Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting rotors, calipers and inner surfaces of rim.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting rotors, calipers and inner surfaces of rim.

Want to paint my calipers red, already know how to do that. I am going to sand them down so they are smooth first.

Rotors, any tips, I want to paint the areas that get rusty black. What paint should I use, how should i mask them, and any tips on prepping? Do I need to prime it?

The inner surfaces of wheels have the chrome chipping off. I want to clean up the chips and paint these surfaces black. Any tips on cleaninng up the chips and prepping this so that the paint will stick well?
Old 04-16-2006, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

Does anyone know how to paint these surfaces with black or any kind of clear coat that prevents rust?
Old 04-16-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

As far as the rotors go, you can really only paint the hubs, not the actual rotor surface as it will rub right off the first time the brake hits it. I had my hubs powdercoated and they are holding up extremely well.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can paint the hub part up till where your pad hits, a wire brush then some aerosol brake cleaner should do the trick. just some black spray paint is all you need.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

Make sure its high temp paint.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z28-CTYHNTR
Make sure its high temp paint.
if that makes you feel better. i dont know how many calipers iv seen sprayed with cheap krylon paint and last just fine, just let it dry
Old 04-16-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Duplicolor makes a kit that comes with ceramic caliper paint. Couple weeks ago I used thier kit on my calipers and rotors, and grabbed some random cast iron stuff while I was in the area as well.

Brakes and rotors get very hot, so I think it is very good advice to use specialized paint, but the prep work is also very important. The guy who does good cleaning of the rotors and calipers is going to have better luck because the paint will actually stick.

I cleaned up the inside of my zo6's with steel wool, and just went at them with Rustoleum heavy duty black paint, about 3 coats with a brush. Not sure how well that is going to hold up but anythings better than the chrome flaking. It might be something that needs done every year or maybe every other year.

My stuffs been on for about 1k miles now and is holding up ok. I know that's not saying much, but it's what I know.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Is their anything I can clear coat my rotors with, so they will not rust? thanks
Old 04-16-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

All I've used is regular engine paint for calipers and Rustoleum for rotor top hats and edges. Both work great.