Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sound Dampened my…..

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damplifier Pro/Frost King installed…..

I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the right thread but this is where I found the idea so…..anyways, I’ve seen a few people looking for threads about sound dampening so I figured I would share my experience. I chose to go with the Damplifier Pro package from secondskidaudio.com, I ordered about 136 sq ft. I also decided to use five rolls of the famous Frost King from Lowe’s to top it off, and used every bit of both materials.

It took me about an hour to pull the interior and probably about 4-5 hours to layer the entire car. I took my time and covered just about everything but the doors (will do those another day). I applied about two layers of the daplifier pro in the rear of the car, from the back seats to the trunk area. Then I applied a layer on the floor pans and two layers around the tranny area. Then applied the frost king padding on top of the daplifier to absorb any noise that got passed the DP layers, then installed the interior and I was done.

If you try this project be careful not to over do the layers where the interior panels lay because you will have trouble putting them back on. After I removed the interior trim and carpet I marked the floor pans with a sharpie at the base of where the interior trim lays (placing the panels in their original positions momentarily) and was careful not to over apply in these areas. Be sure not to use too much material behind the foot peddles too.

I was skeptical about the results and was eager to test it out. I was amazed at how much sound was actually muffled from the damplifier/frost king layering. From the minute I turned on the car there was a definite difference in the sound. I can still hear and feel the deep rumble but the vibrations and echoing of the exhaust are gone. The majority of my interior noise is now coming from the engine bay and window seals from my t-tops which will be my next task to fix. I would honestly say I think it’s at least 40-50% quieter and a more enjoyable to drive and a little easier to carry on conversations too (cell phone mostly).

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails -2.jpg   -1.jpg   -3.jpg   -4.jpg   -5.jpg  

Last edited by MyKeySS; 05-15-2006 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

more pic's
Attached Thumbnails -6.jpg   -7.jpg   -8.jpg  

Last edited by MyKeySS; 05-14-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

I've seriously been thinking of selling my car because I'm so sick of the noise and rattles. my sub makes so much stuff rattle, and I hear so much noise..I drove a few bmws and even simple like hondas and they sound so much more quiet on the inside...what does it compare to?? like is it THAT much of a big diff?
Old 05-15-2006, 02:56 AM
On The Tree

looks good. how much did all the materials cost ya?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn, nice. how thick is it total? does the carpet and all that go back in and fit properly?
Old 05-15-2006, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Talking

Darkspoon: I feel your pain. I don’t have the subs vibrating my ride like you but the excessive road noise and exhaust drone does get old. I actually owned a BMW 330ci before my SS project car so I appreciate the value of a quiet ride. I only wanted/expected to muffle the exhaust and vibrations and this padding definitely did the trick. I don’t know how it would react to subs but it stopped ALL of my vibrations. On the freeway driving about 60-75 mph all I can hear is a slight hum from the exhaust and some howling from my front tires (engine bay area is not dampened). So in my opinion yes…it did make that much of a difference and this is coming from a skeptic.

20firebird02: This project wasn’t cheap but I’m not trying to low budget this car either. I would say all together:

Frost King @ 5 rolls = $75

Damplifier Pro @ 136 sq.ft = $515.30 (before shipping)

Total= $590.30

1SicV8: to answer you question….its thick!! I think the damp pad is 80mils thick I added at least two layers + that in some areas and the frost king is 1/8 in. thick….so it’s pretty coated. And yes everything went on a little snugger even after taking into account for the added padding.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by MyKeySS; 05-15-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Do you happen to know about how much all the dampening weighed. I want to do some to my car but dont want to add a lot of weight. I know there are some lighter alternatives but they all cost a lot of money which i could be spending elsewhere on my car.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would guess like 5 lbs but dunno, some of that stuff is pretty light weight
Old 05-15-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that much money - whooo it'll be worth it though - that'll be on my list of mods to do to keep the girl quiet :-/
Old 05-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Launching!

This is a great thread! I just ordered some Damplifier form Second Skin. Doing the trunk first. Then the doors next month. Love my TA but the road noise is ridiculous. The owner is real friendly and will answer all you questions.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Someone should sticky this !!!
Old 05-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1SicV8
i would guess like 5 lbs but dunno, some of that stuff is pretty light weight
Its definately gonna weigh a lot more than that.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Realmendrivev8s: I knew I wasn’t going to be able to avoid this question for long....thanks!! I recently installed custom interior and one of the things I installed was new carpet which had less padding and no heavy rubber matting like our stock carpet has but losing that extra padding made the interior even more loud. So what I lost in weight I most likely gained with this mod, so it was about a wash…now that im done justifying this mod here’s the shipping weight of each of the Damplifier packages I ordered.

Damplifier Pro:
Shop package, 80 sqft, 35 lbs $279.30
Bulk package, 36 sqft, 15 lbs $150.82
Truck package, 20 sqft, 8 lbs $84.79

Frost King-5 rolls, not sure 8-14 lbs, it was very light weight. First plan was to only use the FK but I really wanted to go all out and wasn’t concerned about the added weight, she still halls @ss!! If I take into a count the packaging and subtract for that I would say I added around 55-65lbs or so. Soo, to offset this I’ve told my girlfriend she has to go on a diet

BTTM: Good luck and enjoy…let me know if you have any q’s.

Eddielb: I’m up for the sticky too!!

Thanks guys!!

Last edited by MyKeySS; 05-16-2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why did you go with this specific company? Price? Quality? How do other things compare like brown bread, and fat mat isn't it cheaper ? thanks bud! I was really looking for a thread like this Sticky this mods!!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Well eddielb,

After tons of searching and researching I thought I had made up my mind and was about to go with another brand (can’t remember their name it’s on my work computer) when I stumbled upon a thread here naming secondskinaudio.com started checking out their site and liked what I saw. They even have a form like this one with lots of helpful people that use dampener and other products, customer service is good too-thx Anthony!

After searching and reviewing threads I was hooked and ready to order. Hope this helped..thx
Old 05-15-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Eh, if I wanted a quiet luxury car, I wouldn't have bought a Camaro.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn heavier than i thought, id def like that but dunno about the price.

looks killer man
Old 05-16-2006, 05:50 AM
TECH Resident

He so did not say bmw and honda cmon.. you didnt really think you were buying an fbody so you could be in a commercial to sit at a waterfall and hear nothing did ya? :")

You need that noise so you can hear the spooling up of the turbos on the riced out cars or the high revvign glasspacks haha. I dont care if I could hear a fly fart in a honda.. id kill myself before worrying about merging into traffic BMW.. 3 series.. unless its the m3 or m5.. a bmw maybe for the wife

Added weight helps for snow plowing I mean winter driving
Old 05-16-2006, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

I don’t remember saying that this stuff was magic and cut out a 100% of all noises. I’ve had several hot rods/toys growing up all of which were loud and smelly because of my exhaust so this time I chose to go a different route. In my opinion the dampening was a great mod for me and for how I use my car, but it may not be for everyone.

Remember I still get 100% of all my engine noise but now it’s not hidden by the loud echoing and vibrations of my interior rattling due to road/exhaust noises. What I get now is the sound of my raw engine with a deep muffled and still mean sounding exhaust note. My goal was to lower the interior noise which I did and whenever I get the craving to hear more all I have to do is crack or roll down my windows and I’m back in business. It’s just really nice to have that option, best of both worlds. Maybe it’s my age but I’m over the constant and excessive interior noises that my car was producing (thinner carpet didn’t help) so that’s why I chose to dampen my car.

1badv8: yes i didnt choose the cheapest route but that doesnt mean you cant. i think if you were to get one of the two larger packages and just do your trunk/tranny area you would proably be happy with that, or just stick with the Frost King under $100 and light weight too. I hear it works good and may be enough of what your looking for?

Thx guys!

Last edited by MyKeySS; 05-16-2006 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

MyKey that is what I plan on doing this winter. I have never done anything in the interior, how long would it take a novice to take everything out. I plan on doing the areas you did and also the doors.

Quick Reply: Sound Dampened my…..