Sponsored by: DashLynx

tint removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tint removal?

So heres the deal guys...
I have 10% tint on my driver, passenger, and rear window and ive been pulled over and ticketed twice now. So theres $284 down the drain and my dad is starting to get on my back about changing it. Legal limit is 50% on driver/passenger windows (i dont think i would change the back) I love the way it looks but i cant afford to keep getting these tickets, so do you think it would be worth changing it? I bought the car with the tint already on it so im not sure about how much it would be to replace it and i still have to find a nice shop to do it... should i just say screw it and keep it or change it? also im not sure about how many times i can get ticketed before they make me do somehting about it? Ive just had to drive with the windows down, but it gets cold!
Old 04-21-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed my tint because I kept getting tickets. It's not hard to do, just time consuming to get all the goo off the windows. I used a dish sponge with some ammonia-water solution. Worked out well. Don't take off your rear window tint, you can't get ticketed for that in any state.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Do you have t-tops? If so do you use the shade thing a ma jiggers.. If so stop using them the light commin in the t-tops help make the tint look less dark.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Warm Soapy Water and a razor Blade, and putty knife.....Usually helps get all the goo off.......
Dont change the rear at all....ake your T-top shades out as well, that will help it not look so dark.
BUT since you have been pulled over 2 times already, they will be looking for ya.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Yea, looks like ill prolly have to change it when this semester ends... thanks. BTW its a hardtop and they are def looking for me... i think ive been pulled over about 10 times now so they can harras me and ticketed me six times(3 speeding,1 U turn, and 2 tint)... cops just dont like a 19 y/o in a cool car
Old 04-22-2006, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lots of windex. . .(also has that ammonia stuff. . .)
Old 04-23-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

A tinters trick is to spray the window down with 409 and then cover it with a black trashbag, pushing the bag onto the tinted glass. Sit the car out in the sun when doing this and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Nine out of ten times the glue pulls off with the tint if you pull it slowly. Afterwards keep the glass soaked in 409 and scrape it with a razor blade just to make sure all the glue is off.

I've never used the trash bag method, but I've seen it done lots of times. I've had my windows redone three times for small scratches and just used 409 and a blade after pulling the tint off.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
I removed my tint because I kept getting tickets. It's not hard to do, just time consuming to get all the goo off the windows. I used a dish sponge with some ammonia-water solution. Worked out well. Don't take off your rear window tint, you can't get ticketed for that in any state.
you are wrong my friend. each state has their own laws about the rear window tint....i got ticketed for window tint and the ONLY window that was viasable was my rear one bc i had my side windows down.

i just took mine off and its real easy to do, just time consuming. first, youll need to take the tint iff the car itself, and make sure you get BOTH layers at once otherwise youll hafta scrapw it all off w/ a razor blade. after the tint is removed, spray the windows down with a dish-washer/water solution and scrape the glue off with a razor blade. for the rear window, do NOT use a razor blade to remove the glue bc it will rip off the defrost lines. jsut use "ooo" steel wool the scrape the glue off the rear window instead.

do a google on window tint removal if ya want more detailed instructions. good luck man.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
A tinters trick is to spray the window down with 409 and then cover it with a black trashbag, pushing the bag onto the tinted glass. Sit the car out in the sun when doing this and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Nine out of ten times the glue pulls off with the tint if you pull it slowly. Afterwards keep the glass soaked in 409 and scrape it with a razor blade just to make sure all the glue is off.

I've never used the trash bag method, but I've seen it done lots of times. I've had my windows redone three times for small scratches and just used 409 and a blade after pulling the tint off.
Simple Green and black bag works also.