Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anybody have pics on LS1 Trans AM front Bumper removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have pics on LS1 Trans AM front Bumper removal?

I am gonna install my FMIC and i was wondering if anyone has pics, or good info on front bumper removal...
Old 07-02-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Actually it's not that difficult.

All you need is a set of 1/4 metric wrenches with a long extension, and some 17 inch jack stands, an air cutoff tool, drill, and electric saw.

You will remove:

Two bolts for both headlights.
Three bolts that hold the bumper on top just front of the radiator,washer tank.
Ten or 12 bolts to remove the plastic covers underneath on either side that you access turn signal removal/replacement etc.
The hardest bolts to reach are three nuts on either side of the fender that holds the passenger and driver side of the bumper to the left and right fenders just aft of the headlights.

There are plastic snap bolts that hold the bottom of the bumper to the frame. Use a small screwdriver to pop them loose and then just pull them out. I accidently cut one off because I didn't know how they worked to unattach. Use the same method to remove the styrofoam bumper support behind the bumper.

I was able to remove the front bumper myself and attach it too, but it's easier if you have two people instead of just yourself.

Here are some of the pics with the bumper removed and the EPP FMIC kit partially installed.

I've emailed Bob about his kit. The brackets in my kit were too short as you can see in the pics. Had I followed the instructions and cut at the frame rails the brackets would have been way too short. There's only about a 1/2 inch of metal on either side of the bolt to hold the top bracket. Not enough IMO.

If you order the kit from EPP I would make sure the brackets have been changed before you order. The bottom bracket is too short period and isn't long enough to bolt onto the bottom frame rail bolts as suggested in the instructions.

Some pics below during the install.

Note: Top bracket is too short and so is the bottom bracket (not attached - I'll have to make a longer one). See pic.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/dlandsv@...04431972598/33

Note in pic below: Upper right corner of pic - nuts have to be removed from these three bolts to unattach the bumper from the fender (right and left).

The inlet pipe from intercooler is too long and needs to be shortened. It should be level so it fits above the plastic covers and/or metal plates ATI supplies with their kit.

The bypass value outlet points directly into the air pump so you will need to find a 90 degree radiator hose and cut it and attach to a K&N filter and the bypass valve and point it out towards the fender as I did.

I have no idea where you will be able to find a hose preformed to route the hose back from the bypass value to the inlet on the blower inlet if you want to vent back into the charger.

The outlet pipe from the charger inlet pipe to the tb for the bypass valve is also bigger than the bypass valve inlet end so you will need to cut a sleeve from the original ATI bypass valve hose and then attach the larger hose over the smaller sleeve it to get it to fit on the smaller sized bypass valve inlet.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/dlandsv@...04431972623/36

This pic below shows the bracket bolted on the driver side -just barely long enough to drill a 5/6 inch hole to attach the bracket.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/dlandsv@...04432003358/37

I'm making a longer bracket for bottom and top and looks like I will have to cut a section out of the inlet pipe, shorten and reweld.

I also made the mistake of not painting the pipes first, but each is easy to remove. Later I will polish them to bare metal and then clear coat them so they look polished. I'll probably have the top pipe coated.

hth

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 07-02-2007 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Here is a great thread on it. Helped me out a ton. The thread with the Camaro SLP grill installation helps a lot too but the TA and Camaro front bumpers are pretty different.

http://www.myls1.com/myls1-com-install-guides/912.htm
Old 12-03-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

bumper removal is so easy a caveman could do it
Old 12-03-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Err thread is over 4 years old, why would you bump this exactly?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Jesus Christ start a new thread and people bitch that you should search. Search and offer up new information and people bitch about bumping old threads. How about if you don't have any constructive information to add to the conversation of bumper removal, you **** off? I'm offering up a good thread for the next person like me who searches for "bumper removal" that will help them out.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Adam86
Jesus Christ start a new thread and people bitch that you should search. Search and offer up new information and people bitch about bumping old threads. How about if you don't have any constructive information to add to the conversation of bumper removal, you **** off? I'm offering up a good thread for the next person like me who searches for "bumper removal" that will help them out.
Err how about you chill the **** out, looks to me like I was just offering a question. It was stupid honestly. If you were asking a question, sure. All you did was just suddenly throw out a ******* link like some 1 post noobie who has never been on a forum before and has no clue. Gtfo
Old 12-04-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Riiiiiiight. Have anything worthwhile to say yet? No? Then suck it. I offered up a helpful link to people like me who actually do a little searching when they need help. Don't like it? Then stfu and go troll somewhere else.

But whatever you say internet tough guy. Someone feel free to clean this thread up and/or lock it.

Last edited by Adam86; 12-04-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Adam86
Riiiiiiight. Have anything worthwhile to say yet? No? Then suck it. I offered up a helpful link to people like me who actually do a little searching when they need help. Don't like it? Then stfu and go troll somewhere else.

But whatever you say internet tough guy. Someone feel free to clean this thread up and/or lock it.
Useless useless useless. You and all of your posts

Quick Reply: Anybody have pics on LS1 Trans AM front Bumper removal?