get it sealed back up, but it will be tough to get 100% sealed. Believe it or not, the OEM's do a ton of work to vent the lamps properly to keep condensation out. Once you introduce new paths of water intrusion, you are asking for trouble.

-Geoff
Old 02-20-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK, I think your specifically refering to RoadKnights install, he used a sealed Hella projector which isn't necessary, but I'm pretty sure he did seal it completely in the rear. The factory adjustment mechanism should be used to adjust the lights. I don't see a pic of it sealed in the rear, but I don't think he left it open. That would be rediculous. Water would get in there for sure.

And yes, the factory does make sure the whole assembly is sealed completely and then they install their own specific style of vents. Some designs use a rubber tube that is inserted near the top and then turns down to keep water out. Sometimes it is a smooth hollow tube and sometimes it has small zig-zag ridges to help dust stay out. Sometimes they add a small charcoal filter to also help keep dust out.

Some of the newer headlights use a special vent that looks like a circular bandaid about 3/4" in diameter. It is a special breathable material that just sticks over a hole. It repels water and dust.

Some use a vent that looks like a plastic cap about 1/2" in diameter. A hollow plastic tube is inserted into the top and then the cap pops on over it. There is a small gap around the edges that allows air to move past it.

A vent is necessary to prevent the hot air from building up and causing damage and to help equalize the air pressure.

Last edited by JasonWW; 02-20-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
OK, I think your specifically refering to RoadKnights install, he used a sealed Hella projector which isn't necessary, but I'm pretty sure he did seal it completely in the rear.
It looks like he tried, and didn't do a good job of sealing it. I just don't want people to see this and think they can just hog a big hole in their lamp and have a perfectly functioning HID system. Most people don't understand the concepts of moisture management in a headlamp, and cutting massive holes isn't going to help.

-Geoff
Old 02-21-2006, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, I don't think he posted any pics of it sealed in the rear.