Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Well i need some help on waxing my car today

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Well i need some help on waxing my car today

well im off work and im goin to wax my car today.well my car has some fine scratches in it and seems to lost the Pop it once had .well i will be doin all this by hand so what would you recommend i do to help it out as in products .

I will start by washing and clay baring the whole car .then i will allpy a good wax and then what should i apply a polish right over the wax or a sealant perhaps. just looking for insight on products you guys use that can be had at local auto shops. just looking for a deep gloss and hide soem imperfections. later on i will have a auto shop buff/ wax the whole car i just dont trust my self to do it with a buffer
Old 02-08-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

1st of all, buy yourself a Porter Cable 7424. It's a random orbit ( dual action ) polisher. You can buy velcro pads that can be changed throughout a detailing session. This is just a tip for the future, i would not bother with the detail / body shop doing it. They may cause more harm than good.

On to the "today" detail. You polish before you wax. Find some Meguiars Professional line # 80 speed glaze or # 83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish. These will help with the imperfections. Meguiars # 26 liquid Tech Wax is an awesome product. Easy to use, wipes off with no hard rubbing. Or Meguiars # 16 paste wax is nice. You can go to a harley dealer and find S100 it's the same as P21S which is another popular paste wax.

Wash / Clay / Polish / Wax
Old 02-08-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can also go to a CarQuest, if it is in your area, and try and find some DuraGloss Products/

Their Aquawax, is a spray was but gets good reviews
Old 02-08-2007, 08:49 AM
12 Second Club

I just did mine yesterday and it's black. Dawn dish soap washed two times. Then a thorough wipe down...couldn't find a clay bar yesterday. Next was the Turtle wax scratch filler (the color specific kind) Comes in many different colors. I applied that with a porter cable.. Removed it with a terry cloth towel (brand new) Went over it with a final polishing pad on the porter cable again. Next step was Meguiar's Gold liquid wax applied with porter cable. Used the porter cable with a wax removal pad to take it off. Went over it again with a new terry cloth towel to remove anything I missed. Last step was the final polishing pad again. Car has zero swirls and looks like you could swim in it. Took forever but it was worth the effort.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

You realize you could make it look much better if you weren't putting black filler on top of a clear coat right?
Old 02-08-2007, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

maybe if it hadn't been through about 7 sand storms in Cali...but it was sitting next to a brand new black vette this morning and looked equal if not better
Old 02-08-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
You realize you could make it look much better if you weren't putting black filler on top of a clear coat right?

i always thought those "color" products weren't all that great,
since cars have clear coats nowadays, you are putting something colored onto it, wouldn't it affect the finish in a negative way ?

like smearing mud on a headlight lens ??
Old 02-08-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by edwardswb
maybe if it hadn't been through about 7 sand storms in Cali...
Yuck, what area was that in? Thinking about that
Old 02-08-2007, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

F'n Twenty Nine Palms...stationed there for about 6-7 months. Then again driving home to Oklahoma...I'm a sand storm magnet man. You should see the vid I have of the one's I brought down in Iraq. lol
Old 02-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

I used Adam's Polishes swirl and haze with the revive polish along with the porter cable random orbital. It worked great. Adam's polishes have different pads to add the PC for deeper scratches or swirls

Quick Reply: Well i need some help on waxing my car today