Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just used porter cable from Tropi-care, some thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just used porter cable from Tropi-care, some thoughts

I just used the porter cable kit I received from Tropi-care about a week ago. I am very pleased with the results, the car looks great and is smooth like glass. I think it can still be better though as in the sun there are still some areas where I can still see some swirl marks.

I used the PC with the orange pad and used Menzerna Intensive polish, then the blue pad and Menzerna Final Polish II.

What technique do you guys use? How fast do you set the PC when applying the swirl removing compound? How many passes do you make over the same spot? And does the tropi-care TC-8 do a better job than the Menzerna Intensive polish?

Thanks in advance.

Michael
Old 10-10-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question,i bought the PC and used trop-care's swirl cutter. It did descent,i was happy with the results but it left me wanting more. Maybe i didn't go over the areas enough with the swirl cutter? Overall the car looks 10x better but in certain lighting the swirl marks still show. If there is something that will get rid of the swirl marks better i'd love to hear about it
Old 10-10-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats how I felt, I should also add that my car is an 02 with about 55k and is usually kept under a car cover so the paint is in pretty good shape.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How bad does your car usually have to be to step up to a yellow pad? Everything I've read says that that pad is used for heavy oxidation and really bad scratches. Maybe I just need to work slower with the orange pad.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Using the orange foam pad/Swirl Cutter combo, you may have realized the initial improvement and clarity in the finish. The finer lines will be removed first and reveal the remaining deeper ones. If you are unable to remove these deeper, more stubborn scratches, it may be necessary to make another pass moving at the surface rate of 1"/second while using speed 4-5 on the buffer.

If your markings resemble this pattern here, these are commonly referred to as "spider scratches" or "spider webbing". These are typically more difficult to remove as they cut deeper on the paint surface as compared to swirl marks which appear as a hologram when viewed at different angles in the sun.

As you continue working with the machine, you will quickly learn its capabilities and see steady improvement in your working time and surface condition. Keep a spray bottle of distilled water handy to lightly mist the surface area while working. This will keep dusting to a minimum and reduce the chance of inflicting micro-marring.

The TC-8 Swirl Cutter is a light cutting micro-abrasive with an aggressiveness rating about 4 on a 10 scale. It is designed to remove the ultra-fine scratches of swirl marks and holograms that are inflicted with the use of a rotary polisher. For these stubborn scratches, they may need addressed with a yellow medium cutting pad and more aggressive product to level the surface before following up with the orange pad/SC combo to further refine the area.

Feel free to contact me with any questions regarding the use of Swirl Cutter or the Porter Cable buffer. Reach me here or at toll-free (866)341-0050.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car doesn't have scratching near that bad thank god. Yes, there was definitely an improvement over the way it was before. But you're saying that can expose more scratches. Looks like I will go over the car another time and really take my time. What sequence of pads should be used with your kit? From reading on the forum it looks like people are going over the car with the orange pad, then white, then blue. The white pad I have came with the PC, is that a good one to use when applying a sealant like TC-3 or Menzerna FP II?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Always start with the least aggressive approach before deciding to increasing treatment. When is it time to use a yellow pad and heavier cutting product?

Before

After

This was done using a yellow pad and 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound and yellow "cutting" pad before following up with the Swirl Cutter/orange pad. From this point the surface can be even further refined before applying the last step product with a black or blue finishing pad.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speed 6 is my favorite with the TC8
Old 10-10-2007, 06:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
My car doesn't have scratching near that bad thank god. Yes, there was definitely an improvement over the way it was before. But you're saying that can expose more scratches. Looks like I will go over the car another time and really take my time. What sequence of pads should be used with your kit? From reading on the forum it looks like people are going over the car with the orange pad, then white, then blue. The white pad I have came with the PC, is that a good one to use when applying a sealant like TC-3 or Menzerna FP II?
Unfortunately I see more of this condition than one may think. Yes, in lesser degrees, but they're out there.

As you remove the finer scratches, the remaining ones become more noticeable as the surface clarity improves.

From most aggressive to least in the Lake Country series:
Yellow- if necessary
Orange-the workhorse for surface restoration
White-further refinement
Black-finishing
or
Blue-softer finishing than black(your choice of these last two for last step products such as the TC-3)

The white pad that comes with the PC kit has a fixed spindle/backing plate attached. I have not used it on the paint previously. You would need to switch this one out and install the velcro-backed backing plate for using the other color pads.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
I found the clear on these cars to be on the hard side, GM clear is typically hard, so speed 6 is the only way to go. I also have IP and FPII and this combo will work very well. Work small areas at a time, maybe 2ft x 2ft or even 2ft x 1ft, move the machine slowly about 1 inch per second and work the area for a few minutes. You have to break down the polish properly for it to do its job. Use the orange pad with IP and a polishing pad (white) with FPII then your wax of choice. I wouldn't use the white pad that came the PC on paint. Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replys guys, I'll give it another go this weekend if the rain lets up and hopefully have some pics up with the new tint as well.