Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

"Self Prep" before the paintshop

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 01:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default "Self Prep" before the paintshop

After reading the Maaco thread on here I'm starting to lean towards a color change (Sebring silver to Hugger orange). My car has many obvious scratches, some overspray, and lots of little imperfections. I have a buddy who is a painters apprentice at a reputable shop and I will get a quote from him, but if its to high, I might go to Maaco.

Everyone says "if you go to Maaco, prep it yourself". Ok, I will. How? Do I need to be removing body panels, glass, etc? Or, will I just be sanding stuff down. I'm wanting a basic color change. Body panels, door/hatch jams, and any body panel that wraps under the car. I'm not wanting the engine bay or interior painted. So guys, tell me how to get this prepped up so I can try and get a color change for under 1500.

STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD IF YOUR OFFER NO ADVICE ON HOW TO PREP A CAR FOR PAINTING
Old 05-16-2006, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For $1500 bucks the paint wont be good, just materials would cover that for a whole car.
I would save up and get it done right since you want the whole car done.
There is alot of work and hours to prep the whole car. One problem being is the doors, hood, and trunk are all fiberglass. You have to know whatyou are doing to keep things straight.
Another thing is body filler, you have to know how much to use in certain areas, and what areas need it.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:51 AM
12 Second Club

First things first, take off the spoiler and all the side marker lights aswell as the headlights and taillights. Next, get some spongy sanding blocks, a hard sanding block, a lot of 320 grit sandpaper, and 400 grit sandpaper.

Start by wrapping the spongy blocks with 320 grit and go over the whole car by hand with that. Make sure you use a lot of pressure. You don't need to go through the clear coat also, unless its cracked or peeling or there is a deep scratch. For really deep stuff use 150, then 320. MAKE SURE YOU GET ALL THE EDGES OF THE DOORS/HOOD/AND EVERYWHERED ELSE AND THE BOTTOM OF THE MIRRORS/BUMPERS/GROUND EFFECTS!!! Once the whole car is gone over with 320, go over any spots that got to BARE METAL ONLY or VERY DEEP SCRATCHES with sandable primer. Wait for that to dry then go over the whole car wetsandign with 400 grit. If you want to go further, you can wetsand with 600 after that, but I do not think that is totally necessary.

And since you are doing a color change, make sure you get the door jams and anywhere else you want painted. Pretty much if you want it painted, just sand it with 320 to scuff it up a lot then 400wet to smoth it out a bit then 600wet if you want to.

I had to bargain with the Maaco also to get the price down from $1000 because I prepped the car myself. Also, make sure you look at some of their work, they should have things waiting for pickup.

Good luck
-Scott
Old 05-16-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Blown346 I know I have to know how to do it right-thats why I posted this, to get useable info on how to prep a car. I wasn't looking for advice on not to do it, thats why there was the disclaimer.

Sk8runeg thanks for the useable info. I think I will call my buddy up at the collision repair center and get some advice from him as well. Who knows, maybe he can hook me up? Thanks again
Old 05-16-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Another question. My buddy's brother just graduated H.S. but has graduated from tech school for auto painting and has been a painter's apprentice for a good two years. If I were to offer him some money to prep my car up the right way, how much should I offer? He's not a full fledged pro but I'm sure he's pretty damn good. I don't want to rip him off I'm willing to pay a fair amount, just curious as to how much fair is.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was just making sure you know how much work is involved, I know if it was me I wouldnt try it.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

www.autobody101.com

My one piece of advice....hardly anything good EVER,EVER comes from a rattle can!! use quality primers!!

I know everyone says it, but it"s the truth. The prep is the most important part of any paint job...guide coats are your friend!!

Last edited by hondo; 05-16-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also, after you sand anything or use bondo, grab a rag and go over the surface with the rag and your hand. the point is, that the rag will let your hand feel all your imperfections. your hand might think its smooth, but the rag will really show you where there are waves or anything. works great!

Quick Reply: "Self Prep" before the paintshop