Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Arctic White paint procedure

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic White paint procedure

Just curious as to how many layers of paint and clearcoat are sprayed on the car from the factory. I am thinking about having the car repainted soon (the same color) and I'd like for it to be damn close to original.

Also, is regular paint usable on the black rollbar (last I recall it was a special kind of glue paint).

Furthermore, how much is AW from the factory (by the quart) and how many quarts does it take to paint the car?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can paint the sail panel any color you want. It doesn't have to be black.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:17 AM
TECH Regular

I know that, but can you use regular paint, or is there some kind of special paint you have to use on the rollbar, because I heard it was some type of adhesive based paint, that's what the recall was all about right?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Not sure about special paint, but the tech support bulletin (not a recall, unfortunately) is because the adhesive they used to glue the outer skin on wasn't allowed to vapor correctly (or turned out to be the wrong type of glue for the job). The bubbles are from the glue below the surface of the roof skin, not the paint itself. You could paint the skin bright pink (please don't), and it would still bubble.

-Mike
Old 12-05-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

You are lucky with the Arctic White as it hides most imperfections from the factory including all the orange peel these cars have. To answer you question, 1 gal is more than enough to do your car. You only want to put as much basecoat on as you need for coverage. You don't want to put layer after layer of basecoat like they do with lacquer. If 2 coats covers it, then that's enough. As far as clearcoat goes, I would put on 3 coats just to have enough for later wetsanding and buffing if you were going that route.

White is one of the less expensive colors to buy so it's just going to depend on your supplier, but you should be looking at about $100-$150 gal.

Yes, you can paint the sail panel with regular automotive paint. Nothing special about it on the outside. That recall had to do with improper adhesive being used on the underside of the panel to adhere it to the roof structure.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 12-05-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks a lot. So just use enough coating to cover the car, and then use 3 coats of clearcoat. To make the shine deeper, I would use more clearcoat correct??
Old 12-05-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, to the first and no to the second question. Piling on more clearcoat actually is not good with today's modern finishes and technology. If you are not going to wetsand and buff to obtain a show quality finish, then 2-3 coats(depending have heavily they are sprayed) are more than enough. If you are planning on wetsanding then add about 2 more coats to that number because you will be sanding off at least 1 coat. Many people think that more coats are better, but they are not. Too many coats are susceptible to delamination problems as well as chipping problems. When it comes to modern paint, less is more and definitely quality over quantity.

To get more shine then you would have to wetsand, buff and polish.

Bryan
Old 12-05-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where are you getting it done at? or are you planning on doign it yourself? and i think i saw your car at applebees a while back.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Regular

DEFINITELY NOT doing it myself. I was just curious. I wanted to get a feel for how they do it at the factory and then put a spin on the procedure to get a little more depth in the paint. One of my friends in South FL owns a body shop, so that means TOP NOTCH work for little $$$$.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hook a brotha up? lol i need a new paint job sooo bad, but i cant justify it when its still so slow.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Regular

I need to at least meet you first. Possibly UCF Car Club meet tomorrow.

Wednesday 9:30PM
North Parking Garage 4th floor (3rd if rain)
UCF Campus

Or if you work late, come to Applebee's around 11:30PM, we should be there around that time.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so it probably was your car there last time i was there, which applebees is it again? i remember its kind of close to dean rd. im not too horribly familiar with that area.

Quick Reply: Arctic White paint procedure