Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replaced OEM Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replaced OEM Mirrors

I bought black OEM 02 T/A mirros for my 02 T/A. The mirrors are black. My car is red, i am chaning the theme. I willl post pics when i complete it. Anyways, i only did 1 mirror so far b/c i ran into a problem. I got my OEM red drivers side mirror off no problem. I then got the OEM black T/A mirror back into place no problem. I tightened the the bolts back up. Here is my problem. If you are standing inside the door obviously with it opened and you look down, you will see on the the mirror where it is starting to angle up, that it is not sitting flush on the door. The mirror is loose. To me, i think that there needs to be a piece of double sided tape to hold the mirror in place b/c the 3 screws do not hold it up..

Does anyone have any idea on a soultion to ym problem? Do i need some sort of tape? Or is the screws supposed to hold the mirror and that is it? What i did realize jsut now, is when i was puttign the black mirror back on, i did not support the mirror up. You know hold the mirror up while tightening it so that the screws pull it flush..

Let me know on some ideas.. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

no one has a guess

and beofore it is asked, there is nothing in the way that would make it not be flsuhed with the car.......
Old 05-29-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the threads, maybe there is a burr on one and it's keeping the nuts from going all the way on. I had three different side mirrors on my trans am and I never had a single problem, so that is all I can think of.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
check the threads, maybe there is a burr on one and it's keeping the nuts from going all the way on. I had three different side mirrors on my trans am and I never had a single problem, so that is all I can think of.

i searched for 30 mins and found not 1 single thread regarding this issue... What is a burr? I used my stock bolts off my car and put them onto the new black one....
Old 05-29-2007, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

i think he meant the threads on the bolts. not search..
Old 05-30-2007, 06:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

i dunno. Going to give it another shot today after work...
Old 05-30-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah I meant the threads on the bolts. All I can think of is that the nuts aren't being tightened down all the way because there is something on the threads or the threads are messed up. Other than that, maybe the mirrors changed design or somethin over the years?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
yeah I meant the threads on the bolts. All I can think of is that the nuts aren't being tightened down all the way because there is something on the threads or the threads are messed up. Other than that, maybe the mirrors changed design or somethin over the years?

My car is an 02, the mirros came off an 02.. I will check it all again when i get off of work
Old 05-30-2007, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

you could check the mounting bracket inside the mirror itself (the metal part that is held onto the plastic mirror housing with 3 screws) mine broke on the driver side and it sat apart from the door a little. you could easily use the mounting bracket from your old mirrors. just a thought.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by johnpr
you could check the mounting bracket inside the mirror itself (the metal part that is held onto the plastic mirror housing with 3 screws) mine broke on the driver side and it sat apart from the door a little. you could easily use the mounting bracket from your old mirrors. just a thought.

I can check that b/c i know that this particular mirror is cracked on the bottom where it mounts. I did not think that this would be a problem?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Johnpr on further insoection like you were saying the mounting point on the mirror was cracked. That is why it was staying flush with the door. So i replaced the mounting piece with another one put it back up and it mounts fine