Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Tail Lamp Lenses/Covers - Poor Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Tail Lamp Lenses/Covers - Poor Fit

I can almost get the width of my index finger completely between the top edges of all 3 covers and the end of the deck lid. Anyone else have a 2002 Trans Am with this problem? Was it corrected? How?

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fzylogic
I can almost get the width of my index finger completely between the top edges of all 3 covers and the end of the deck lid. Anyone else have a 2002 Trans Am with this problem? Was it corrected? How?

Thanks.
If I understand you correctly, both of my 2002 trans ams have a bigger gap up top as compared to the bottom. I had not noticed until you posted this. Doesn't bother me though, never would of known. You have good eyes.Was it supposed to be a problem?
Old 05-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Default Rear Tail Lamp Lenses/Covers - Poor Fit

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
If I understand you correctly, both of my 2002 trans ams have a bigger gap up top as compared to the bottom. I had not noticed until you posted this. Doesn't bother me though, never would of known. You have good eyes.Was it supposed to be a problem?
I spend a lot of time detailing mine. Don't know if it was supposed to be a problem or not. Definitely a quality issue. I can see body welds and what *should be* concealed areas of the covers.

I have a couple days left on the 3yr/36 and took it to a dealer last week. They said it would be denied because they aren't cracked or defective. I know they're covered but didn't force the issue. If they don't want to work with me on a warranty issue then I don't think I want to work with them later on when it'll be coming out of my pocket. I called Pontiac and they said "bumper to bumper" and that a rep would call. Haven't heard back from anyone so will call again tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

One thing for sure is that if I didn't have the gap then the dark covers for the rear lights would not have worked. The passenger side almost rubs the trunk when I close it. With out the crack I don't see anyway the covers would work. It will be interesting to see who has the gaps and if they have covers.....Good luck
Old 05-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Maybe I worded things incorrectly. I don't have dark covers. Mine are factory and I'm talking about a fairly large gap. It looks like they weren't pushed all the way in. They're pretty much flush at the bottom and the sides (where they curve) aren't quite as bad. I've looked around and have only seen one other with this problem. We removed the left one at the dealership and there's no way to adjust it. Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if others post and whether they have this problem or not.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:17 AM
TECH Addict

Does your hatch line up fairly flush with the fenders along each side?

What I'm getting at is that maybe it's a combination of the hatch not being adjusted correctly and the tailight/center piece housings being low. You can adjust how low the hatch pulls down along the back edge and there is also a slight amount of play in the holes that the light housing studs go thru.

If the hatch is slightly higher than the fenders along each side you can adjust it down till they are flush without it looking bad - this will close your gap along the rear edge. Then loosen all the attachment bolts for the tailight/center piece housings, hold them in the up position as far as they will go and tighten bolts. This should also close the gap slightly.

My gap is around 1/4 - 5/16" between the rear edge of the hatch and light housings/center piece. When my Tailight shades are installed there is only a 1/8" gap left.

These cars were mass produced by humans so every car is gonna be slightly different...

-Jay-
Old 05-12-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

As long as it doesn't leak...
Old 05-12-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine's a 2000, all the gaps around the hatch look uniform and
great to me...
Old 05-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Does your hatch line up fairly flush with the fenders along each side?

What I'm getting at is that maybe it's a combination of the hatch not being adjusted correctly and the tailight/center piece housings being low. You can adjust how low the hatch pulls down along the back edge and there is also a slight amount of play in the holes that the light housing studs go thru.

If the hatch is slightly higher than the fenders along each side you can adjust it down till they are flush without it looking bad - this will close your gap along the rear edge. Then loosen all the attachment bolts for the tailight/center piece housings, hold them in the up position as far as they will go and tighten bolts. This should also close the gap slightly.

My gap is around 1/4 - 5/16" between the rear edge of the hatch and light housings/center piece. When my Tailight shades are installed there is only a 1/8" gap left.

These cars were mass produced by humans so every car is gonna be slightly different...

-Jay-
Yeah, the hatch lines up pretty well and is flush. Hopefully loosening the bolts and tilting the housings up will help.

It looks so unfinished and tacky. I don't think the tops of the housings and center piece should be visible when the hatch is closed... At least not as much as mine are.

Thanks for the detailed reply.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

No problem!

Quick Reply: Rear Tail Lamp Lenses/Covers - Poor Fit