Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Short stick auto?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short stick auto?

I know it's been done, and I can't find it again thru the search. What exact modifications must be done or what kit must be bought, in order to have a shorter A4 shifter?

And for all you haters, this is for looks only.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

+1 im curious about this mod
Old 12-05-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah im interested as well...i hate how long the stick is! is there one for the TA?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brian2006
And for all you haters, this is for looks only.
LOL, I dont think anyone was going to think it was for quicker shifts.
Do you mean just a shorter stick with the stock **** or like an MBA style **** on there?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by farnoush
LOL, I dont think anyone was going to think it was for quicker shifts.
Do you mean just a shorter stick with the stock **** or like an MBA style **** on there?
You never know with some of the posters out there today Just a shorter stick all together. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the A4's but you can't just cut the stick in half lol. There's a spring loaded piece in the center of it when you press down the button to shift. So I didn't know if you can cut the spring and the stick in half or if you need to buy another kit or what not.

Bumpity bump
Old 12-05-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

You never know with some of the posters out there today Just a shorter stick all together. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the A4's but you can't just cut the stick in half lol. There's a spring loaded piece in the center of it when you press down the button to shift. So I didn't know if you can cut the spring and the stick in half or if you need to buy another kit or what not.

Bumpity bump
Yeh I have an A4 myself. I just searched and this is all I could come up with. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...to+shift+*****
Old 12-05-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

i did this on my 93z28 and it is a major improvement, that was the first thing people noticed when they looked in the car. there is no kit required, but you do need either a cut-off wheel or dremel. it has been a very long time since i did this, but once you take off the shift **** you will see a white tube inside the black shift stick, this is the thing that allows you to change gears when you press down the button on the top. the key when you cut is to keep the ratio between the black and the white tubes the same, if the white one is too short the button on top wont work that well. i really hope this helps, sorry its been a while
Old 12-05-2006, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

...so, Brian2006, are you gonna try it, I'd like to see the results...
Old 12-05-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Searching4Sierra
i did this on my 93z28 and it is a major improvement, that was the first thing people noticed when they looked in the car. there is no kit required, but you do need either a cut-off wheel or dremel. it has been a very long time since i did this, but once you take off the shift **** you will see a white tube inside the black shift stick, this is the thing that allows you to change gears when you press down the button on the top. the key when you cut is to keep the ratio between the black and the white tubes the same, if the white one is too short the button on top wont work that well. i really hope this helps, sorry its been a while
I understand what you're saying and that helps a lot. But are you sure they are the same in 98-02 models? I know there is a spring in there so how do you not know if you're not gonna have enough plastic to cut and end up only having spring left?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Launching!

I chopped my A4 shifter about 1 1/4 inches just for looks. Hate the tall shifter look. I have room to cut it down about another 1/2 inch which i might do. Not the best pic of it but you can see its much lower than stock. I can get more pics if needed.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dennsterTA
I chopped my A4 shifter about 1 1/4 inches just for looks. Hate the tall shifter look. I have room to cut it down about another 1/2 inch which i might do. Not the best pic of it but you can see its much lower than stock. I can get more pics if needed.
That looks great, how did you do it?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

There she is! Perfect! Exactly what I'm looking for!

Now the real question is, what exactly did you do to achieve the look? Just take a dremel while maintaining the same lengths?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

more pics would be aprreciated also what all was involved in doing this?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Launching!

There she is! Perfect! Exactly what I'm looking for!

Now the real question is, what exactly did you do to achieve the look? Just take a dremel while maintaining the same lengths?
You got it. I pretty much just cut everything down but kept the same lengths. I did have to tweek the white center puch rod part a little so when the car was put in park the keys can come out of the ignition. I did this with a stock A4 shifter out of my old 94z. I did have to drill out the **** to get it to sit lower too. Im guessing it might be a little different depending on what **** you use. The only problem you might have is that the shifter might want to pull off. The stock little clip that holds in on wont work anymore. I drilled a little set screw just enough to grab the black outside shifter shaft to keep it from slipping off. Mine was on tight so I didnt really have to do that but i figured might as well.
Hope any of this helps. Let me know if theres any more info you need.

More pics one the way.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

You got it. I pretty much just cut everything down but kept the same lengths. I did have to tweek the white center puch rod part a little so when the car was put in park the keys can come out of the ignition. I did this with a stock A4 shifter out of my old 94z. I did have to drill out the **** to get it to sit lower too. Im guessing it might be a little different depending on what **** you use. The only problem you might have is that the shifter might want to pull off. The stock little clip that holds in on wont work anymore. I drilled a little set screw just enough to grab the black outside shifter shaft to keep it from slipping off. Mine was on tight so I didnt really have to do that but i figured might as well.
Hope any of this helps. Let me know if theres any more info you need.

More pics one the way.
I've removed the shifter/center console more times than I can count. But, I can't remember, does that little pin go thru the shifter stick to secure the ****? If so, couldn't you just drill two more tiny holes once you chop off a couple inches?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Launching!

This might be easier:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/397352-new-a4-shift-knob-pics-need-opinions.html

The pics are when i first did it....before I tweeked it more. It sits a little lower now. I still plan on going just a tad bit more to make it perfect. BTW it does make a difference in the look of the console ( esp if you add gauges and toggles like I did ). Look amazing in person. If you do it you'll be glad.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm also interested and will be watching this thread. I already bought a take-out A4 shifter assembly to use so I won't be cutting the original.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Launching!

I've removed the shifter/center console more times than I can count. But, I can't remember, does that little pin go thru the shifter stick to secure the ****? If so, couldn't you just drill two more tiny holes once you chop off a couple inches?
yeah it goes through the shifter and hugs the outside of the shaft. iT DOESNT GO THROUGH THE CENTER OF THE SHIFTER SHAFT. You could always grind little knotches in the shaft.I just went with a simple little screw you cant see. but like I said mine was on tight and didnt really need it.

Last edited by dennsterTA; 12-05-2006 at 05:46 PM.