Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ideas for complete engine bay clean-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Ideas for complete engine bay clean-up

I have the car nearly completely disassembled now. I have pulled the heater box and all the other stuff from the dash and engine bay. Also have pulled most fo the wiring harness. This is what I am thinking:

1 - Place the PCM under the dash inside the car where the heater box was. Should be relatively easy since it was very near that location already. Just have to make a mount.

2 - Rerun most fo the factory wiring in a more eye pleasing fashion, so that the wires don't snake all over the engine bay.

3 - Mount my Hawker Genesis battery back where the heater box and PCM were located in the engine bay.

ABS, A/C, PS have already been removed. This will be a drag car for the most part, but I want it to have nice details also. Clean is the main objective. I hate busy looking engine bays.

Any ideas on what color to paint the engine with a bright red car? Was thinking silver or black.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Ideas for complete engine bay clean-up

Hmmm.. a red car.. What is your accent color? When you say "paint the engine" do you mean the engine bay or the actually block/heads?? Painting the block silver would be counter productive.. more info and maybe pics as well would help.

I like a CLEAN engine bay
Old 07-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

The red ram air cars have silver/pewter accents, but black is also doable. Will be repainting the bay itself red. The silver for the block would not be counterproductive, because it's an iron blovk and they come in black. What other colors might work for the engine?
Old 07-07-2003, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im a fan of black.

On my red 98 WS6, all the "non impressive" parts i have plans to paint black.

Currently the brakes are black, black center section between the taillights.

i have a set of valvecovers at the powdercoaters not being done in black. I want to do all the brackets, and ect, under the hood in black.

But for your motor, it might be sweet to paint it silver, as it is an impressive piece...

Ryan.

Old 07-08-2003, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

I am actually thinking in a different direction now. Am thinking of repainting the engine bay in semi-gloss black (like the old days) and painting the engine red or silver. This would be a brake from the traditional "body-colored" engine bay.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black engine bay w/ a red block, leaving the heads aluminum, and painting the intake manifold silver to match the heads...

That would look AWESOME!
Old 07-08-2003, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am thinking of repainting the engine bay in semi-gloss black (like the old days) and painting the engine red or silver. This would be a brake from the traditional "body-colored" engine bay.
Todd... Well, not all muscle cars in the "old days" had a semi-gloss black engine bay. Case in point: My old 69 Ply Road Runner's engine bay was body colored from the factory. Just my opinion, but I would leave yours the factory color. Maybe it would look better if it was clear coated like the outside of the car. My engine bay is a dull silver, unlike the outside which is bright silver.

Jeeze Todd... You even pulled out the heater box!
You have more guts than I do.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Black engine bay w/ a red block, leaving the heads aluminum, and painting the intake manifold silver to match the heads...

That would look AWESOME!

Hmmmmmm............you may be onto something.

Ron...I want something different. Tired of looking at the same-old-same-old. Car is not really gonna be a driver any more, except when the weather is good. Don't need a heater for that You can't believe how much crap is up under that dash until you start removing things. I bet I dropped 50+ pounds by removing the box and all that ducting and insulation under there. Gave me a nice place to mount the PCM also (inside the car).
Old 07-08-2003, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would look AWESOME!

Hmmmmmm............you may be onto something.
I think it would give it a certain "old school" (dare I say, retro) look to a very modern engine/engine bay. VERY COOL!

Quick Reply: Ideas for complete engine bay clean-up