Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Linear Actuators

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linear Actuators

I have been considering getting a pin-on hood and using four linear actuators to lift the hood off the car. I dont know a lot about them and just wanted to see if anyone else has done it. Ide also be putting them on the back hatch to open that as well.

Im sure some will think this is gay or ricey, but i am building a quality show car and i thought it would be a nice effect. I think it would be cool to hit a switch and have both lift up. it will have a lot of "go" (around 700 hp) so it would be nice to be able to remove them if they weigh to much when i go to the track.

Last edited by Mike@HSW; 02-28-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 355 Likes on 268 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

you talking about replacing the hood and trunk struts with these? or putting one of these on all 4 corners of the hood?

if its the 4 corners would it be albe to lift the hood high enought to really serve the purpose??

if your looking for show and your wanting to suspend the hood like that why not just use 4 polls that would bassically act as extensions for the pin mechanism, that way it could actually lift the hood enough for people to see what you are wanting to show off, it would have a cool factor but i doubt you will be there hitting the hood buttons every 5 minutes to demonstrate it.

but on the trunk it would be very cool expecially if you could tie it in to you key fob where you could open and close the trunks like they do with the rear hatch in some of the suv's
Old 02-28-2008, 03:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
you talking about replacing the hood and trunk struts with these? or putting one of these on all 4 corners of the hood?

if its the 4 corners would it be albe to lift the hood high enought to really serve the purpose??

if your looking for show and your wanting to suspend the hood like that why not just use 4 polls that would bassically act as extensions for the pin mechanism, that way it could actually lift the hood enough for people to see what you are wanting to show off, it would have a cool factor but i doubt you will be there hitting the hood buttons every 5 minutes to demonstrate it.

but on the trunk it would be very cool expecially if you could tie it in to you key fob where you could open and close the trunks like they do with the rear hatch in some of the suv's
Yes i want to have them situated at 4 points on the hood to lift it straight off the car. i have found actuators that go up to 36" for about a 100 a piece. i figure three feet to be high enough to see everything. this is definitley a street car and ide love to roll up to a meet, hit a switch and just have **** starting to open

ya i totally agree on the hatch, especially with what i will have back there.....2 10lb nitrous bottles with billet brackets, 2 2.5 pound nitrogen bottles suspended from the roll cage. flush mounted polished aluminum methonal fuel cell, and next to that a battery with Specialized stainless polished cover. All the panels are also being covered in specialized stainless leather kit.
haha i just want to have that effect where it opens and people are like HOLY ****.
im going to wire the hatch release with the actuators, so as soon as you hit the release button they will start to lift the hatch

Last edited by Mike@HSW; 02-28-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a neat idea man, if you can pull it off without looking ricey, it'll be def. a head turner
Old 02-28-2008, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mean Green z28
That's a neat idea man, if you can pull it off without looking ricey, it'll be def. a head turner
haha when you hear and see this thing, rice will be the last thing in your head.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

got a link to the actuators id be interested at looking at them, will they fit at all 4 corners? i agree its an awesome idea but i was just giving you things to think about before spending the money for trial and error
Old 02-28-2008, 03:15 PM
FormerVendor

got a link to the actuators id be interested at looking at them, will they fit at all 4 corners? i agree its an awesome idea but i was just giving you things to think about before spending the money for trial and error
I'll PM you the link, i gotta find it again i was just looking quickly earlier. Ya it all sounds simple but actually mounting them i believe is going to be the bitch. I might have to go with a scissor effect and have guides on the hood. For now I’d like to find a way to mount them vertical so they lift it straight up. I should be able to simply measure in certain spots and see if they can be mounted vertical. Im thinking one on each side of the radiator, they should be easy. The other two will be mounted under the cowl to the firewall between the fenders and motor….that’s the part I am figuring might night be possible with my headers.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

yeah there is a lot of space up front to make that work but the rear section is where it will get tricky cause you just dont have a lot of depth to work with
Old 02-28-2008, 03:36 PM
FormerVendor

yeah there is a lot of space up front to make that work but the rear section is where it will get tricky cause you just dont have a lot of depth to work with
i would be ok if i had to use a shorter one in the back, it just has to have the ability to pivot at the point it connects to the hood. i figure i might be able to fit a 24 incher back there. so the back will lift a little less then the front but i still think that would look cool. plus given the angle of slope on the front end a 6 inch shorter rear lifter will probably come out to even.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

going with hydraulics lifts would certainly take care of your weight issue. However, plumbing the system might prove difficult and may require more work than you want. Interesting idea.

-brian
Old 02-28-2008, 03:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
going with hydraulics lifts would certainly take care of your weight issue. However, plumbing the system might prove difficult and may require more work than you want. Interesting idea.

-brian
the ones i found had a lifting capacity of 150lbs each haha so im sure 600 lbs would be enough to lift a 30lb fiberglass hood. the rear hatch will obviously be much heavier, especially because its a pivot motion. they had 400lb capacity ones at the same price so that may be more then enough.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

it would be diff and ok for a show car but i dont really care for the idea

Quick Reply: Linear Actuators