Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine bay is going under the knife for the winter - need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Engine bay is going under the knife for the winter - need some help!

Well heres some pics of the engine bay before I put the car away for the winter.

Here is what I'm planning on / thinking about.

I have already pulled the valve covers , maf, throttle body, and coil packs to either polish or paint. I would like to polish all of it (obviously not the coil packs) but I'm not sure its the best idea for a car that will be driven alot. What do you all think polish or paint? and if paint what color ? I think black is the only thing that I could get away with but I'm not sure, I'm not opposed to some polished and some painted.

I think I want to paint the coil packs red to give the engine bay a little more red accent.

The other thing I was looking for some advice on is the paint in the engine bay, there are quite a few spots where it is chipping or peeling and a large portion in front of the battery where the paint is completely gone (i think the previous owner had a battery explode and didn't clean it off)

So is there any way to fix all of that? Is it possible to just mask / bag off alot of stuff and prep and rattle can the engine bay or would it just look worse than it does now? I know you can't really tell from these pics but its in pretty bad shape.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:49 PM
10 Second Club

My valvecovers are polished and do pretty good as a daily. Just have to keep up with them, they suck to clean though I'll tell you that.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

any pics?
Old 01-23-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

any ideas please?
Old 01-23-2007, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its super clean aready
Old 01-23-2007, 02:56 PM

good luck with it, although it looks really good right know very clean
Old 01-23-2007, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Luna
any pics?
I'll see if I can go take one, gotta find the digital camera.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks for the compliments guys but I'd really like to get some opinions on where I should go with it.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:46 AM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My plan is to have a mixture of polished and painted stuff, but mostly painted. I polished my own TB, and have the MAF out now to polish the ends and hose clamps. FRC’s and lid are on order from a moderator whose user name rhymes with “bar break” and starts with a “p”. I think I am going to prep my intake manifold and lower airbox and have a local paint guy shoot it for me. Just some common stuff for you to consider. As far as you repainting damaged areas, I do not know. I also do not know about red coil packs. I am not real good at designing complex schemes. I am pretty much sticking w/ black, white, and a little polished metal in my bay.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:40 AM
12 Second Club

With the breather you have, I have a little advice weather you accept it or not is up to you. I have the same breather... I added long tube headers and have the same standard mods(K&N Fipk, ported TB).. When I was tuning my car with the predator tuner I couldn't get my fuel trims correct and was driving me crazy.. Finally I thought about the breather since it was the last thing I added... I decided to put the stock cap on and my fuel trims fell back in line where they should. People claim this is not going to cause fuel trims to be off, but it messed mine up and even my gas mileage increased without it on. I still have my billet breather on, but I put a piece of metal to cover the hole so no air is sucked though the breather. I'm not sure if it was from the added air being sucked in due to LT headers or what, but all is good since I did this.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:06 AM
TECH Junkie

u probably had the line still running to the throttle body huh rot?

the maf and TB if u can polish them good, then go for it. the VCs i personally would paint, maybe silver. or black VCs with silver coil brackets. u can also paint ur coil packs if u wanted them gloss or silver or whatever.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

wheres lucky, hes got a polished engine.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

98's don't have coil brackets. Thanks for the ideas guys keep em coming.

As for the breather, I don't really see any problems it has caused, maybe after I pick up a copy of HPTuners I'll check it out some more.

Quick Reply: Engine bay is going under the knife for the winter - need some help!