Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tint guys: need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint guys: need some help!

So I just got my car tinted Wednesday, it looks really good. There is a problem though.

The place that tinted it said that the teflon dots or w.e the are made it do this. It isnt stuck to the windsheild towards the top and it looks like i don't even have it done all the way. Do any of you guys know how i can get this fixed? Or should i just cut a clean line right below the dots to make it look a little better? Thanks in advance, and I'm lovin my new 15% tint by the way

Last edited by kevinclark09; 01-27-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard somewhere about using a rattle can to spray that area black before you tent it. It looked pretty nice. Maybe someone could fill in on it.

I don't know what you could do to fix it now that the tent's already on..
Old 01-25-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I had mine tinted umpteen years ago, they tinted it all the way up. It had bubbles for a few days while it was driving, then I took it back and they sqeegied it again and it looked just fine.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

You will have that in the dot matrix probably 95% of the time. You can cut away the tint and rattle can the area and you will never see it. Me, i just left mine the way it is..
Old 01-25-2007, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

yea common...when i had 15% i just had a strip of vinyl put up there. and then the tint from there down...look amazing...i miss my tint...
Old 01-25-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
You will have that in the dot matrix probably 95% of the time. You can cut away the tint and rattle can the area and you will never see it.

Seriously, the best way (for a show quality look IMO) is to use flat black spray paint over the dot marix area first, then tint over the paint. This is the method I used as it was recommened by 2 local tint shops. The results are so nice I have had other tint companys stop me at shows asking just how the tint was done so there is no bubbles in the dot matrix.

I would think you could carefully cut the tint back and spray over your dot matrix area. Be sure to cover your interior with plenty of sheet to keep overspray off of your seats.

Greg

Pics of mine painted ......

Old 01-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tbird31
yea common...when i had 15% i just had a strip of vinyl put up there. and then the tint from there down...look amazing...i miss my tint...
That's what mine did. I think it looks fine with the vinyl.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Banned

Mine is also doing that, I took it back to them to ask about it. He explained what it's doing (what you guys said) and told me as it dries, the tint will get pulled to the window. We'll see.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for all the input guys, i just want my car to look as best as possible. ill definatly put some of these ideas into consideration, and SS LS1: your car is amazing, ill have to try some flat black paint
Old 01-25-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My tint is like that too. Almost every fbody i've seen with tint has the same problem.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

fixed it today, i cut back the tint to the top defroster line and spraypainted the rest. ill have some pics up soon.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, I'd like to see pics. Some tinters use a glue stick on the bubbles to make the tint stuck and it doesnt bubble.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trust
Yea, I'd like to see pics. Some tinters use a glue stick on the bubbles to make the tint stuck and it doesnt bubble.
yeah i have a few different "tint glues" / adhesion promoters that will help make the tint stick to the dot matix, sometimes we'll wetsand the dots some to help knock them down a little. i've never been a fan of the painting, but it does look good, i just personally have never liked the idea
Old 01-28-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
yeah i have a few different "tint glues" / adhesion promoters that will help make the tint stick to the dot matix, sometimes we'll wetsand the dots some to help knock them down a little. i've never been a fan of the painting, but it does look good, i just personally have never liked the idea

Matt, from a tint shops point of view I would agree as it takes much more time to mask, paint and let dry vs. using glue. But for someone to mask and paint their own window at home first then have the shop tint the window I woud still recommend it.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got mine done last summer and it did this... I took it back like two times and they said just give it more time, He said it could take as long as eight months for the tint to seal completely to the dot matrix. I got pissed and he said he would refund me the money and take it off the back window but since I have a three year warranty I was just going to deal with it next summer since my car is parked for the winter now. I still need to figure something out. Thinking about maybe cutting it myself and painting it... but will that look stupid with just the paint on the dot finish and the tint butting up to it?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by onefastbird95
. Thinking about maybe cutting it myself and painting it... but will that look stupid with just the paint on the dot finish and the tint butting up to it?
You really can't tell unless you are looking for it or you're right up on it. When i finish some touchup on mine i'll post some pics.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry it took so long, but here's the tint finished. I ended up cutting the tint along the top defroster line and spraypainting it flat black from there up.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Very nice! I love the look of the 4th picture down!

I was trying to get myn "tinted" all weekend. I had cut the top section of the matrix and spray painted it with the VHT nightshade. And nope it did not work. So whoever thinks about it, do not try it! Its never an equal tint percentage when you spray. And when you try to even it out its already sticky. So I spent three hours on Saturday pickin off that VHT tint with my nails.

Im thinking of spraying it with clear coat now. Because as long as you have no grooves between the matrix dots im sure the tint will stick without leave the air bubble look. And you won't have flat black spray paint look mark clearly visible whe you lift your hatch. Its hard to explain but im sure someone understands what im trying to say.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blackops22
Very nice! I love the look of the 4th picture down!

I was trying to get myn "tinted" all weekend. I had cut the top section of the matrix and spray painted it with the VHT nightshade. And nope it did not work. So whoever thinks about it, do not try it! Its never an equal tint percentage when you spray. And when you try to even it out its already sticky. So I spent three hours on Saturday pickin off that VHT tint with my nails.

Im thinking of spraying it with clear coat now. Because as long as you have no grooves between the matrix dots im sure the tint will stick without leave the air bubble look. And you won't have flat black spray paint look mark clearly visible whe you lift your hatch. Its hard to explain but im sure someone understands what im trying to say.
dang thats a good idea to put clear on it, i wish i would have know about this problem before i got my tint done. good luck with yours.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by schtick
Tint it all the way up. It had bubbles for a few days while it was driving, then I took it back and they sqeegied it again and it looked just fine.

Same here, all the way up....

I sqeegied 5-6 days later, and it's all good in da hood.....

Last edited by Kage; 05-09-2007 at 05:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Tint guys: need some help!