Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where to mount Zune/IPod?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to mount Zune/IPod?

Hey, I'm wanting to mount my Zune m.p. somewhere but I'm having trouble finding an alright place, for my taste, and I'm not sure how I'm going to mount it. There many ways to mount it that I can think of, 1 going to the hardware store & finding a piece that I can stick in my head casing or maybe just get some Velcro( although it wouldn't do any Damage)... not sure though. What have yall done?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:29 AM
Banned

i have mine sitting in the glove box.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:35 AM
Launching!

Set it in the little cubby hole where i wish my TCS was
Old 02-20-2008, 03:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cookba
i have mine sitting in the glove box.
Yeah It's setting in the retractable cupholder. But I'm wantin to have easy access to the buttons and have a solid surface to press on.

Originally Posted by go-t
Set it in the little cubby hole where i wish my TCS was
I did that for well about 5 minutes once, until the aux cable was getting in the way of me shifting.

Looking down to sift through my mp isn't safe, especially going 110mph, and thats what I've been doing. I have to pick it up with my right hand, look down, push on it, look at what I'm selecting and almost die. I have a playlist, but I like choosing what to play.
I'm thinking about getting Velcro and hookin it onto the center of my kenwood head unit.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's where I put mine

Old 02-20-2008, 04:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StrobinSS
Here's where I put mine

Yeah I like that placement man. I wanna set it in front of my face though so I don't have to look down.. I almost killed myself lookin down at the screen today.
I'm gonna use the Velcro & i'll throw up a picture and mayb yall can give a 2nd opinion.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by apayner1
Yeah I like that placement man. I wanna set it in front of my face though so I don't have to look down.. I almost killed myself lookin down at the screen today.
I'm gonna use the Velcro & i'll throw up a picture and mayb yall can give a 2nd opinion.
Don't they make a remote for the Zune? I don't have one but I remember seeing one somewhere. How are you getting the sound to your radio? I had a monster FM modulator that sucked ***. You had to turn the radio way up to hear it.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Strobinss- damnit, It thought I was the only one who did that sure is an easy way to set it up though, no drilling or anything
Old 02-20-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine goes good in the cup holder
Old 02-20-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking down to sift through my mp isn't safe, especially going 110mph, and thats what I've been doing. I have to pick it up with my right hand, look down, push on it, look at what I'm selecting and almost die.
You're not very smart are you? I'll tell you a simple solution to your problem. SLOW DOWN.. keep your eyes on the road, and hands on the steering wheel. Once you get up to a stop light/sign, feel free to change songs. If you feel the need to change songs where there are no red lights/signs, then pull off the road onto a side street, and change your song there.

Best part about the whole process is that it keeps you safe, and keeps other drivers safe as well. You wouldn't try fumbling around on that thing while you were drag racing would you? So why do it on a public road where your life and lives of others are constantly at risk? Changing stations or CD's I can understand, you can do that blindfolded. It doesn't require you to take your eyes off the road, and if it does, it's only for a split second. But to try to navigate through an ipod, or whatever you have, while trying to drive at 110 mph is just pure stupidity

Concerned citizen out..
Old 02-21-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Guess I forgot to mention that connection goes to aftermarket radio that controls the ipod and displays the name of the songs on it so I don't have to look down into the center box to change the song, just plug it in and shut the door, not to mention it charges it.

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
Strobinss- damnit, It thought I was the only one who did that sure is an easy way to set it up though, no drilling or anything
haha yeah it sits in there perfectly.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Morpheus
Don't they make a remote for the Zune? I don't have one but I remember seeing one somewhere. How are you getting the sound to your radio? I had a monster FM modulator that sucked ***. You had to turn the radio way up to hear it.
FM modulators suck big time. I used one with my old iPod for about 10 minutes, then almost threw it out the window. It was staticy and quiet. The only way I'll ever use an iPod in a car again, is if I have the AUX input right on the head unit.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

where are yall getting those cables at and are yall still using the stock HU?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by reject
where are yall getting those cables at and are yall still using the stock HU?
You can get the cable about anywhere probably. I just threw mine in with an online order from somewhere. It was only a couple bucks for a 6' cable. All it is, is an audio cable with regular headphone jacks on each end. I think there's a kit you can get to use them on a receiver not equipped with an AUX input, but i'm not 100% sure about that.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

are you talking about the one like presto has? his looks like it has a diff connection going to the botton of the zune instead of the headphone jack deal
Old 02-21-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

are you talking about the one like presto has? his looks like it has a diff connection going to the botton of the zune instead of the headphone jack deal
His looks like it may have an FM Modulator plugged into the bottom, which you don't want. It could also be that he's got a cable run to charge it while it's docked there.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine is not an FM transmitter, it is connected directly to my alpine headunit/flip out monitor. it charges and plays audio and video from the single plug.. FM transmitters are garbage (well i think so anyway)
Old 02-21-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

link-o sir?
Old 02-21-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

link-o sir?
x2. That sounds like a good way to have it hooked up. And I totally agree, FM Modulators are garbage.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

whats wrong with mount that plugs into your cigarette lighter?? Thats what i have and it works great, no problems. ever.

Quick Reply: Where to mount Zune/IPod?