Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to get the adhesive for side moulding and badges?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to get the adhesive for side moulding and badges?

i did the !side moulding! delete on my trans am along with the badges and im not sure if i like it. i kinda think i may want to put them back on and just get the overlays for the badge. so my question where do i get the adhesive for the moulding and badges. would that be a dealer thing or what.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

I believe it's a 3M product called VHB adhesive....
I have a roll of the stuff at home I got from my dad.

http://www.3m.com/VHB
Old 06-08-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

k im guessing the badges have a GM adhesive because its shaped like the letters
Old 06-08-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

its cut to fit them
Old 06-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

I just bought some at Autozone. It's the 3m brand and should be just as good as the stock stuff. Just cut to fit.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

It's all 3M tape. They die cut the stuff for the badges and emblems. You'll have to stick it on and break out the Xacto knife and trim it to fit. They make varying width and thickness tapes so make sure you get the wide thin stuff to fit the badges.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

well im wondeering because i dont wanna use some aftermarket tape thats tufer than the stock stuff incase i ever decide to remove it again for some reason. the stock adhesive doesnt hurt the paint and comes off fairly easy. does the 3m stuff work the same or is it more sticky and such. or is it exactly the same
Old 06-08-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

huh, some people? why not just buy all new then. I mean, you know what it looked like with the stuff on there, and now you know what it looks like with it off, so why on, then off, again maybe, doesnot make sense to me.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

3M is what GM uses. There's different widths, thicknesses and adheasive strengths. I don't know exactly which one they use but it's pretty close to what you can buy in the store.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by daryl2cb@yahoo.com
huh, some people? why not just buy all new then. I mean, you know what it looked like with the stuff on there, and now you know what it looks like with it off, so why on, then off, again maybe, doesnot make sense to me.
well my car was kinda boring so i figured lemme pull it off and see if it smooths out the look of the car from pictures i seen it looked sharp. but my car has stock 16" wheels and isnt lowered and its not even a ws6 so it almost seems like it took somethin away from the car when i removed it, made it plain like it lost the lines of the car. i think the delete looks better on a car that has some nice rims and wide tires that fill up the wheel wells along with a more catchy hood and stuff. i dunno if u can relate or understand how im lookin at it, as it all comes together to make an overall good looking appearance on a car. why i beleive in the future i may do it agian is because once i have the money to get rims, drop it,get a ram air hood i think then it will look good but untill i give the car some better lines its plain looking and i think it might look better with it back on with some overlays for the badges. , if it was a soon thing id leave it but i dont think ill afford my other mods for a long time.
theres also a good chance ill never pull it off again but as an "INCASE" thing i dont wanna use some crazy *** super tape thatll kill the paint underneath
Old 06-08-2006, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

Then leave it off and buy some new wheels and a hood.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

as i said
if it was a soon thing id leave it but i dont think ill afford my other mods for a long time.
theres also a good chance ill never pull it off again but as an "INCASE" thing i dont wanna use some crazy *** super tape thatll kill the paint underneath
i dont have the money for the other mods nor do i think ill have it anytime soon.

Quick Reply: How to get the adhesive for side moulding and badges?