Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Projectors on the Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:31 AM
SCRWS6

Default Projectors on the Trans Am

Projectors for Firebirds and TAs 98+ I went HID on mine, doesn`t mean you have to......
Gonna need
Projectors: ordered mine from ebay, make sure you get measurements to be positive they will fit.
Drill,various bits
Dremel, cutting wheel, sanding wheel
Screw driver (phillips or flat head depending on what screw you go with)
Epoxy (if you want to seal up the front where the projector goes in)
H3 bulbs are what mine called for, I tried others....no luck get the bulbs your projectors call for.

My biggest problem with getting HIDs was I could see very well at night, but when people pull over till you pass....well time for some projectors!

Ordered some off Ebay, they were originally advertised as BMW/Audi Foglight Projectors, Cost me $65 with shipping

Next needed a sheet of lexan, Home Depot $10
Remove the metal retaining piece that holds in your sealed low beam housing

Place the lexan over the retainer and trace out the inside line of the piece (the point is to dremel out a part that will fit just inside the retainer)

Using a dremel or cutting tool cut out your piece, make sure it fits inside, trim it down till it does.

Next take apart your projector, mine had 4 screws and it was apart..

Use the reflector half to trace out the part in the center of your lexan square( this is the piece where your going to fit your projector into the lexan) cut the hole in the center just big enough so the back fits into it up to the lip of the reflector

Now take the lexan and the metal retainer and fit them together, drill four holes along the border of the metal piece small enough to thread your screws with washers attached....

From the front of the reflector go ahead and screw them in so the metal and the lexan are tight.
Should look like this when you are done

Now fit the reflector piece into the Lexan(its good to move it around a bit until sits in there right remember your projector throws a beam with a cutoff so you can angle it where you need to) Drill 4 holes through the lexan where the existing holes in the reflector are.
I placed 4 small washers under each hole between the reflector and the lexan, this was just to ensure it sits evenly.

I actually had to get longer screws to fit through the lexan, 4 washers, and into the lense part of the projector.

Time to reattach your projector lense, screw in all four and here is what you should have left....

Heres what they look like mounted, fitment is great, no different than replacing your stock headlight, Only issue is when you put the plastic trim back over the headlight, takes some wiggling, but nothing was damaged or cut.

Depending on what kind/size projector you get, you should be able to fit them into the stock headlight position without cutting anything besides the lexan(and you can always get more of that)

Beam pattern

More

Standing

Kneeling

Would love to hear some comments and anything that isn`t clear....

Last edited by SCRWS6; 05-15-2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: links not working
Old 05-15-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats bright as ****, it looks good. how much did that setup cost you??
Old 05-15-2007, 12:12 PM
SCRWS6

total
Projectors=$65
HID =$175
Lexan =$14
screws =$1
total =$255
unless you want to count the dremel, drill and various bits.......
Old 05-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I just looked at the projector, bulb, and beam pattern again. It looks like a fog light projector due to its size (shallow), beam pattern (flat), and bulb (fog light bulb). How does the distance and spread look? For which vehicle was this projector originally intended? Also, from the beam pattern pics, it looks like they are aimed a bit low.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 PM
SCRWS6

Thanks for the question
Yeah, it was advertised as a foglight projector, I believe it was meant for an Audi or BMW foglight.I have spent alot of time looking at other vehicles projectors and their height and the spread of the beam trying to get the aim right, I should have some pics tonight of what it looks like now. My main goal for this is to give everyone a template to put projectors in without cutting through the stock equipment. Just happened to be a foglight. It should be able to work with different projector housings.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:24 PM
SCRWS6

Dang....nobody? good or bad?
Old 05-15-2007, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like it alot!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

I didn't like it at first...but the more i look at it the more i want it! Damn this whole HID stuff gets confusing after awhile!!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

nice easy design
Old 05-16-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

looks real good I like how you simplifyed the process did you have to rewire for the bulbs or was it plug and play?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:34 AM
SCRWS6

with the kit I bought you have to cut or splice into one of the bulb connectors to be able to turn it on, it will work with any HID kit I believe as long as you have the right bulb for the projector....
Old 05-16-2007, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

great write up! looks like a good project.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

i wish i had money...i would do this right now! it looks amazing! i have wanted and looked for an EASY way to install and thanks to you i have found it!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

clean, relatively simple and it looks to work well. I've been wanting to do something like this with my LT1 bird but I have issues with room. Any issues with having the projector lense exposed like that?

-Brian
Old 05-18-2007, 05:56 PM
SCRWS6

Not really, its glass, nothing really yet, I guess if you wanted to cover it you could run an additional piece of lexan over the lense, not sure about clearance though.....might be a thought......

Quick Reply: Projectors on the Trans Am