Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Microfiber Towels

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Microfiber Towels

Who all uses microfiber towels for detailing spray? Do they do a good job at drying the spray off, or does it just smear it? Do they work nice for wiping zaino polish off the car? They look like soft towels and better than 100% cotton towels. Trying to find something better than cotton towels, and that won't put swirls in the paint. Here's the Microfiber towels I was looking at - Microfiber Towels

How about for drying the car off after a wash, what do you use? I know a blower works nice, but sometimes I like a towel. Will the microfiber towels soak up the water, or just smear it? If you use 100% cotton towels made in the U.S.A., what brand are you using, and were did you get them?

Post up what all towels you use, and were you got them.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use microfiber towels for drying and buffing out polish/wax/detailer. i got mine from Target. i've bought multiple packs from there and i've never had any problems with them at all! they're great!
Old 01-20-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Quality microfiber towels are great assets to detailing.

Waffle weaves are the ones you want for drying and plush towels for quick detailers and wax removal.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

For drying off my car after a wash I use the Absorber, it works great.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe on a silver car, but stay away from absorbers if u have a dark colored car. Swirl City USA
Old 01-20-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by osvaldo
maybe on a silver car, but stay away from absorbers if u have a dark colored car. Swirl City USA
i wish i would have know that before
what do you recomend for black cars?
Old 01-20-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

meguiars has a nice waffle towel, i think its called a water magnet... any plush waffle microfiber towel will do. but no matter what u use, make sure u get 2 of them, and dont drag it across ur paint, (this will cause more swirls) instead u should fold it in fourths and "dab" ur paint with it. then finish it off with the other towel using the same technique.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

meguiars has a nice waffle towel, i think its called a water magnet... any plush waffle microfiber towel will do. but no matter what u use, make sure u get 2 of them, and dont drag it across ur paint, (this will cause more swirls) instead u should fold it in fourths and "dab" ur paint with it. then finish it off with the other towel using the same technique.
saawweet! thanks ima look into those!
Old 01-20-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about those wiper blade looking things i see in the stores. Looks like it would scratch your paint but I've seen one guy use it and he loves his
Old 01-20-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastmatt98
What about those wiper blade looking things i see in the stores. Looks like it would scratch your paint but I've seen one guy use it and he loves his
I recommend water blades for glass only ..

safest process is to use a blower, then a good waffle weave ..
Old 01-21-2007, 05:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gipraw

safest process is to use a blower, then a good waffle weave ..
Exactly, you want to touch the car as least as possible. Especially, Black cars.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have used it on a black z06 and not one swirl.

But i never use a terry towel on the paint any more. Just the door jams,under the hood,trunk and rims then tires.
Attached Thumbnails Microfiber Towels-cats-006.jpg  
Old 01-21-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

I also recommend staying away from the Absorber.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think it doesnt matter WHAT u use, but it's all about HOW u use it. an absorber could work, as long as ur not draggin it across ur paint, thats what creates friction, which creates swirling. as stated above, u need to "dab" ur paint wit ur drying tool. but i just feel safer with an microfiber water magnet
Old 01-21-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Microfiber all the way here! I use Wizards, they are sold at NAPA...I also use the Wizards Mist-N-Shine spray. I love it and it makes my red just pop out better than new. I always get compliments after applying this stuff!

I usually just dry my car right after washing with one of the towells they sell for $1.00 at the car wash, than I mist-n-shine.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont get why people reccomend using a leaf blower. My paint is black and without fail, a leaf blower ALWAYS leaves water spots. I prefer the ol' microfiber towel to the leaf blower any day of the week.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gallstaff
I dont get why people reccomend using a leaf blower. My paint is black and without fail, a leaf blower ALWAYS leaves water spots. I prefer the ol' microfiber towel to the leaf blower any day of the week.
In general, when a vehicle is protected with a good wax/sealant, a leaf blower will remove the vast majority of the water on the surface, and the rest can be dried quickly with a quality towel.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Launching!

i use an absorber too, but i have a white car. and i use microfiber towels to do my quick detailing and wax removal with.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

The goal is to dry the car with as little contact as possible.

As Zane mentioned, when using a leaf blower on a well waxed car, you will be left with very little to dry. That little bit of drying should be accomplished by using a high quality waffle weave, and a blotting motion, not a rubbing motion.

Why a waffle wave, instead of an absorber? NAP. you want to use something with as much nap as possible, because the more nap you drying instrument has, the less likely you are to scatch your paint if there is some dirt or debris left on the surface (and there almost always is). Plus it will hold two to three times the water that a regular terry towel will ..

While an absorber will hold as much water as a good waffle weave, it has very little nap, and is therefore much more likely to scratch your paint

A high quality waffle weave is the best of all worlds.. it has as much nap as a terry towel does, and the absorbing properties of the absorber, but is micro fiber, so won't scratch like the terry could, and has lots of nap, which the absorber doesn't.

Quick Reply: Microfiber Towels