Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Powder coat headers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder coat headers?

I have a good shop in town thats got great prices for powder coating. if i got my headers coated would it last or will it burn off after awhile?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

powder coating if I understand it is meant to replace paint...if it's a HIGH TEMP coating, should be fine. I don't know the ins and outs of powder coating, but doesn't seem likely it's meant for high-temp applications...
Old 03-14-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i kinda don't think it would last long either. just thought i would ask before i spent the money.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Teching In

by no means am I an expert in the field but I do know they make high temp paint that can withstand constant temps of over 1000 degrees farenheit without a problem (or so they claim). I am thinking of trying that on my Mac Mids. I know a site that sells the high temp powder paint for a descent price (about 15 bucks per pound shipped) and a pound is WAY more than enough to do just headers. PM me and I will give you the sight. It is not a sponsored sight so...

Also, if you do buy the powder and just ask the people at the shop to use the one you bought (if they order it they will overcharge you), it works with the same powder coating gun as normal powder the only difference is the curing temp which will be listed on the powder and the guys at the shop are probably at least remotely experienced with it...
IMO I think it would headers would look sweet in a glossy black.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

powder coating + headers = no good

you need a ceramic coating for your headers, do a little searching. I've had a custom made header ceramic coated by a powercoater in OKC, I'm sure there are people all over who'll do it.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Most powder-coat is processed at 400 degrees in the ovens.
How hot do ya suppose the headers get?!?
(Hint, why do they make 1000 degree header paint?)
Old 03-15-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

cast iron manifolds is one thing, but we're talking about thin-walled tubing here. I guarantee you that the exterior surface is significantly hotter than 400° F, especially if you're driving hard for extended periods of time. I don't have a number for you, but it's more than 400°, and there's a reason they came out with ceramic coatings.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Teching In

they make high temp powder, but it only comes in a very limited amount of colors. Regular powder will not hold up to that high of a temp and will chip off. High temp powder will work and will last longer and look better then high temp paint.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Teching In

I found this on a website who sells high temp powder:

"Continuous testing for 48 hours at 800°F indicates these products hold gloss, color and physical integrity at this service temperature. Testing for 168 hours at 1000°F indicates good performance up to 24 hours with some gloss reduction at extended times and higher temperatures. Testing suggests good film integrity after extended exposure to temperature at 1200°F."

I couldnt imagine the surface temp of headers going over 800 degrees F. But who knows?

site: http://www.forrestpaint.com/stovebri..._general1.html
Old 03-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

from the place i get my powder from, for regular powder coating, this is what they say about their high temp powder:

"At Last! High temperature powder for header and exhaust manifold applications! We're pleased to present this range of 4 High Temperature Exhaust System coatings similar in color to our popular liquid high temp coatings. These high silicone content powders withstand temperatures up to 1000ºF and offer superior durability when compared to brush and spray-on coatings."

They offer the colors: satin black, stainless steel grey, factory grey, powder silver, chemlon blue, and chemlon orange.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Powder coating will melt off and smell like *****. You need to ceramic coat your headers. If you wanted to powder coat to get a specific color we have different ceramic colors. In stock we have the chrome, titanium, black and red, but we can order almost anything

www.ceramicexhaust.com
Old 03-15-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vintageagain
from the place i get my powder from, for regular powder coating, this is what they say about their high temp powder:

"At Last! High temperature powder for header and exhaust manifold applications! We're pleased to present this range of 4 High Temperature Exhaust System coatings similar in color to our popular liquid high temp coatings. These high silicone content powders withstand temperatures up to 1000ºF and offer superior durability when compared to brush and spray-on coatings."

They offer the colors: satin black, stainless steel grey, factory grey, powder silver, chemlon blue, and chemlon orange.
Do you possibly have a link to this place?

Quick Reply: Powder coat headers?