Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Squeaks, noises, rattling and other nonsense

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaks, noises, rattling and other nonsense

Has anyone ever tried to reduce all the random squeaks, noises and rattling that your car makes? I mean the ones that come from your cupholder, window motor, clutch pedal, seats squeaking, and so on... To many it may not matter but I wanted to know if anyone has stories about how they went about doing this... I just can't help but think "stupid cheap shitty GM interior" every time I sit in my car or hear something squeak or rattle. Of course one I start driving I forget all of it ... but I would like to bring my car into top notch shape inside as much as I can
Old 06-05-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm with ya.

I haven't noticed the cup holder, window motor, and clutch pedal noises though, I've been too distracted by the passengerside A-Pillar cover rattle (more when it's cold out, much less when it's warm), the passenger side seatbelt, and the noise from the rear suspension - which only started after I installed the rear 3rd Gen Koni's, did the rear heaterhose mod, and installed a UMI double rod-ended PHB. (I don't think it's a part *quality* issue, it may just be the nature of rod ends, or the heater hose mod, or something I haven't tracked down yet. I have checked and re-checked the PHB install and it's torqued down where it should be and the bolts are in with the stock facing and eveything. I need to put the stock unit back on and see if hte noise persists, just haven't had time)

Oh, that and the suspension CRASHING into things because the compression damping on the front 4th Gen Koni SAs is so high.

But I've gotten the impression that most people here have a much higher tolerance for this stuff than I do. I suspect most are racers and view it from the perspective of a race car. And from that perspective, it's quiet as hell and rides exceedingly softly and comfortably. But from my perspective, with the goal of ultimate all around car that can cruise long distances with poise and grace... it's harsh, noisy, and rattly, and while the suspension is great for handling right now, it also slams into bumps and road irregularities. It's the high frequency response that is the problem. When the shocks move slow it's great. It's when you hit a recessed manhole cover or a pothole, or a road lip from grated to paved, that it feels like it didn't move and transmits the noise to the cabin. And even then, it's the noise that bothers me more than anything because I feel like I'm beating the snot out of hte poor car.

But I digress......

lol

I believe JasonWW has managed to get his car very quiet and smooth. He said something once about a rattle in the turn signal stalk. As it sits right now, I'd NEVER notice something like that in my car. Hopefully he'll chime in here.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't stand all the squeaking noises my car makes. Crappy build quality, but hey it's fast and it looks good so I put up with it.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

I have a nasty squeak in the rear hatch area somewhere sounds like somone dragging a sneaker sole across a waxed floor almost, very high pitched, and persistent when I am going over any series of bumps.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by koldnrg
I have a nasty squeak in the rear hatch area somewhere sounds like somone dragging a sneaker sole across a waxed floor almost, very high pitched, and persistent when I am going over any series of bumps.
werd. that is one of the worst.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Interesting. I looked at your sig, but don't see any rear suspension mods. My first thought was that you had poly bushings in something back there. Do you?
Old 06-05-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Add some SFC's and it will help quite a bit. I go through and use powdered graphite on most of my things that make noises. It lasts for a long time as well
Old 06-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Get some true duals then you won't hear anything....including the radio! lol

I think we are stuck with the squeaks, rattles etc. Hopefully the new 5th gen will be better without weighing 4000 lbs.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Check your spare tire. Mine came loose and it was making a very similar sound to what you describe.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blue99SS
Get some true duals then you won't hear anything....including the radio! lol

I think we are stuck with the squeaks, rattles etc. Hopefully the new 5th gen will be better without weighing 4000 lbs.
Only if there's a Trans Am. Otherwise the "5th gen" won't matter.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 95GreenZ28
Add some SFC's and it will help quite a bit. I go through and use powdered graphite on most of my things that make noises. It lasts for a long time as well
Weird. My noise issues seemed to get worse with SLP SFCs welded in.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

trying wrapping a towel around your spare tire and tightening it really well..That might help that

Old 06-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Launching!

I have that same sqeak coming from the hatch, it might have something to do with the styrofoam behind the back seat plastics. but i dont know i ahve it too, hopefully subframes get rid of alot
Old 06-05-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

I have a lot of random rattles and squeaks in the rear of my car. I did discover that the squeaks were coming from my spare tire so I removed it and that stopped some of the noise. I still get the rattles and the all too annoying clunk sound that my rear end makes when I let off the gas at low speeds.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stupid console rattles. Haven't figured out what, but I think its the blinds in the shift mechanism. Passenger seat belt is the most annoying stupid thing as well. ****, the damn thing rattles against the seat when the car is brand new, and the guys who did all the testing on the car did nothing to fix it.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

Most of my rear end noise went away when I got rid of those HARD F1 Eagles. As soon as I can locate the upper shock mounts for a vert, I'll get rid of one lousy squeak.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only noise that I can hear comes from my emergency brake. The damn thing rattles non stop, I usually just drive with my right hand holding. There probably were or are other noises but since the SFC's and TD's have been installed they are non existent to me.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

yep, have that one too. worst one is a terrible creaking sound coming from the driver side front suspension.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DrkPhynx
Interesting. I looked at your sig, but don't see any rear suspension mods. My first thought was that you had poly bushings in something back there. Do you?

No rear suspension mods, I really think it could be the rear tire so I am gonna try that first. If not may have to spring from some weld in subframes or something.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

SFCs also solved my problems

Quick Reply: Squeaks, noises, rattling and other nonsense