First....this is NOT an ad....
But Ive had a few TA and Bird folks ask how hard it was to change from their broken power antenna to a std Camaro fixed antenna.
I was approached by "Baron Von Doolgas" to swap out his antenna...on his 1998 Formula.
Having never done it I thought it would be a good thing to know..in the past all I could tell people was that thy need ed to get a Camaro antenna and install it....not allot of help...
Total time for this project...30min...We did this swap at 6am...Marines like to wake up early
10mm wrench and a drill motor and bit ~1/4 in...
The Complete Material List Total Cost ~25 bucks:
From GM Parts Direct
[EDIT.... THERE SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM WITH THE NUMBERS LISTED BELOW THEY WORKED FOR ME
BUT SEEMED TO HAVE CHANGED ... EDIT BitViper 11/20/2009]
Fixed mast--10425536 - The base that the new antenna mounts to.
Bezel-------10298264 / 10253391 - Not really required you can reuse your original..its the black rubber thingie
Bracket-----10282649 -- We didn't use this part
Attach bolt-11515756 Replacing Your Power Antenna
<== Link to thread with the correct numbers 08/23/2011
This is what we started with:
1. Open your rear door and remove the rear quarter panel covering the spare:
2. Remove the spare tire to expose the antenna motor:
3. Next using a crescent wrench loosen the top of the antenna base
4. next disconnect the electrical power wires an dteh antenna cable from the motor base and remove the nut at the base of the motor
A shot of the old electric base and the replacement base
5. We next trial fitted the new base in the car and marked the new base where the mounting whole on the original mounting bracket was..then unassembled it and drilled a hole for the attachment bolt. Our whole is the smaller one above the elongated one..I guess if you buy the bracket you can omit the drilling of the hole
6. Next reassemble the antenna back in the car..install the bolt and tighten. You can use a few washers to make sure that its completely vertical but we thought it wasn't necessary
7. Cap the electrical wires reconnect the antenna connection wire..
8. Replace the spare an d the plastic quarter panel stuff...
Done...I wont post that image directly cuz I don't wann get dinged by the mods....they got enough work...ignore the antenna we used..it could be any Camaro antenna The final results