Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car Show: Part II

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 11:30 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Car Show: Part II

Well this past SAT I had time to enter another semi judged car show (Most show's I've been entering in are free cruize nights).

If you remember my 1st post, I talked about how I entered a UPS show and they judged my car very quick ect, well I ended up talking to a person who was one of the workers at that show and he told me how I was supposted to win best of class (aka 1st place), but then 2 vette's showed up with a brake kit and entered my class 5 mins before it closed and since the vette owners also worked with the people that judged the show, they awarded it to their friends. Still pretty shady, but at least I know I was supposted to win that show.

But on to the show that happened this weekend. Very nice day out and the turnout was pretty good. It was a judged show, but the judges IMO were pretty crappy. I ended up taking 3rd for my class (won a little trophy), but me and a few others at the show thought I should have taken 1st or at least 2nd. 1st place ended up going to a showroom PT cruizer with a few bolt on's . 2nd place winner tho is kind of what ticked me off. Even though he had a pretty decent 02 Z28, it wasen't in the greatest condition. Two of the rims had curb rash, front bumper had many deep scrathches, interior was alright (little dirty), the aftermarket SS hood was peeling, car wasn't all that shinney and few mods. The engine bay was dirty, only thing done was Z06 covers that weren't exactly fit. Great guy tho. So my car being really clean, perfect paint, clean engine bay, tons of mods in all area's of the car. And I even had a nice detailed mod sheet on the dash. Guess the judges didn't like me? But not like they are real judges anyway, just had to vent again

*Here's 2 picture's of my car from the show:

Old 07-15-2003, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Car Show: Part II

I am sure that your car looked great but at least you got third plcae which I think is cool.

If it was me, I would be happy with third instead of no place.

Also, your car looks great in those pics and congrats on your placing.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:47 PM
Customizing Director

If it was me, I would be happy with third instead of no place.

Also, your car looks great in those pics and congrats on your placing.
Yea I am happy that I did recive something than nothing, but when compared to the people above me I think i should have done better. Thanks for kind words tho!

*On another note, I found it pretty funny how many people asked me if I did everything myself. I did, so I say yes and then they say, "even the corvette motor swap", hehe. Must say that was priceless.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:01 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I gotta say, your car looks MUCH better with the Z06 wheels. Torque Thrusts are soooo lame now, just about every car on the HotRod Power Tour had them. I don't know why, but Z06 wheels just look "right" on a Camaro.

how about some close up pics on the black painted headlights? I think I'll do that to my 02 SS. I don't like all the chrome in there. Was it hard to take the lights apart? never even looked yet.

Tony
Old 07-16-2003, 12:14 AM
Customizing Director

Nine Ball - Thanks for the compliment. Once I put the Z06's on their I liked them must better then the TT2's, plus these are 18's which just fill up the area much better. As for the headlights: I thought it was a pain to take them apart, but thats basically because I was scared and my 1st time doing such a thing. Now I don't feel like I'd have trouble with them. Once you get them apart you have to scuff the chrome off a fair amount and paint them really good. I sanded them down wit steel wool, used a air gun to get rid of all the dirt and cleaned them with rubbing alc. Then you have to mask off the chrome area that you don't want to paint; which did take some time to do. After that I primered them with 3 coats, 5 coats of paint, and 3 coats of clear. They don't get hot enough for the use of high temp paint. I've gone 3 months with 0 problems. Taking them apart after having them sit in the oven will probably be the hardest part as it was for me. Here's an older close up picture of the light (I also used charcoal grey metallic instead of black):

Old 07-16-2003, 03:02 AM
Teching In

The black around the headlights is a nice touch. I may do that and save some $$ instead of buying the halo lights...

You have a great lookin car, and congrats on takin 3rd
Old 07-16-2003, 07:38 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

You had to put the lights in an oven? Oh boy, please explain the disassembly procedure.

Tony
Old 07-16-2003, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

NICE car
Old 07-16-2003, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

I just like participating in car shows for the fun factor and not go in there expecting to win. I had a similar situation happen to me last year at a local Elks Lodge show where I entered the Camaro/Firebird class and only a few minutes before entry time expired a slick and heavily modified '68 Camaro SS pulled in. This thing was a completely gutted drag race car in excellent condition. The kicker is that there was also a "Heavily Modified" class in the show. But instead of entering that class, they entered it in the Camaro/Firebird class. Yes, it was legal for them to do so. After the judging was completed I was called up along with the owner of the '68 as being tied for 2nd place. The judges re-judged and awarded them with the 2nd place trophy. Had they entered the "Heavily Modified" class, they would have taken 1st place hands down and I would have won 2nd place for the Camaro/Firebird class.

You have a great car there. Don't let a bad judging experience get ya down.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Exactly lke SIGGY said. It is just fun to participate and BS with all the other participants. I have been in the same car show for like 3 years now and i get third every year to restored 67/69 camaros. I realize that i have no chance of beating them but it is still fun. I am going to enter a car show this weekend and again the classes are VEEEEEEERRRRY broad, but hey i think it will be fun!
Old 07-16-2003, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha! welcome to my world.. we have wierd f'ing shows out here.. I lost one show to a BEAT 69.. why? because my car is new and therefore hasnt had any work done to it.. (words of the "judge")

At a Camaro event I didnt ever place in the top 4 cars in the fourth gen class.. One car that beat me was a bone stock brand new 35thLE.. didnt even have the hood open.. turn out the head judge and I have a history from back in the day and he just walked by my car (and those around me) without judging us..

Point is its a wierd thing.. the only time you can be sure its all square is if you go to a professional car show like Super Chevy or something similar.

Heck, I go to some of the shows and the old cars joke about how fixed it is and that its "jimmys" turn to win this week.. sorta funny. The point is dont ever get upset if you dont win, even if its obvious you should have since you never know what going on "behind the sceans"

Took the SS to one of its final (maybe THE final) cruise night yesterday.. won "Best Modern Cruiser".. So that was nice
Old 07-16-2003, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been in the same car show for like 3 years now and i get third every year to restored 67/69 camaros. I realize that i have no chance of beating them but it is still fun.
That has happened to me the last 2 years at the Brea car show.. im just in Camaro class and get beat by the first gens.. This year though I was awarded first place.. i guess there was MUCH strife among the judges about it and the ones on "my side" finally convinced the others that I had a TON of work on my car and my SS was the cleanest/most detailed by far.. It was a very nice win (and the first gen guys look plain pissed)
Old 07-16-2003, 11:39 AM
Customizing Director

You had to put the lights in an oven? Oh boy, please explain the disassembly procedure.
lol, yea that was what I was thinking at first. If you put it in too hot then you will get spider cracks all along the headlight. I found it best to have it preheated at 210 degrees. Then you center one headlight in their for about 20mins (you'll need to keep an eye on it so nothing funny happens). After the 20mins take the lens out and grab a metal butter knife and start making your way around the lens tring to sperate. Your gonna have to use a little bit of force, but still try to be careful as you can crack a peice of the back off (If this happens it can be fixed). After going around the whole light I found it best to get them open from the high beam lens. If you don't think its gonna come apart head it up in the oven again.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:43 AM
Customizing Director

Thanks to everyone else. I personally do go to car shows just for the fun of it, which is a reason I goto a lot of free non-judged shows. But I just found it crazy how the 1st and 2nd place cars won. I did get my score sheet from them and recived a 97.4 out of 100 possible points.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats Kevin. At least they recognised all your hard work.

Once you hit a BIG time show like Super Chevy, you'll experience some good/decent judging -althouhg the classifications for Super Chevy are wierd.

BTW love them Z06's!
Old 07-16-2003, 11:59 AM
Customizing Director

Congrats Kevin. At least they recognised all your hard work.

Once you hit a BIG time show like Super Chevy, you'll experience some good/decent judging -althouhg the classifications for Super Chevy are wierd.

BTW love them Z06's!
Yea I can't wait for superchevy. I was just reading up on it last night and its about 4 weeks away ... man summer is going by quick.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:10 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

The 18's look pretty darn nice.

I think it's lame when you lose to a car with curbed rims and body scratches!
Old 07-16-2003, 12:15 PM
Customizing Director

The 18's look pretty darn nice.

I think it's lame when you lose to a car with curbed rims and body scratches!
Yea the 18's totally changed the car. I'm suprized you didn't say anything about ridding the hash stripes and putting the hockey stripes on like you usually do, hehe

Yea I feel the same way about losing to that car, pretty shady judging.

Quick Reply: Car Show: Part II