Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Porter Cable tips on Firebird...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porter Cable tips on Firebird...

Hey all, I just picked up the 7424 kit from Tropi-care to try and get rid of some of the swirl marks and spider scratches that cover every surface of my 150k mile black formula. I am worried, or rather just curious as to the best tehnique to use on certain areas of the car such as the scoops on the ws6 style hood, the valley in between the scoops specifically and the curvy area under the spoiler. These areas all seem to small to really get the pad into well without causing some damage to the edges of these areas. Any tips would be appreciated.

Nick
Old 04-24-2007, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

You need the correct pads that recess the backing pad and have an edge. See pics below.

Last edited by DrkPhx; 12-14-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

As long as you are careful, and do not bear down too hard, you will have no issues with the PC, using TC-8 on your hood.

It is always a good practice to stay off the paint edges, but the rounded slopes of the hood are not a problem .. just make sure you pads are in good shape ..
Old 04-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Maybe you should look into 4" pads.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PedroDePackas
Maybe you should look into 4" pads.
no need, in my opinion .. and the ability to cause damage can increase as the pad size decreases ..
Old 04-25-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've detailed using that buffer for over a year now and the swirl cutter can not and WILL NOT damage your paint or your edges. Keep it wet, go at speed 5, and cover about half an inch every second or so. Go VERY slow. The TC-8 is not abrasive enough to cause any damage. Let the natural weight of the buffer apply the pressure. You are just along for the ride. Don't push down.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies and tips everyone. I really can't wait to get the kit.

Nick
Old 04-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gipraw
no need, in my opinion .. and the ability to cause damage can increase as the pad size decreases ..
Well for me the only way to really do any work in that center ridge of my WS6 hood with the PC, other that by hand of course, was to use the 4" pads. Anything else was just too cumbersome.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PedroDePackas
Well for me the only way to really do any work in that center ridge of my WS6 hood with the PC, other that by hand of course, was to use the 4" pads. Anything else was just too cumbersome.
I can understand that .. and personally, I use them at times myself .. but they can cause issues for someone that is not experienced in using a PC, (think more force per suare inch) so I would hesitate to recommend them to someone that is getting ready to drive their PC for the first few times ..
Old 04-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gipraw
I can understand that .. and personally, I use them at times myself .. but they can cause issues for someone that is not experienced in using a PC, (think more force per suare inch) so I would hesitate to recommend them to someone that is getting ready to drive their PC for the first few times ..
Totally. It wasn't until my second detail with the PC that I realized I could use some 4 inchers in certain areas, both for the extra cutting ability and their size. By then I felt more comfortable with what the machine could do, you know. I also found them to be the perfect size for polishing out them tail lights.

Quick Reply: Porter Cable tips on Firebird...