Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rained in my car(leather seats) help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rained in my car(leather seats) help...

what can i do to speed up the process of it drying out and not ruin my seats...my window was about half the way down for about 4 hours of straight rain....its not actually as bad as i thought but two days later my drivers seat is still damp...id take it out and put it in the sun, but its still raining...what can i do to speed up the process?
Old 07-29-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

put all the windows up, put it on Max A/C, crank the heat all the way up and let it run for an hour or two
Old 07-29-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

thought about that, but its setting on E cause i came home that night at 3AM and no gas stations were open...and i really dont feel like getting my *** and back soaked again...but if thats what its gonna take and someone else doesn't tell me something soon, ill end up doin it
Old 07-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

I'd recommend a more thorough approach...

Tore out my ENTIRE interior last weekend after standing water was found in foot wells of rear passenger seats (flash flood got water in there somehow).

It doesn't take that long and the car is 100% better, not to mention the relief of knowing your car is clean, dry, and not going to become a rust bucket.

I took out the seats, interior trim, and carpet. Drained what remaining water was in there through the plugs in the floorpans. Bleached the metal floorpan surfaces, tore off the old, wet carpet padding, steam-cleaned both sides of the carpet (bottom is rubberized), conditioned leather seats, replaced carpet padding (on reverse side of carpet) with new from Lowes and reinstalled everything.

1 hour to tear out (really quite straight forward). 4-5 to wipe down, steam-clean, condition, reapply padding, etc. And about 2 hours to put it all back in properly.

I'd recommend a similar process in your case due to the possibility of water under the carpet and sitting against the floorpans (it won't dry on it's own, trust me). It's COMPLETELY worth the effort and, as I said, I sleep a lot easier knowing my interior is clean and dry, both where I can see it and, more importantly, where I can't.

HTH,

-John

Last edited by jai5w4; 07-29-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

well who exactly did u dry the seats out?...just by cleaning them?

did u let them set out in the sun or what?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this happened to me a few years ago. same situation, windows were 3/4 way up and it rained overnight. It took about a week but everyday I would go out with a few towels and soak up the water in the seats and on the carpet. it wasn't a whole lot of water, I just kept doing it just in case there was any water left in the carpet.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah I would just take out all the interior like jai5w4 said. it would be worth the effort
Old 07-29-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

yep take it out, water will sit under those carpets for a very long time and your interior will smell like mildew. Gotta just remove the interior. The coating on these cars is pretty good though so I don't think you have to worry about rust.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

well that sucks...i guess ill have to wait for a while...looks liek they are giving rain all week...and all i got is a carport
Old 07-29-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

That water won't really disappear below the carpet...if you don't do it now, you will regret it later
Old 07-29-2007, 06:10 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Concerning the seats, I have just run the heater with the windows cracked in the past.

Concerning the carpet, can you not suck the water through the pad and carpet into a good wet-dry vacuum? I helped an acquaintance prep a really dirty f-body for sale once. The carpeting looked quite bad. I soaked it in cleaner and used a garden hose to blast it in places. Then I vacuumed very, very thoroughly, and repeated. Let it sit in the sun for a while, and looked good as new. No problems down the road from any residual moisture.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bsf
Concerning the seats, I have just run the heater with the windows cracked in the past.

Concerning the carpet, can you not suck the water through the pad and carpet into a good wet-dry vacuum? I helped an acquaintance prep a really dirty f-body for sale once. The carpeting looked quite bad. I soaked it in cleaner and used a garden hose to blast it in places. Then I vacuumed very, very thoroughly, and repeated. Let it sit in the sun for a while, and looked good as new. No problems down the road from any residual moisture.
I think there's a moisture barrier on the underside of the carpet. Water is going to collect underneath it and just sit there. I tried airing out my GTA for 5 days in the sun. When I pulled up the carpet there was a pool of water in the trunk area. This was after being garaged for a year and a half!
Old 07-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bsf
...Concerning the carpet, can you not suck the water through the pad and carpet into a good wet-dry vacuum?
No. There is a moisture-barrier (as mentioned in the post above) that is basically rubberized and keeps moisture from being sucked up by a good wet/dry vac.

-John
Old 07-29-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had this happen to me, driver seat sat in the sun and shrank so much it tore. Now I need new seats

Quick Reply: Rained in my car(leather seats) help...