Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lightweight Hood Strut Mod, How to.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Tech Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lightweight Hood Strut Mod, How to.

This mod is for anyone with a fiberglass hood that is worried about cracking or warping their hood because of the stock hood struts. It takes about 15min and cost me less than $3.

1. Take one of your stock stuts and place it in a vice.
2. Mark a spot 1.75in from the bottom of the wide part of the strut.
3. Drill hole useing a 1/8" drill bit.

***Warning. The strut is under pressure, wear safety glasses and do not stand directly over the strut when drilling.***

4. Go to hardware store, buy a small hitch pin, it helps to bring the stut with you to ensure that the pin you buy fits.
5. Optional. Buy a small length of chain (I used the type they use to keep you from walking away with pens at the bank) and rig it to hold the pin. See pics.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Tech Resident

Bump... I'll only do it once I swear.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Great idea and nicely done. Do you use that for day-to-day opening the hood or only when you need to have it open for a long time? The reason I ask is because it would seem to be somewhat awkward to reach the struts from the front when you open the hood.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:19 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any installed pics? Do you do that to both of them or only 1? I'd like to hear a review of it after it has been in use for a bit
Old 03-21-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think I'm going to do this on my 94Z (about to install a VFN hood on it). It makes much more sense than an ugly rattly prop rod, and I knew that there were issues with the factory struts and fiberglass hoods. Simple, easy, and I have a bin full of cotter pins at the house. Cost for me: $0.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, I'm gonna do this. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Tech Resident

To answer all the questions...

Yes I use it every time I open the hood, I've been useing it for about 3 weeks now with no problems, and it's not that awkward. I only did it to one of the struts and it works fine. Heres a pic...
Old 03-22-2006, 11:11 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice job, I have a VHN hood on the way. Did you say you only did it to one of the struts? So the other is under pressure?
Old 03-22-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

what does this do? Are the fiberglass hoods too lightweight and the struts cause pressure? Not sure what is getting fixed with this
Old 03-22-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

they are lightweight. you are taking the pressure out of one of the shocks and using a pin to hold it up
Old 03-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I was just speaking to the people at ramairhood.com and they tell me that there are spring loaded replacements for factory hood struts available at most parts stores. From the way he described them they're like the supports on folding table legs - they snap into position when you open the hood to hold it up and you have to push the support's hinge to get it to fold when you close the hood.

They don't advise using the factory struts on their replacement hoods but they do support (pun intended) using these spring loaded things. I'm going to see if I can find some and I'll let you know what they're like.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good. I wonder if its an easy part to find at an AZ or pepboys
Old 03-22-2006, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

I've been having this same problem for a while. I want to actually find new hood supports that have less pressure. Anyone know where to start looking? Does anyone actually know the pressure of the stock ones?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I was just speaking to the people at ramairhood.com and they tell me that there are spring loaded replacements for factory hood struts available at most parts stores. From the way he described them they're like the supports on folding table legs - they snap into position when you open the hood to hold it up and you have to push the support's hinge to get it to fold when you close the hood.

They don't advise using the factory struts on their replacement hoods but they do support (pun intended) using these spring loaded things. I'm going to see if I can find some and I'll let you know what they're like.
Update...

The supports are called "lift locks" and the only place that sells them is Advance Auto. They're made by a company named Pylon and are designed for use with worn-out hatch and hood support struts. They are universal fit - they go on the original strut and snap into place when the hood is raised to keep it open. Then you push on them to release and lower the hood.

You still have to release the pressure from the factory strut as described above but you wouldn't have to reach over and insert a pin when lifting the hood. The pin method is certainly less expensive so the question is how much would you pay for the convenience of automatic locking? The lift locks cost about $8 each and you only need one.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice find whitebird
Old 03-27-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did the "drill a hole and use a pin" mod on Saturday, but I think I'll be snagging one of those Lift-Locks, much more convenient.
Nice find!
Old 10-13-2020, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, I know I'm resurrecting a thread but this is great and I plan on doing it for my C/F hood. I hate losing the convivence of the gas struts, but to protect a nice hood it makes sense.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
Yes, I know I'm resurrecting a thread but this is great and I plan on doing it for my C/F hood. I hate losing the convivence of the gas struts, but to protect a nice hood it makes sense.
No, spend the couple extra bucks and buy struts for a lightweight hood. I don't know if VFN advertises them, but I've bought two sets from them in the past. I believe I paid $55 for a pair shipped. Worth it. Both struts hold up the hood, and the hood closes easily when you want it to.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd like to but the only place I see that sells them says they'll only sell them to you if you are buying a VFN hood. However, I don't see any restriction in putting them in my cart so I might just try to buy them and see what happens.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
I'd like to but the only place I see that sells them says they'll only sell them to you if you are buying a VFN hood. However, I don't see any restriction in putting them in my cart so I might just try to buy them and see what happens.
I had to call VFN when I bought mine, pretty sure they said they wouldn't sell them separately, but did.

Quick Reply: Lightweight Hood Strut Mod, How to.